2020 Recruiting Wish List | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting Wish List

Reaction Score
Do you think getting Manuel would still be in our best interest? Is Carlton, Akok, +20-25lb and determined Whaley, and Polley/Wilson for the big/small ball 4 rotation enough?

Akok will be slaughtered at the 5 if he has to play any major minutes there. We need depth at the 5.

Reaction Score
Diarra seems like a Jared Terrell clone, and we know what Hurley did with him. Love to have Diarra if the scholly situation works out.

Reaction Score
With the 3 point line moving back, maybe Niels Lane becomes the priority over Jackson. Would be nice to have another Niels!

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Not being able to shoot increase the degree of difficulty in the game. Good shooters make the game easier - we have struggled too much recently not to give us the best path toward victory. That means bring in some shooters.
To be fair though we just brought in 4 shooters this year. Shooting should be our strength for the next few years.

C

Chief00

To be fair though we just brought in 4 shooters this year. Shooting should be our strength for the next few years.

Quite frankly, I hope you are right, but let’s see who’s really a knock down shooter. I was a little skeptical on James in regards to shooting but I am beginning to think he might have it based on his body of work so far this summer.

C

Chief00

Akok will be slaughtered at the 5 if he has to play any major minutes there. We need depth at the 5.
I agree - we have been trying to convince ourselves now for a couple years we have answers there and we need more answers at the 5.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Shooting is everything. Without it you are easy to guard. Not everyone has to make 3’s, but everyone has to make shots from somewhere on the floor other than under the hoop. Tyler Cook and Garza from Iowa killed us last fall because as bigs both could shoot the 3. So did Paschall. None of these guys are world-class athletes.

Wilson has to be able to shoot. Carlton has to hit elbow jumpers. Polley has to be much more consistent from 3 and more aggressive looking for it. Those things open the floor making drives possible.

I don’t care if a guy has a 40 inch vertical. If he can’t hit a free throw line jumper he can be defended. There will be the occasional spectacular play, and everyone will ooh and aah, and when he turns pro he’ll do reasonably well in the G league.

Reaction Score
Shooting is everything. Without it you are easy to guard. Not everyone has to make 3’s, but everyone has to make shots from somewhere on the floor other than under the hoop. Tyler Cook and Garza from Iowa killed us last fall because as bigs both could shoot the 3. So did Paschall. None of these guys are world-class athletes.

Wilson has to be able to shoot. Carlton has to hit elbow jumpers. Polley has to be much more consistent from 3 and more aggressive looking for it. Those things open the floor making drives possible.

I don’t care if a guy has a 40 inch vertical. If he can’t hit a free throw line jumper he can be defended. There will be the occasional spectacular play, and everyone will ooh and aah, and when he turns pro he’ll do reasonably well in the G league.

Older I get the more I value shooting for sure. But that's almost exclusively 3. I really don't care if Sid can hit a 15-18 footer. It's a little more relevant for Carlton because it could open up a post move.

And I think there is something to be said about a world-class athlete if they are able to be a defensive play-maker, and play with a solid IQ. Sid doesn't have that yet. As a coach you like at those types of players (ie. Andre Jackson) and decide if what else they bring to the table.. speed, hops, defense, passing, handles.. is good enough that they can be a contributor, and if they're worth investing the time to turn them into a shooter. Sid and akok have to change a lot about the way they shoots to improve. Akok is working on it. I hope sid is too

Reaction Score
No matter how good a shooter is, most struggle as freshman. Whatever we see from Akok, Gaffney, and Bouk this year should be kept in that context.

Unless, of course, they come in and kill it. :)

Reaction Score
For what it's worth: Our Big East move is assumed to enhance our ability to recruit the Northeast in NJ, NY, and New England. Looking at a 24/7 list of the top 300 2020 recruits that I printed out on 6-18, it is a really off year for northeast talent. Lance Ware at #44 and Abdur-Rahim at #47 are the ONLY top 50 recruits in the region, (Omoruyl #51). Andre Jackson at #63 is the top talent listed as NY, and Diarra at #65 is tops in New England. Big Cliff is the ONLY center in the region in the top 100 and favors KY. That means there is almost no talent out there to move the needle for any of the Big East teams that rely on the region for recruiting. Thankfully we will only need 2 players in this class if Manuel commits and Gilbert stays. To be honest, I would be happy with 1 recruit in this class and then see what shakes out in the spring. Based on 'wish list' responses, Rahim is the only player mentioned so far that I think actually improves the team vs just filling a roster spot with a good enough player.

Reaction Score
I missed 6'10 Elijah Hutchins-Everette at 6'10 225 from Wayne NJ (so 2 centers in the top 100). There is also 6'11 #186 Josh Gray at 205lbs C. I know we have expressed interest in #152 6'10 220lb Dylan Cardwell at Oak Hill. Any insights as to whether any of these kids could help?

Reaction Score
I missed 6'10 Elijah Hutchins-Everette at 6'10 225 from Wayne NJ (so 2 centers in the top 100). There is also 6'11 #186 Josh Gray at 205lbs C. I know we have expressed interest in #152 6'10 220lb Dylan Cardwell at Oak Hill. Any insights as to whether any of these kids could help?

We are after cardwell I believe.

2020 there won't be much recruiting difference. The kids are already making up their minds. 2021 could be the big one. Not sure what northeast talent looks like then

Reaction Score
is john hugley (#116) the best (realistic) big man prospect we have offered?

if so i'd love to see a Lance Ware and/or Elijah Hutchins-Everette offer sooner rather than later.
Ware has an offer and Hurley watched him last weekend.

Hutchins-Everett is shooting 44% from 2, plays under the rim, and hasn’t been a shot blocker this spring. He’s rated top 100, but I like pretty much all of the bigs we’ve offered just as much if not more.

Reaction Score
nice! i knew he was watching, guess 247 just doesn't have his offer listed yet
They’ve been uncharacteristically bad at updating players offers and interest this year.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Need Manuel. No depth at the 5. Whaley will get killed against a decent big. A lot to ask of Akok.
Yeah, it’s going to be the Big East. We got killed in the AAC

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
i know it's only june but assuming we get Manuel, is it fair to say the ideal (and still realistic) 2020 scenarios are:

two recruit class: JAR and Ware?
three recruit class: JAR, Ware, and either Lane or Jackson?
Ideally Manuel signs and we sign 3 recruits for 2020. a guard, a wing and a center.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
I'd rather Gilbert come back and sign 2 recruits, wing and a center. We'd be an extremely dangerous team at such an incredibly exciting time for the program.
I have a hunch that Gilbert does end up returning AND we have 3 open scholarships.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
I think he will as well. He'll want to play in the Big East and go out with a team that can do big things.
Yea, and when you’re 5’10.5 playing in the AAC unless you are just unstoppable the chances of you getting drafted are slim to none. Doubt he goes pro to play overseas or in the G league.

Reaction Score
Yea, and when you’re 5’10.5 playing in the AAC unless you are just unstoppable the chances of you getting drafted are slim to none. Doubt he goes pro to play overseas or in the G league.

For context, more underclassmen early entries were undrafted than drafted this year.

Reaction Score

Playing in the Big East definitely might be appealing to him, and I'd love to have him for two more years. I think the issue with Gilbert is his health. If he has a good year and has a chance to get paid anywhere, he might bolt. I'd hate to see the kid get hurt again and further damage his professional options.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Playing in the Big East definitely might be appealing to him, and I'd love to have him for two more years. I think the issue with Gilbert is his health. If he has a good year and has a chance to get paid anywhere, he might bolt. I'd hate to see the kid get hurt again and further damage his professional options.
Health questions on top of the other issues make him undraftable unless he goes completely bonkers this year... even then maybe not.

Reaction Score
Health questions on top of the other issues make him undraftable unless he goes completely bonkers this year... even then maybe not.
Oh, I agree. As of now, I don’t see him as an NBA prospect, although I really want to be wrong. So if he has a solid year, graduates, and doesn’t seem on the cusp of ever being an NBA prospect, maybe he’ll want to go overseas and not risk injury by using his final year of eligibility.

Or maybe he goes completely nuts and gets drafted this year, which would be a great outcome for all involved.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom