2020 College Summer Ball - UConn players | Page 6 | The Boneyard

2020 College Summer Ball - UConn players

Reaction Score
Not really UConn related @ this point but Interesting nontheless.

In my view the first step in MLB's destruction of minor league baseball. I have to think displaced ownerships and cities will likely launch a legal battle with MLB on this one. I also have to view this as support for my view that MLB effort to destroy the low minors as a way to shift more of its past role of player development onto college baseball, and presumably keep more players in college and prevent many players from going pro after their junior seasons. I would think shortening the number of rounds in the MLB draft would probably end up being part of this as well.

My wife is a reporter in southeastern Connecticut and she has been covering this issue on how it pertains to the Norwich minor league team in the New York Penn League. She told me a couple of days ago that the MLB draft is being moved back to the All Star break. If you don't have short season minor league ball, there is no reason to have the draft in the first half of June.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In my view the first step in MLB's destruction of minor league baseball. I have to think displaced ownerships and cities will likely launch a legal battle with MLB on this one. I also have to view this as support for my view that MLB effort to destroy the low minors as a way to shift more of its past role of player development onto college baseball, and presumably keep more players in college and prevent many players from going pro after their junior seasons. I would think shortening the number of rounds in the MLB draft would probably end up being part of this as well.

My wife is a reporter in southeastern Connecticut and she has been covering this issue on how it pertains to the Norwich minor league team in the New York Penn League. She told me a couple of days ago that the MLB draft is being moved back to the All Star break. If you don't have short season minor league ball, there is no reason to have the draft in the first half of June.

Something I was unaware of until now, all clubs in the Appalachian League are owned by their MLB parents, so that would reduce the possibility of a first wave of lawsuits, unless the towns do the sueing. I still see it as a diminution of baseball, as there will be less pro jobs available, local fans won't be able to go to pro games as readily, and I would think the quality of baseball would be lower as well in the new Appalachian League.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Carlos Collazo@CarlosACollazo 2m
This new league is also not being viewed as a competitor to the Cape Cod League: "It will not replace the Cape... This is for younger players, guys looking to get their at-bats, get their work, get their pitching." - Harold Reynolds

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom