OT: - 2020 Big East recruiting | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: 2020 Big East recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Butler has been to a sweet sixteen at least.

The biggest problem has been early upsets for high seeds. The two best Xavier teams of the big east era both got knocked out in the second round. Nova has had a bunch of high seeds get upset early and creighton got upset with Dougie mcbuckets. If even 2-3 of those teams play to seed then the narrative of underperformance wouldn’t exist. Unfortunately it does and I understand that but I think perception of the league is skewed a little bit by some of those upsets

Reaction Score

The biggest problem has been early upsets for high seeds. The two best Xavier teams of the big east era both got knocked out in the second round. Nova has had a bunch of high seeds get upset early and creighton got upset with Dougie mcbuckets. If even 2-3 of those teams play to seed then the narrative of underperformance wouldn’t exist. Unfortunately it does and I understand that but I think perception of the league is skewed a little bit by some of those upsets
And Nova has twice as many championships as the Big 10 and Big 12 combined over the past decade or so. You add UConn and that's four times the championships in the past decade.

Reaction Score

We're here to fix that sort of thing, it's our specialty.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Or maybe those teams and the league were not as good as they were perceived to be and they were overseeded. Same way I think some AAC teams have been underseeded.

None of this matters. Big East plus UConn is going to be a very good league. Should be in the 5-6 bid range most of the time. I'm all about the future.

Reaction Score
If it makes you feel any better; I’m sitting here in the heart of SEC football country and - I can’t stress this enough - no one cares about college basketball.

I know that these schools are making an effort but ultimately they can’t force people to care.

The main advantage the Big East has, in my opinion, is it’s a group of traditional basketball schools that are all basketball centric, situated in prime recruiting real estate.

Georgia can hire Tom Crean. Georgia can renovate Stegman Coliseum. Athens is an amazing place to be a college student. But, most basketball kids going on a recruiting trip there know that they will be viewed as second class citizens by the athletic department, the students and the, essentially football-only, fanbase.
I went to the Kentucky game at Stegman a few years ago. It was great, but no Big East.

Reaction Score

There is some truth here, but 2 titles erases that earlier under performance.

Reaction Score
I went to the Kentucky game at Stegman a few years ago. It was great, but no Big East.

Yeah and Kentucky is usually the one game Georgia fans will get up for.

Just curious; what % of the fans were UK fans?

Reaction Score
We won’t talk about how well that has translated into championships lol
There is something to be said for the Kansas participation trophies.

Reaction Score

They should be proud to have just as many championships as traditional powers like Villanova!

Reaction Score
Yeah and Kentucky is usually the one game Georgia fans will get up for.

Just curious; what % of the fans were UK fans?
hmm, mostly Dawgs. I'd guess 75% Dawgs. It's a good venue with a solid crowd, but there were a number of empty seats. I'd imagine you can walk into any game.

Reaction Score
They should be proud to have just as many championships as traditional powers like Villanova!
The ancient history of the game is interesting.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

I'm an oddball, but I don't value championships as highly as some others do. Weird for a UConn fan. I want my team ranked and dancing every single year. A year out of the tournament is as painful as a championship is joyful. I hate it. I can't stand being on the sidelines.

Reaction Score
I'm an oddball, but I don't value championships as highly as some others do. Weird for a UConn fan. I want my team ranked and dancing every single year. A year out of the tournament is as painful as a championship is joyful. I hate it. I can't stand being on the sidelines.
I'll take an early exit if it's between 2 titles.

Reaction Score
hmm, mostly Dawgs. I'd guess 75% Dawgs. It's a good venue with a solid crowd, but there were a number of empty seats. I'd imagine you can walk into any game.

Oh easily. And, like I said, the Kentucky game is usually by far the best that environment is year and year out.

I’ve said it here many times, but I think it’s hard for a lot of people here to understand just how little basketball matters at some of these football schools.

Reaction Score
You really should be a Kansas fan then.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I'll take an early exit if it's between 2 titles.

What I really value is getting to the second week. And for what it's worth, KU gets to the second week quite a bit.

Reaction Score
Oh easily. And, like I said, the Kentucky game is usually by far the best that environment is year and year out.

I’ve said it here many times, but I think it’s hard for a lot of people here to understand just how little basketball matters at some of these football schools.

When it's not your number one sport, it's not quite the same, but I do enjoy it.

It's probably like UConn. WBB is the number 1 sport, but MBB still has a following.

Reaction Score
Or maybe those teams and the league were not as good as they were perceived to be and they were overseeded. Same way I think some AAC teams have been underseeded.

None of this matters. Big East plus UConn is going to be a very good league. Should be in the 5-6 bid range most of the time. I'm all about the future.

More likely that they were just unlucky. Regardless if they were overseeded, all of those teams were good enough to expect to be in the sweet sixteen at the very least. The fact that they didn’t leads me to think it was simply luck. And despite the aac being underseeded you’d think one of them would’ve broken through and made a run but Houston is the only team to make the sweet sixteen in that league besides UConn since realignment. That narrative doesn’t hold up well.

And just so you know the big east has averaged 5.2 bids a year since realignment. It’s already a 5-6 bid league

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When it's not your number one sport, it's not quite the same, but I do enjoy it.

It's probably like UConn. WBB is the number 1 sport, but MBB still has a following.

Lol

Reaction Score
I am. Wish UConn was as consistent. Wish KU won more titles (they might this year). Head to head UConn is always my team.

i went to grad school in PAC12 country so I left with a legit football program to root for (at least compared to KU lol). But could never consider inviting their bball team into my fanhouse. UConn is the landlord and there are no vacanies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom