2020-2021 UConn Men's Hockey | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2020-2021 UConn Men's Hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Alternate access link here<

>>UConn coach Mike Cavanaugh has been working with Capone — who had committed to Maine before choosing UConn last year — and the other players on the team three times a week. While there haven’t been 5-on-5 drills, it hasn’t taken long for Capone to impress his new coach.

“He has done a nice job,” Cavanaugh said. “He has acclimated himself pretty well. He is big and strong. We are still in pods of eight players at a time so I think he will shine even more when it is 5 on 5, when he gets to go up and down the ice and be physical.

“I naturally had seen him play quite a bit because he is a Connecticut kid, he made a decision to commit to school [Maine] very early but you still watch him, we would be out watching Salisbury play all the time. I thought he just kept getting better and better, I saw him play in the USHL and I thought he was just fantastic.”

It was during his time in the USHL that Capone decided to stay home and be part of the program Cavanaugh is building at UConn.<<

Reaction Score

>UConn will play a home and home series with each conference member except for Vermont and Maine. The Huskies will travel to Burlington for two games while the Black Bears will come to Connecticut for a pair.

Despite no out-of-conference matchups, not every game against Hockey East teams will count towards the league standings, though. If the season does begin on Nov. 20 and ends after the first weekend of the March, that would allow for three to four “flex” weekends.

Those would tentatively feature meetings between Hockey East schools that would be treated as non-conference games (i.e without points awarded towards the standings) but could be replaced by any potential conference matchups that may get postponed due a COVID outbreak, for example.<<

>>UConn will have two new members of its staff this season. Paul Devlin took over as Director of Hockey Operations from Morgan Hall, who had previously held the position since Cavanaugh took over the program. However, Hall won’t be completely leaving the program. He’s expected to continue to be involved with the new hockey arena project.

Meanwhile, Vince Stalletti replaced Matt Michno as goaltender coach. Stalletti previously coached at Division III UMass-Darmouth and played at Division III Johnson & Wales College in Providence. As is the case with most collegiate goaltender coaches, Stalletti is only a volunteer assistant which means he’ll work with UConn’s four goalies around twice a week for 30-45 minutes in addition to watching practice tape.<<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom