2020 off-season transfers | Page 39 | The Boneyard

2020 off-season transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
...and I just can't hide it

(I can't remember who sang it but I think that was a big hit song in the 80s?)
Carrington was always someone I liked watching play at Stanford. The team I root for the most after Baylor is Stanford! I’ve always liked Tara vanderveer and her program. Hopefully she gets to 3 soon. It’s been 28 years since her last one

Reaction Score
Per ESPN Article

She was reportedly transferring regardless. Makes sense because she was the only one who didn’t seem to care he was leaving.

She was also likely losing her spot to Cooks.

It was during the mandatory, 14-day self-quarantine that followed when Bibby said she discussed exploring her options for transferring. She also cited Mississippi State coach Vic Schaefer's departure for Texas as a factor. And a day after his departure, she entered the transfer portal.

As far as I know Bibby isn’t going to be a graduate transfer. It’s possible but typically that stipulation is mentioned when the player decides to move on.

Bibby last month transferred to Maryland for her final season. (She will sit out the 2020-21 season under current NCAA rules.)

A lot of these players are contacting these coaches through the internet through social media via the Face Time and Zoom. Plus some of these players are already familiar with their new school through previous recruiting visits or they visited the school as a player of an opposing team.

At least she had Zoom, which allowed schools such as Maryland to get creative with their virtual tours.

"I did see that with a couple of schools, but Maryland was definitely unique in how in-depth they went," Bibby said. "We were on the Zoom call for quite some time."

Reaction Score
Per ESPN Article

It was during the mandatory, 14-day self-quarantine that followed when Bibby said she discussed exploring her options for transferring. She also cited Mississippi State coach Vic Schaefer's departure for Texas as a factor. And a day after his departure, she entered the transfer portal.

Bibby last month transferred to Maryland for her final season. (She will sit out the 2020-21 season under current NCAA rules.)

At least she had Zoom, which allowed schools such as Maryland to get creative with their virtual tours.

"I did see that with a couple of schools, but Maryland was definitely unique in how in-depth they went," Bibby said. "We were on the Zoom call for quite some time."
C Bibby was going to transfer prior to Coach Schaefer’s departure. With R Jackson’s development at small forward and S Cooks becoming eligible her role was diminishing. As the season progressed she was playing less and less in the second half. However Coach Schaefer wanted her to stay. There was no animosity but I didn’t see her staying regardless of whether or not he was still there.

Reaction Score
C Bibby was going to transfer prior to Coach Schaefer’s departure. With R Jackson’s development at small forward and S Cooks becoming eligible her role was diminishing. As the season progressed she was playing less and less in the second half. However Coach Schaefer wanted her to stay. There was no animosity but I didn’t see her staying regardless of whether or not he was still there.

I am curious whether you have any evidence to support your post or it is just your perception (or what seems logical). If it is just your gut feeling, you should qualify that.

I don't mean to cause offence however you may not realize it but your post implies that Bibby was dishonest in the her comments that were quoted in the article. I believe if you are going to call someone out, you should at least present your case to justify that.

Reaction Score
I am curious whether you have any evidence to support your post or it is just your perception (or what seems logical). If it is just your gut feeling, you should qualify that.

I don't mean to cause offence however you may not realize it but your post implies that Bibby was dishonest in the her comments that were quoted in the article. I believe if you are going to call someone out, you should at least present your case to justify that.
In no way did my post imply C Bibby was being dishonest and I didn’t call anyone out. It was in the article “It was during the mandatory, 14-day self-quarantine that followed when Bibby said she discussed exploring her options for transferring. She also cited Mississippi State coach Vic Schaefer's departure for Texas as a factor.”.

The NCAA tournament was cancelled on March 12th and she flew home 5 days after that. Coach Schaefer left on April 5th. Her exploring transfer options happened prior to his departure as cited by her in the article.

I don’t mean to cause offense however if you are going to call out a poster you should at least read the article before you misquote it.

It’s in the game stats regarding her playing time and who started where. I even stated there was no animosity. C Bibby is an outstanding player and person and I’ve never said otherwise.

Reaction Score
Possible transfer to keep an eye on, Caterrion Thompson from Bowling Green. Recently starting following a bunch of Miss St players and coaches.

She averaged 13.7 points per game w/ over 5 rebounds a game. That would be a nice little pick up. She would be a graduate transfer with immediate eligibility.

Anyone ever hear more on Olivia Owens? I still think that would be a really nice pick up for someone.

Reaction Score
Possible transfer to keep an eye on, Caterrion Thompson from Bowling Green. Recently starting following a bunch of Miss St players and coaches.

She averaged 13.7 points per game w/ over 5 rebounds a game. That would be a nice little pick up. She would be a graduate transfer with immediate eligibility.

Anyone ever hear more on Olivia Owens? I still think that would be a really nice pick up for someone.
I would be happy with C Thompson. At minimum she would provide depth and insurance for injury. At best she would bring an experienced player pushing the returning players for time. Regardless even though she has good stats I would definitely temper expectations as she played for a bad team and she certainly hasn’t faced the same level of competition overall as she would at Mississippi State. I’ll be interested to see what comes of it. Supposedly Coach McCray-Penson wants some players to add for the coming season. With workouts able to resume June 1 you would expect we would hear something this coming week.

Regarding O Owens I think it may have been on this board someone said she might be considering staying at Maryland. However I could be mistaken. I’m still very intrigued with her as she has good size and looks to be a true post. Didn’t she redshirt this season due to injury? If so I wouldn’t be surprised to see her stay as she would lose a year of eligibility unless she got a waiver.

Reaction Score
I would be happy with C Thompson. At minimum she would provide depth and insurance for injury. At best she would bring an experienced player pushing the returning players for time. Regardless even though she has good stats I would definitely temper expectations as she played for a bad team and she certainly hasn’t faced the same level of competition overall as she would at Mississippi State. I’ll be interested to see what comes of it. Supposedly Coach McCray-Penson wants some players to add for the coming season. With workouts able to resume June 1 you would expect we would hear something this coming week.

Regarding O Owens I think it may have been on this board someone said she might be considering staying at Maryland. However I could be mistaken. I’m still very intrigued with her as she has good size and looks to be a true post. Didn’t she redshirt this season due to injury? If so I wouldn’t be surprised to see her stay as she would lose a year of eligibility unless she got a waiver.

She won't start over any of the current MSU players but she would provide depth and add another threat from 3 point land (which was lacking last year). The only power 5 team I saw they played last year was Purdue on the road and she put up 18 points. You can't go wrong having some depth for a year and you get immediate eligibility out of her.

Honestly, anyone from Maryland in the portal is probably really good player, historically its been the case. Brenda with all the faults she has, she is a tremendous recruiter. Owens was a highly recruited athlete with some ability.

Reaction Score
Who? Did she even play last season. Her name isn’t ringing a bell.
I was wondering the same. Originally committed to Georgia Tech before coaching change. Maybe injured, or just overranked?

Reaction Score
I was wondering the same. Originally committed to Georgia Tech before coaching change. Maybe injured, or just overranked?
Maybe overranked, just went on Syracuse’s website & it look like she only played 7 games for the season and only played 13 minutes at the most for one game. Ouch. She probably figured she wasn’t cracking the rotation anytime soon.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Owens did not play in any games for Maryland last season. Regardless if she stays at MD or transfers she will have 3 years of eligibility remaining and no waiver is required. If she were to submit a waiver for immediate eligibility that is unlikely to fly because the NCAA denied Tea Cooper under the same circumstances where she had to sit a year due to injury then another year due to transfer. Of the players remaining in the transfer portal I too am intrigued by Owens as a true post.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
You wanna feel old, Mt. St. Helens blew her lid 40 years ago today. Now that I distinctly remember, I was living close enough that we had to shovel ash in our driveway in the aftermath.

And I was driving from Seattle to Portland on a business trip not long after that, drove close enough on a clear day to take some photographs and collect a jarful of ash that is now sitting two feet away from me as I type. 40 years? :eek:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Owens did not play in any games for Maryland last season. Regardless if she stays at MD or transfers she will have 3 years of eligibility remaining and no waiver is required. If she were to submit a waiver for immediate eligibility that is unlikely to fly because the NCAA denied Tea Cooper under the same circumstances where she had to sit a year due to injury then another year due to transfer. Of the players remaining in the transfer portal I too am intrigued by Owens as a true post.
My understanding is that she played her freshman year then sat out this past year. If she transfers then she would have to sit out another year. Are you saying that she would be able to play two years and then get the third year back based on a medical waiver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom