2020 Recruiting: Fatts Russell | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Fatts Russell

Reaction Score
Correct me if I'm wrong but the last thing this team needs moving forward is a 5'10 guard who shoots 39% from the field. We have our guards for next year. Would rather have AG back tbh.

This overview may help:
Screenshot_20200312-224614.png

Reaction Score
We used to drink beer, sunbathe and play frisbee there. But, we spent many more countless hours respectfully maintaining the area. Good times and I hope that balance still exists.
I spent many hours there too, but nothing when the sun was up

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Gilbert needs to be somewhere he can start. It’s not happening here. He’s been set on not coming back for a long time, if you can’t can’t read those tea leaves turn in your eyeballs.

Idk if this rumor is legit, but I’m all for it. Even if it’s a tiny lineup, Russell, Cole, and Bouknight gives you 3 competent scorers compared to the 2 this year. And Fatts is like Tyler Ulis on defense. He’s tiny be he smothers you and gets a ton of steals. We’d be insane not to take him.

Reaction Score
He’s not going back to URI. I’d be shocked if he passed us up.

Reaction Score
I don't think anything was legit but there were a lot of calls for Fatts to follow Hurley (Adams did instead) and some claims that Hurley wouldn't leave URI because of him

Yup, this is a Curtis Martin/Bill Parcells type of situation. Hurley loves the kid and vise versa.

Reaction Score
Woah, if he leaves URI this a major story. He was one of the best guards in the country this season, posters downplaying this or saying they wouldn’t want him clearly haven’t watched him play. Sure he’s an undersized guard, but he’s exactly what Hurley wants/looks for in his guards, he raves about Fatts all the time. Idk what that post means exactly, but if it means he’s transferring, I’d be shocked if DH isn’t in this.

Reaction Score
He's an animal.

Suffocating defender and a higher motor than almost anyone we've had in 10 years. I didn't say better; but insanely high energy. Takes care of the ball. Not the most efficient shooter, but here - he won't have to be. We'll have tons of weapons.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one who sees a lot of Ryan Boatright in this guy's game? Maybe not the hops, but all that quickness off the bounce? Wow.

I have a friend that has been a fan of Russell since he was in high school. He always told me he reminded him of Boatright and wished he transferred here after Hurley took the job.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Kenpom has him #2 in the A10 behind Obi Toppin. Kid is a stud.
Any other year he would have won player of the year he just ran into Obi Toppin this year. This kid is a COMPETITOR the likes of 2014 Ryan Boatright.

Reaction Score
I watched all those videos I posted, so the observations are based on highlights so bear with me...

- Really good 3 pt shooter. Spotting up off of bouk and Andre drive n kicks will be money next season.
- Not sure about his 1v1 defense but 3 steals a game really puts your team in a position to win. Think about all those overtime games this year. 1 possession games change the tenor of the season.
- He could be a 1-man press break a lot like AG was for us late in the season when Gaff got flustered vs pressure.
- Really makes things difficult for himself at the rim. Outside of transition layups and off steals, I wouldn't expect him to make that much of a part of his scoring package here.
- Very, very ball-dominant. He will have to know coming in that playing off-ball while Bouk/Andre/Gaff/RJ handle the ball at times is the reality on this squad. Same with late shot clock stuff. Bouk will be our #1 option. I expcet RJ or Fatts could be a #2 option. But it's Bouk all the way, has to be.
- the 1 dribble mid-range Js aren't something anyone on our team should be taking except for Bouk. He takes those way too much. Not how the game is played, or hurley wants to play any more.
- AST and TO #s are legit. Well over 2:1. If he could replicate the ratio at this level it would be a BIG boon for our team.
- Despite being such a terrible half-court finsiher, he does a solid job in transition it seems. I don't know the #s of course. But he draws fouls at a solid rate and his speed end to end is tremendous.
- Watched a couple full game highlights... good passer. Not super creative, but makes the right one

Reaction Score
Knowing nothing about this kid, it would be great. I go back and forth (considering AG leaves) whether we need help in the FC or BC more. We want him over Songo or Ettienne? Purely a question, what would be best?

Reaction Score
Correct me if I'm wrong but the last thing this team needs moving forward is a 5'10 guard who shoots 39% from the field. We have our guards for next year. Would rather have AG back tbh.

40.5% on two's and 35.7% on three's in the A-10. He's lightning quick, but can he improve on his shooting and do it night in and night out against Big East teams?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
FG% at Rim
Russell: 46.4%
Gilbert: 40.6%

2PT Jumpers:
Russell: 29.4% (22% of his shots)
Gilbert: 32.8% (27.6% of his shots)

Neither should be shooting in the mid range as much they do. Fatts is particularly bad in this area. I prefer as a team that we take fewer (Oats and Pearl are two coaches who have seen success cutting their midrange attempts).

UconnU

Reaction Score
He's an animal.

Suffocating defender and a higher motor than almost anyone we've had in 10 years. I didn't say better; but insanely high energy. Takes care of the ball. Not the most efficient shooter, but here - he won't have to be. We'll have tons of weapons.
The motor doesn’t stop.
FG% at Rim

2PT Jumpers:

Neither should be shooting in the mid range as much they do. Fatts is particularly bad in this area. I prefer as a team that we take fewer (Oats and Pearl are two coaches who have seen success cutting their midrange attempts).
There are people in this thread saying you don’t take him. That’s insane right? He led the country in steals.

Reaction Score
FG% at Rim

2PT Jumpers:

Mid-range is dead and should be. Mid-range shots shouldn't count in practice.

UconnU

Reaction Score
Mid-range is dead and should be. Mid-range shots shouldn't count in practice.
Unless you’re one of the rare players who can make them at a high clip. Bouknight foul line jumper was the go to play in crunch time, along with CV elbow three.

Reaction Score
My first instinct was to be worried about the height defensively of a Cole/Russell back court and the diminishing returns of having 3 ball dominant players in the same lineup.

But screw it. Boat/Bazz all day. All 3 can shoot. Let's go.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
Gilbert needs to be somewhere he can start. It’s not happening here. He’s been set on not coming back for a long time, if you can’t can’t read those tea leaves turn in your eyeballs.

Idk if this rumor is legit, but I’m all for it. Even if it’s a tiny lineup, Russell, Cole, and Bouknight gives you 3 competent scorers compared to the 2 this year. And Fatts is like Tyler Ulis on defense. He’s tiny be he smothers you and gets a ton of steals. We’d be insane not to take him.

Dare I invoke John Linehan? Still the NCAA all-time steals leader at 5'9" and 160lbs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom