2020 Starting 5 & Bench | Page 9 | The Boneyard

2020 Starting 5 & Bench

Reaction Score
If the goal is to just field a good rebounding lineup then sure Polley isn't the ideal 4. But that's not the discussion, he's playing for his shooting not his rebounding
There is no doubt DH will find minutes for a healthy Tyler Phommachanh somewhere in the lineup.... A serious question... If Tyler Phommachanh is playing the 4.. Does his ability to put up some points(as a 4) exceed his ability to defend the opposing teams PFs/stretch 4s?? Guess its about mismatch opportunities ala Daniels..

Reaction Score
There is no doubt DH will find minutes for a healthy Tyler Phommachanh somewhere in the lineup.... A serious question... If Tyler Phommachanh is playing the 4.. Does his ability to put up some points(as a 4) exceed his ability to defend the opposing teams PFs/stretch 4s?? Guess its about mismatch opportunities ala Daniels..
Yeah that's the big question and think it's definitely a favorable mismatch for him. It also spaces the floor for Bouk and Jackson to get to the basket over having 2 big guys in the paint

Reaction Score
After seeing Whaley’s growth last year, who knows what he may add to his game coming into this year. If he can add a corner 3 to his game, it would help us space the floor.

Sanogo from everything I read is more of a positional defender vs a shot blockers. Whaley compliments that well. (Also where Akok coming back will be extremely beneficial). While I don’t think we’ll see Whaley/Sanogo at the 4/5 for 30 minutes a game. I don’t think that combo for 15-20 minutes will be the worst thing in the world

Reaction Score
Was bored at work today so I took totals from this thread so far. I understand all the injury and potential redshirt unknowns so don’t shoot the messenger I just recorded exactly what people’s opinions were of the starters.

These are the total # of votes to start to open the season: (out of 32 separate predictions)

Bouk-32
Whaley-30
Cole-28
Jackson-22
Sanogo-18
Carlton-9
Gaffney-8
Martin-5
Polley-4
Adams-3
Akok-1

People had different lineups to start/end the season but I wasn’t going back through it all again. Not sure what this all says other than we unquestionably have the potential for crazy depth. Just thought it would be interesting to see some sort of general board consensus.

Reaction Score
To picture, a few years ago we were looking at a starting lineup of:
Akinjo
Emmitt Matthews
Polley (who is a lights out shooter and valuable piece to this team)
Kisunas
Carlton (hoping for more sophomore Carlton)

Reaction Score
He started at the 4 when we had 7 and 8 players, and even then he barely played the 4. In 2020 you cannot have 2 bigs who can't shoot on the floor for extended minutes. The narrative I'm talking about is that multiple people have said he's the ideal 4 for 2020, those are the people I'm talking about
You absolutely can have 2 bigs on the floor and win at the college level.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I just can’t think of a justification for anyone starting Polley? He will have a role but I’d think Jackson is a lock at the 3 and Whaley is a lock at the 4.

For all those saying Hurley likes senior leadership starting over freshman: he never pulled in this type of talent at URI. Akok started at the 4 as a freshman simply because he was the best 4 on the team. Jackson is the best 3 on the team. Sanogo will be a head and shoulders above the rest at the 5. They’re not going to not start just because there’s upperclassmen that also play their position.
Just curious, you've said Cole will benefit from better spacing, but at the same time you think he'll play the majority of his minutes with Bouk, Jackson, Whaley, and Sanogo. Nobody is spacing the floor besides hopefully Cole in that lineup.

Reaction Score
BA has matured nicely since he's been here. I'd feel very comfortable starting the season with him in the starting lineup (obviously not at point). He seems to get overlooked and under-mentioned.
Not really. We just have better guards. If Adams starts, that puts a better player on the bench.

Reaction Score
Not really. We just have better guards. If Adams starts, that puts a better player on the bench.
I hear you Bruce.. Don't see BA getting a ton of minutes with the guards/small forwards we have to work with..Tough kid..good heart.. Doesn't seem quite as talented..Hope he surprises us and comes back from the summer with some improved skills..

Reaction Score
Just curious, you've said Cole will benefit from better spacing, but at the same time you think he'll play the majority of his minutes with Bouk, Jackson, Whaley, and Sanogo. Nobody is spacing the floor besides hopefully Cole in that lineup.

What I mean by Cole having more space is that the guys on the floor with him will drawn attention from the defense. That didn’t happen at Howard. All the attention was on him and there wasn’t much space to work with. At UConn, he won’t be opposing defense’s priority which will work to his advantage.

Reaction Score
To picture, a few years ago we were looking at a starting lineup of:
Akinjo
Emmitt Matthews
Polley (who is a lights out shooter and valuable piece to this team)
Kisunas
Carlton (hoping for more sophomore Carlton)

Jesus. To be fair, Akinjo is a solid player (though an atrocious shooter and easily replaced by the guard talent Hurley has brought in).

But Matthews? Wasn't he recruited to be a shooter? Career 40% from the field and 28% from 3. Yikes. KO sure had a type.

Kisunas was filler. Basically putting up Tyler Olander numbers for Stanford.

The skill, fit, and culture turnaround from 2018 to the present is just breathtaking. And Hurley did it without running anybody -- save 1 -- out of town.

Reaction Score
It's not Polley over Whaley, it's Polley with Whaley
So then whalley plays the 5 and sanogo sits? Either way it’s a good problem to have. We are crazy deep

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
What I mean by Cole having more space is that the guys on the floor with him will drawn attention from the defense. That didn’t happen at Howard. All the attention was on him and there wasn’t much space to work with. At UConn, he won’t be opposing defense’s priority which will work to his advantage.
Not sure it will work if teams can leave everyone but bouknight wide open, the type of attention they command is when they have the ball, which will make Coles job easier.

Reaction Score
While I've said that Carlton deserves every reason to start...

If the NCAA passes the freebie transfer rule, I don't think it's a crazy thought to think he transfers back home, Wake Forest will have open slots.

Writing is definitely on the wall that he could fall waaaaaaay down in the frontcourt rotation.
I thought i saw they rejected it. They said they deemed it unnecessary at this time.

Reaction Score
I thought a vote was coming up in the next few weeks? I could totally be wrong though, my brain is scrambled eggs.

Reaction Score
If Cole's teammates are looking for the open man /back door cuts/ball movement.. Cole will have his share of open jumpers..Unlike at Howard where he was frequently the opposing team's focus.. With his excellent vision/passing skills.. I think we'll be seeing lob passes to his athletic teammates as well. All good.. JG should benefit in a similar way (when he's on the floor)for the same reasons..

Reaction Score
If Cole's teammates are looking for the open man /back door cuts/ball movement.. Cole will have his share of open jumpers..Unlike at Howard where he was frequently the opposing team's focus.. With his excellent vision/passing skills.. I think we'll be seeing lob passes to his athletic teammates as well. All good.. JG should benefit in a similar way (when he's on the floor)for the same reasons..

Right. That's why I say he's going to have a fantastic year. More open jumpers than he saw at Howard (higher FG%) and much more to work with around him, so plenty of assists.

Reaction Score
No way I wud start polley over whalley. Whalley brings way more to the court. Cole and bouk are enough offense for that lineup.

How is that a "beyond brutal" shooting lineup exactly? Cole and Bouk are both good shooters, while Jackson has improved and at least should make enough to keep the defense honest. Your 4 and 5 aren't typically expected to be making a lot of outside shots. I agree that it's not our best shooting lineup, but I don't think it's unplayable by any stretch.

Reaction Score
How is that a "beyond brutal" shooting lineup exactly? Cole and Bouk are both good shooters, while Jackson has improved and at least should make enough to keep the defense honest. Your 4 and 5 aren't typically expected to be making a lot of outside shots. I agree that it's not our best shooting lineup, but I don't think it's unplayable by any stretch.

In 2020, ideally you have a 4 who can shoot. We'll play our 5 best players regardless, but it isn't ideal. Jackson doesn't shoot well enough to keep defenses honest--not even close.

Reaction Score
I'm assuming you meant to reply to my post since I said the beyond brutal comment. Cole and Bouknight are good shooters, correct.

Jackson improved but I think people are looking too much at the surface numbers with his jump shot this year in HS. Jackson shot 45% this year, Gilbert was at 54% his senior year of HS and was far from a good shooter any of his 4 years here. No argument we can play those 5 for short stretches but I don't think it puts Bouk or Jackson in a position to succeed

Reaction Score
Right. That's why I say he's going to have a fantastic year. More open jumpers than he saw at Howard (higher FG%) and much more to work with around him, so plenty of assists.
We agree on this.. Have been predicting RJ to be one of top assist guys in BE in 2020 in other posts

Reaction Score
I love it when I see our best shooter bolted to the bench getting 5-10 mins.
Then I hear the same guys say we need a knockdown shooter.
Polley is a knockdown shooter.
Also I am not sold on Cole being a 25min guy. The Big East is going to be a wake up for Cole..

Reaction Score
I love it when I see our best shooter bolted to the bench getting 5-10 mins.
Then I hear the same guys say we need a knockdown shooter.
Polley is a knockdown shooter.
Also I am not sold on Cole being a 25min guy. The Big East is going to be a wake up for Cole..

Yes, because I'm sure Hurley recruited a PG who had to sit out just for him to get a wake up call when he can finally play. I can't take this post seriously. You're pleading for probably the 8th or 9th most talented guy on the team to get more minutes while saying one of the best players won't be a 25mpg guy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom