2020-2021 UConn Men's Hockey | The Boneyard

2020-2021 UConn Men's Hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

>>UConn men's hockey head coach Mike Cavanaugh announced the team captains for the 2020-21 season. Rising senior Adam Karashik (Ridgefield, Conn.) has been elected the team's captain for the upcoming season while classmates Brian Rigali (Libertyville, Ill.) and Zac Robbins (Glenview, Ill.) and rising junior Carter Turnbull (Nanaimo, British Columbia) will be alternate captains.<<

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Love that our 2020-2021 captain in homegrown. Ridgefield. Cav needs to keep more talent in-state. And there's tons of it.....Spencer Knight? Tyce Thompson? Jack Badini (father is a UConn '85 grad, but can't fault the kid for going to Harvard ;-) ? Cooper Moore?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Love that our 2020-2021 captain in homegrown. Ridgefield. Cav needs to keep more talent in-state. And there's tons of it.....Spencer Knight? Tyce Thompson? Jack Badini (father is a UConn '85 grad, but can't fault the kid for going to Harvard ;-) ? Cooper Moore?

If your talking about CT kids currently playing NCAA the list is much bigger then that. Patrick Harper and Sam Tucker at BU, Ben Solin at Harvard, Alex Mella and Billy Cattabino at N’Eastern, John McDermott at Providence, Craig Puffer, Alex Esposito and Matt Beck at UVM, Drew Hickey and Eric Esposito at UNH. All those guys are just the Hockey East ones in addition to Phil Kemp at Yale, there’s 2 Greenwich kids on Norte Dame, Mike Lee at Sacred Heart I believe was up for the Hobey, Quinny has a few I mean you’re exactly right the talent is here.

All those mentioned were just actual CT residents. When you throw in the kids that prep in state at Avon Old Farms, Choate, Brunswick, Salisbury, Westy etc and then all the kids that played juniors at Mid-Fairfield and for the CT Oilers I mean the list is endless. All those teams produce a TON of high end D1/even NHL level talent so we just gotta start grabbing our fair share. I have confidence once we have a decent facility to show we will do just that.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Have long felt that they don't try enough locally- I understand the prep kids and its hard, but it seems like they'd rather chase the elite Europeans than put in the work close to home. The facilities are *the* factor, but you're telling me you couldn't convince more than 1 DI prospect on a NE prep school to come here? C'mon.

Reaction Score
Have long felt that they don't try enough locally- I understand the prep kids and its hard, but it seems like they'd rather chase the elite Europeans than put in the work close to home. The facilities are *the* factor, but you're telling me you couldn't convince more than 1 DI prospect on a NE prep school to come here? C'mon.

Seems like they are grabbing a few more heading into the next few years w/ Heaslip (AOF), Puskar (Hotchkiss), Flynn (Loomis-Chaffe) plus Capone (East Haven kid). I might have missed one?

Reaction Score

It would appear that way but it also doesn’t seem to make any sense ya know? I’m not a recuiting coordinator but common sense says the easiest guys to recruit and recruit hard are the guys in your back yard. I’ve heard Cav talk about this and he said when they first started they couldn't even get so much as a return call from the CT kids that were going to BU and BC and now they are starting to atleast be in the conversation. He said they have gone the foreign route because they have had to and it’s not like they are scouring obscure rinks in Siberia, these are all USHL kids who go to school here.

I actually just looked it up before posting and they have more NE Prep kids then you think. Currently 4 on the roster with 8 more committed coming in the next few years. Your point remains tho

Reaction Score
Seems like they are grabbing a few more heading into the next few years w/ Heaslip (AOF), Puskar (Hotchkiss), Flynn (Loomis-Chaffe) plus Capone (East Haven kid). I might have missed one?

Capone played at Salisbury, Pascucci (think he comes in 21-22) at Governors Academy, D’Agostino (enrollment tbd) at Gunnery and then the 2 Russian kids from Westminster that I haven’t heard about in a while (Belov and Alishlalov maybe-there were originally 4 that committed real young and 2 of them are no longer in the mix). I guess the progress does speak for itself but we all want all the top NE kids yesterday haha

Reaction Score
Cav is doing what he has to do to build his program. It is a variation on what Pecnold did at QU. He went to Canada and brought in kids who were aging out of Jr hockey. They were talented, and strong and mature and were literally 24 year old men vs boys. They used to joke about QU saving money on scholarships because most guys were on social security. He established a program so doesn’t need to do that. People he recruits know who QU is now. When Cav goes on the recruiting trail he is just not getting guys who grew up watching BC BU YALE Harvard and so forth so he is building with Europeans. But he is starting to get a few local kids now. Karashuck is one. The Jack Flynn kid from outside Boston they got last year is another. If the make an NCAA tourney or two they will start getting more And can be more selective on the Europeans.

Reaction Score
I hope Pasquale is at least an adequate backup and sees some action. Vomacka looked tired at times last year. Plus I hate not having at least a solid backup.

Reaction Score
I'd love to see someone do a "where are they now" segment with former players. Chris Jones does a great job with the baseball team's former players.

Reaction Score
I hope Pasquale is at least an adequate backup and sees some action. Vomacka looked tired at times last year. Plus I hate not having at least a solid backup.
Do they have someone in the pipeline they can trust should Vomacka leave after this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom