2020 talent level potential compared to past teams | The Boneyard

2020 talent level potential compared to past teams

Reaction Score
A post from @caw in another thread got me thinking.

“caw said:
I am enjoying this year so far quite a bit, with AG, next years team could be verygood.
Guards: AG (5th year), RC (4th year), BA (Jr), JB (So), JG (So)
Wings: SW (4th year), Tyler Phommachanh (Sr), AA (3rd year), AJ (Fr)
Bigs: JC (Sr), IW (Sr), RS (2nd year), Javonte Brown Ferguson (Fr)
That is a incredibly deep and talented team that looks closer to what we expect at UConn.
Biggest flaw this year is not having any available scholarship players at 11, 12, 13.”

If AG comes back next year we will have potentially our most talented team since 09 or possibly even 06.

This could be a case of “what have you done for me lately” so I wanted the Boneyards opinion.

I followed Caws format and added a breakdown of the 05-06 and 08-09 rosters.

20 Guards: AG (5th year), RC (4th year), BA (Jr), JB (So), JG (So)

09 Guards: Austrie (sr), kemba(fr), price(sr), Dyson(jr) Beverly(so)

06 Guards: m-Williams (jr), Garrison(fr), Denham(sr), rashad(sr) austrie(fr)

20 Wings: SW (4th year), Tyler Phommachanh (Sr), AA (3rd year), AJ (Fr)

09 wings: stanley (so)

06 wings: rudy(so) Marcus Johnson(fr)

20 Bigs: JC (Sr), IW (Sr), RS (2nd year), Javonte Brown Ferguson (Fr)

09 bigs: Thabeet(jr), Adrien(sr), okwandu (so), mandledove (jr)

06 bigs: Adrien(fr), hilton(sr), boone(jr) Nelson(sr)

In my opinion next years team is more talented on paper than the 09 team but not as talented as the 06 team.

What do you guys think?

Reaction Score
Not close on either account. The only position group I would take is next year’s wings over the 09 team, which didn’t really have a true wing player.

Reaction Score
Not close on either account. The only position group I would take is next year’s wings over the 09 team, which didn’t really have a true wing player.

Go deeper into your analysis

Reaction Score

I think next years guards are potentially better than 09’s. (Kemba was a freshman)

Reaction Score
Price Adrien and Thabeet were better than anyone and everyone on next years team.

I may agree. Although sophomore Bouk and Akok May be better than Adrien and price.

There is no comparison to Thabeet

Reaction Score
You are listing final four caliber rosters compared to next years team, seems like a reach

The 09 team was super talented... is next years Team the most talented since?

Are they more talented than 11?

Reaction Score
I think you forget how good AJ price was

I think you’re right... it’s probably a case of enjoying the current success and growth of this team and looking forward to what may happen next year.

Reaction Score
prospect is the key word here. One actually did it the other has a chance to do it
Of course, one guy is 33 and the other guy just turned 19. AJ was the 52nd pick and a journeyman bench guy. I see the most we get out of Bohknight is a junior year but that's asking an awful lot, my guess is we only have him for two years because NBA teams will want him.

Reaction Score
Idk how we are comparing these guys. Based on college success versus college potential? Nba success versus nba potential? The 09 guys were amazing college players. I’ll take them over the 2020 versions of Bouk AJ and AA any day. Sure the 2020 guys are a good bet to have better nba careers. I’m just more interested in their talent for winning games at UConn

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Of course, one guy is 33 and the other guy just turned 19. AJ was the 52nd pick and a journeyman bench guy. I see the most we get out of Bohknight is a junior year but that's asking an awful lot, my guess is we only have him for two years because NBA teams will want him.

Bouk may end up better than Price if he busts his butt for another year or two. You are acting like Bouk has already passed Price.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This thread is comparing a 6-2 team coming off wins over mighty Maine and Iona to a 31-5 Final Four team that beat 10 ranked teams. We sound like Pitt fans extrapolating an early season win into a national championship.

Let's just enjoy the season and not make crazy comparisons to Final Four teams.

Reaction Score
This thread is comparing a 6-2 team coming off wins over mighty Maine and Iona to a 31-5 Final Four team that beat 10 ranked teams. We sound like Pitt fans extrapolating an early season win into a national championship.

Let's just enjoy the season and not make crazy comparisons to Final Four teams.

No it’s comparing a team that hasn’t played a game (2020)

Reaction Score
With Alterique we'd likely be a top 15 team, however everything in the preseason indicated he's gone. Without him I'd say were in the 25-30 range for 2020 with the potential to be a bit higher if Bouk and Akok make 2nd year leaps.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom