2020 Recruiting Thread | Page 59 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting Thread

Reaction Score
I wonder if had something to do with the Quay Evans connection.
He's also been retweeting Konata B Mumpfield from Dacula HS in Dacula, GA. He is followed Keelan, DDC and Aaron Smith.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Just throwing this out there. Saw this tape this evening, thought it was worth sharing here. Robert Kennedy is a decent looking DB at Lackawanna. Two years of eligibility remaining. Looks aggressive with decent speed. Marshall offered today, western Carolina and UMass also pursuing.

Reaction Score
Just throwing this out there. Saw this tape this evening, thought it was worth sharing here. Robert Kennedy is a decent looking DB at Lackawanna. Two years of eligibility remaining. Looks aggressive with decent speed. Marshall offered today, western Carolina and UMass also pursuing.

Haven't they brought in a few guys in the recent past from there? D. Harris? Eli Thomas? Others?

If they are interested, they should have some good connections there I would imagine.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Haven't they brought in a few guys in the recent past from there? D. Harris? Eli Thomas? Others?

Yes, yes and Pindell are three recent that come to mind...probably many others for those with long memories. The staff is tracking a few dudes over there, however nothing really suggests in particular player has become a high target.

Reaction Score
The staff is tracking a few dudes over there, however nothing really suggests in particular player has become a high target.
No clue about any Lackawanna players, but they lost to MS Gulf Coast in last Thursday's JUCO national championship. It was on CBSSN; watched a few series.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
With 17 commits, we have just eight slots left. Last year we took in 16 HS commits and 9 transfers/grad/juco guys. We also had one PWO concerted to scholarship with Kyle Williams... pwo conversions are exempt from the cap if they have been with your program more than two years (which was the case with Kyle).

I still think they are eyeing at least three more HS slots; corner, another LB and perhaps another OL. Could also be a HS rb taken in feb if they don’t find a grad student.

I think they have to leave the last slot #25 for open this spring to address any potential QB departures.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
At least Rivals has us ranked mid 80s, and that is without grades for Quay Evans and Jhaylin Embry, and Robbie Rochester and Austin Reeves not listed yet. Presumably making us a little higher then that.
1575899767519.png

Reaction Score
I was just wondering if we reached the point we might want to fill the rest of the class with JUCOs and grad transfers. The Portal really is making the idea of 5th years being contributors antiquated
HCRE2.0 is making the idea of anyone being a contributor antiquated.

Reaction Score
7 guys with P-5 or AAC offers (Chea, Alexander, Senecal, Harris, Hooper, Marion, Evans). Pretty normal for an Edsall class. Some of the guys without P5/AAC offers are Carter and McCarthy (a legacy) who had very strong senior seasons after committing. A couple of OL projects (Rochester, Reeves), and a TE project (Niemenski at 6"6" and 220 lbs), the underrated Florida WR/DBs (Blake, Embry), Canadian OL (Fortin). Heatherman was getting strong P5/AAC interest prior to an ACL injury. Fogle is a classic Edsall LB recruit.

I may be too much of an optimist, but when you look at the 2019 class what Drayton, Ross, Medlock, Mitchell, Zergiotis, Watts and others contributed I still think that Edsall's approach will work for UConn.

Reaction Score
7 guys with P-5 or AAC offers (Chea, Alexander, Senecal, Harris, Hooper, Marion, Evans). Pretty normal for an Edsall class. Some of the guys without P5/AAC offers are Carter and McCarthy (a legacy) who had very strong senior seasons after committing. A couple of OL projects (Rochester, Reeves), and a TE project (Niemenski at 6"6" and 220 lbs), the underrated Florida WR/DBs (Blake, Embry), Canadian OL (Fortin). Heatherman was getting strong P5/AAC interest prior to an ACL injury. Fogle is a classic Edsall LB recruit.

I may be too much of an optimist, but when you look at the 2019 class what Drayton, Ross, Medlock, Mitchell, Zergiotis, Watts and others contributed I still think that Edsall's approach will work for UConn.
Less concerned about his recruiting than his coaching. No one plays for FG attempts or punts in plus territory anymore. No one except Randy it seems.

Reaction Score
At least Rivals has us ranked mid 80s, and that is without grades for Quay Evans and Jhaylin Embry, and Robbie Rochester and Austin Reeves not listed yet. Presumably making us a little higher then that. View attachment 48990
The site says 15 commitments. You just listed 4 that aren't on their list yet. Wouldn't that make 19? The Boneyard had Reeves as commit #17. What am I missing?

Reaction Score
The site says 15 commitments. You just listed 4 that aren't on their list yet. Wouldn't that make 19? The Boneyard had Reeves as commit #17. What am I missing?

My list is correct. Rivals is missing Reeves and Rochester as of 1430.

Reaction Score
2 are missing and 2 are lacking grades - the 2 you can see in the screen shot, Evans and Embry without grades yet.

Reaction Score
Embry and Evans are on the list as commits on the Rivals page, but are currently not ranked so their commit does not add anything to the ranking equation. This is significant for Evans as he has multiple P5 offers and should boost our ranking if all is fair. It is rivals so I would expect him to be a 2-star with a 5.3 ranking.

Reaction Score
Embry and Evans are on the list as commits on the Rivals page, but are currently not ranked so their commit does not add anything to the ranking equation. This is significant for Evans as he has multiple P5 offers and should boost our ranking if all is fair. It is rivals so I would expect him to be a 2-star with a 5.3 ranking.
I misread the post I quoted. All clear now. Sorry about that. But I agree. Even though Evans is the highest rated commit on 247.

Reaction Score
2 are missing and 2 are lacking grades - the 2 you can see in the screen shot, Evans and Embry without grades yet.
Yes I noticed my error after checking for myself, hence my two comments just below you. My bad.

Reaction Score
Less concerned about his recruiting than his coaching. No one plays for FG attempts or punts in plus territory anymore. No one except Randy it seems.

I agree with this. Crocker was frightening. Giufre was a last minute stop gap.

He has done things that have not worked out with assistants & kids; we rarely saw that in the 2003-2010 period. I frankly did not pay attention in his first 3 years in Storrs.

Reaction Score
I agree with this. Crocker was frightening. Giufre was a last minute stop gap.

He has done things that have not worked out with assistants & kids; we rarely saw that in the 2003-2010 period. I frankly did not pay attention in his first 3 years in Storrs.
I look at it this way. He knows his team and their capabilities. How many big plays did we see this year? Not many. Young QB, missed a lot of deep passes, didn't show much touch on those deep routes to the back shoulder. Let's be honest, he tried to play to his teams "strengths" which we can all agree weren't very strong. But he played to his teams "strengths" and they still couldn't execute. Look for improved play, hopefully, from a lot of the young key positions, especially on offense. Bright spots being Ross and Drayton, Zergiotis had his moments and Mensah is still in the backfield. I pray the OL can open some holes for him and protect Jack Zergiotis or whoever is under center. The personnel was never going to be a big play offense, a stop gap OL COACH at OC, what more could we expect? Just my thoughts. I think they're realistic. Please discuss.

Also, I meant to quote NoeyNox's post not yours Pudge.

Reaction Score
I look at it this way. He knows his team and their capabilities. How many big plays did we see this year? Not many. Young QB, missed a lot of deep passes, didn't show much touch on those deep routes to the back shoulder. Let's be honest, he tried to play to his teams "strengths" which we can all agree weren't very strong. But he played to his teams "strengths" and they still couldn't execute. Look for improved play, hopefully, from a lot of the young key positions, especially on offense. Bright spots being Ross and Drayton, Zergiotis had his moments and Mensah is still in the backfield. I pray the OL can open some holes for him and protect Jack Zergiotis or whoever is under center. The personnel was never going to be a big play offense, a stop gap OL COACH at OC, what more could we expect? Just my thoughts. I think they're realistic. Please discuss.

Also, I meant to quote NoeyNox's post not yours Pudge.
agree to disagree here. One of the punts in plus territory against Houston was on like 4th and 1.5yds or 4th and 2. The net was like 15 yards. Not only will the analytic people tell you that's a terrible waste, you lose half your team when you do stuff like that. There is a reason very coaches coach like this anymore.

Reaction Score
I really wish we would get an OC! Anyone hearing any updates?? I know Giofre was a quick fix but we need an experienced OC!! I think since Edsall is here for the next few years an OC would hopefully be a asset to the coaching staff and we would feel like there were some advancements on the offense and some improvement ..

Reaction Score
@huskymedic With so many HC changes and resulting follow on HC changes, what’s the likelihood of recruiting opportunities re-opening for UConn?

Example: App State commitments LB Littlejohn and WR Ellis post-Drinkwitz departure to Mizzou? Others?

Reaction Score
@huskymedic With so many HC changes and resulting follow on HC changes, what’s the likelihood of recruiting opportunities re-opening for UConn?

Example: App State commitments LB Littlejohn and WR Ellis post-Drinkwitz departure to Mizzou? Others?

Guess it would depend on who Drinkwitz takes with him from a coaching perspective ...

Reaction Score
agree to disagree here. One of the punts in plus territory against Houston was on like 4th and 1.5yds or 4th and 2. The net was like 15 yards. Not only will the analytic people tell you that's a terrible waste, you lose half your team when you do stuff like that. There is a reason very coaches coach like this anymore.
So in an entire season, you picked out one instance. Got it.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Its always an opportunity for sure - but we are now at 17 commits so not too many slots left for HS kids. Need to focus on grads/jucos. That said, those two are special dudes, above our recent recruiting avg.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom