2020 College Summer Ball - UConn players | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2020 College Summer Ball - UConn players

Reaction Score

I saw this tweet, so I went to look at the linked box score to this game. Erik Stock pitched 1 inning in relief, gave up 2 walks and got a strikeout for a scoreless inning.

I then noticed that in the same game Angus Mayock also pitched 1 inning in relief, striking out all three batters that he faced and was credited for the win, his second victory of the summer season. 10 of the 13 pitches Mayock threw were for strikes, so he certainly had his control in this appearance.

Overall, it looks like Angus Mayock has had an interesting summer so far. He has appeared in 7 games, pitched 8 innings, has 7 strikeouts, and has given up 4 hits and 9 walks. Overall he has been credited with 2 wins and 1 loss.

Mayock has not allowed an earned run yet this summer season, although in one game he give up 4 unearned runs where he gave up 3 hits and 4 walks in .2 innings, plus he committed the error that led to the unearned runs.

In the other 7.1 innings Mayock has pitched this summer, he has only 1 hit off of him, plus 5 walks and 5 strikeouts. The walks are certainly on the high side, but Angus hasn't given up any runs aside from that one stinker of a game, and is certainly doing something right in between all the walks.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Garrett Coe is now with the Westfield Starfires of the Futures League.

Reaction Score
With the pandemic on the rise in California, the Healdsburg Prune Packers played their last game on July 17. UConn JUCO recruit Devin Kirby this summer pitched 3 innings with a 3.00 ERA, 3 strikeouts, 1 walk, and 1 hit off of him.

Reaction Score

>> The Peninsula roster features three Connecticut Huskies of note. The top prospect of the bunch is righty Austin Peterson, who leads the Pilots with 28 strikeouts against 10 walks in a team-high 23.1 innings, going 3-1, 4.24. Peterson began his college career at Purdue, where he had success out of the bullpen in 2019, then shined in the shortened 2020 spring at Wabash Valley JC, posting a 3.05 ERA and a 29-7 K-BB mark in 20.2 innings. A 6-foot-6, 240-pound behemoth, Peterson has a whippy three-quarters to low three-quarters arm action and some front-side funk that gives him added deception. He attacked at 90-91 mph in my look with a decent spin rate up to 2315 rpm, and his three-quarters slurve showed solid bite in the 78-79 mph range. He also mixed in an adequate straight changeup at 85 mph. He used the big-breaking slurve as his putaway pitch on all three strikeouts in the inning I saw, showing very good feel for it against both righties and lefties, against whom he backfooted or backdoored it effectively. He should be a major impact contributor for the Huskies, and he appears to have the three-pitch repertoire and pitchability to succeed as a starter if called upon to assume that role next spring.

Two-way talent Erik Stock, who transferred to UConn from Old Dominion last year after recovering from Tommy John surgery, has a chiseled 6-foot-1, 205-pound physique and good pop in his righthanded stroke at the plate. I saw him drive the ball wit authority to all fields, highlighted by a towering two-run homer to left on a slider. Stock plays a good first base, but he’ll have to hit a ton to profile at that position in pro ball. Regardless, he should be a key middle-of-the-order run producer for the Huskies next year. His ticket to pro ball is likely as a pitcher; he has shown 92-93 mph heat and a good breaking ball off the mound this summer.

Finally, keep an eye on UConn righthander Angus Mayock, who has a sparkling 1.54 ERA in 11.2 innings this summer, though his walk rate is high. The nephew of Oakland Raiders GM Mike Mayock, Angus is a physical specimen at 6-foot-4, 225 pounds, and the Huskies said he has run his heater up to 94-95 mph in the past. I saw him pitch off an 86-88 mph sinker this summer, though his slingy three-quarters arm action suggests he is clearly capable of throwing harder. He mixed in a useful three-quarters slurve at 77 mph and a low-80s changeup. Arm issues have dogged Mayock over the course of his career, but he’s an interesting X-factor heading into 2021.<<

Reaction Score
UConn has had a pretty good run of having players (especially their California JUCOS) doing summer ball with the Healdsburg Prune Packers for the last several years.

Reaction Score
Caleb Wurster is playing summer college ball in a league in Newport, and has compiled some interesting stats. 3 games pitched, 2 of them as a starter, for a total of 7 innings. He has a 1.29 ERA, with 12 strikeouts, and he has given up 2 hits and 6 walks. I believe Wurster is the only UConn player in this league.

Reaction Score
Caleb Wurster is playing summer college ball in a league in Newport, and has compiled some interesting stats. 3 games pitched, 2 of them as a starter, for a total of 7 innings. He has a 1.29 ERA, with 12 strikeouts, and he has given up 2 hits and 6 walks. I believe Wurster is the only UConn player in this league.

I think @huskymedic may be on to something, considering I posted the above about a half hour ago. "Somebody" just might be reading the Boneyard:

I believe this is the first mention in a UConn baseball tweet about Caleb Wurster playing in Newport this summer.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom