2020-2021 Season in Jeopardy | The Boneyard

2020-2021 Season in Jeopardy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

This gives us a pretty good idea of what lies ahead for American Universities & Colleges. Does not bowed well for a 20-21 season.

Nothing says what will happen, but they have to have contingency plans in case it lasts longer, don't they? The same goes for businesses.

Reaction Score
I can't imagine a scenario of games with fans in attendance short of a fully implemented immunization program. Perhaps I am lacking imagination. Now if there were a way to carry on with sports without the crowd - that I could imagine working. Back to the basics.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I can't imagine a scenario of games with fans in attendance short of a fully implemented immunization program. Perhaps I am lacking imagination. Now if there were a way to carry on with sports without the crowd - that I could imagine working. Back to the basics.
Even without crowds, conducting any competitions where players are in close contact during the games and practice, traveling in busses and planes, together on the bench and in locker rooms poses a significant risk. All it would take is one player or coach testing positive for the virus and you might as well cancel the remainder of the season.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Games without fans can't last long because there will not be enough revenue coming in. How will schools be able to afford airplane travel with so little revenue coming in? Also, what oldude said about one player or coach testing positive. I think the possibility of a 2020/2021 season is very slim. If there is no season I believe the UConn team everyone expected to see this coming season will never take the floor. I find it hard to believe that Anna, Nika, and maybe Edwards will still want to come to the United States. Anna may turn pro. I hope none of that happens.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I had originally copied this in another thread before reading this one.
We forget that WCBB is a very small part of any "college" -even @ UCONN. For WCBB to return college must first return. I haven't seen any credible plans that college will return to anything close to normal 4 months from now. Which college is going to be the first to say yes we accept the risk of getting all our kids back on campus? Even if a college does accept that risk what do you do with a student who test positive? Do you send them home? If you are a parent knowing that kid test negative are you going to ever trust that all the other kids on the campus are negative. I think you will see distance learning as the norm this fall. Courses that cannot be conducted via distance learning will be deferred. This would allowed for most facilities on campus including the gym to remain closed. Each college can then access the situation say in November determine if return to campus for 2nd semester is possible. ( similar to the plan in the article posted above) Closed gyms would obviously mean no basketballs and a basketball season starting in December would push March madness to May.
The UCONN WBB '20-'21 roster was also supposed to include 3 international players. Will this country be open to accepting foreign students back by May or June?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
What is interesting is that research scientists are predicting a viable and safe vaccine for essential people only by the fall of 2020. Those considered essential to this point are presumably mainly health care workers. Scientists also predict a viable and safe inoculation for everyone between March and June of next year. Now, the questions are which essential professions outside of the health care field be considered, if any? How many dosages will be available? How will they be dispensed? Who will delineate which professions other than health care workers are essential, if any? How will they safeguard against black marketing?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think everything is very 'new' and all organizations and business are busy preparing various contingency plans. As far as the US is concerned, we have only really focused on the seriousness of this virus since Mar 12th. Look around the country and realizing the Championship games were scheduled for April 5 and 6 and how insane that now seems when going to a grocery store seems like a combat mission.

We are 5 weeks into a 'discovery phase' with no road map. The information available right now compared to what we will know in a further 5 weeks (late May) is very small. And we will continue learning more with every week that passes. No one can truly predict what our world will look like in June or July or August, so predicting whether fall classes or sports will exist is throwing darts at a board. It is just guesswork and it isn't even educated guesswork at this point since we do not even know if being exposed and recovering creates an immunity to further exposure - seems likely, but we do not have scientific proof.

Reaction Score
What is interesting is that research scientists are predicting a viable and safe vaccine for essential people only by the fall of 2020. Those considered essential to this point are presumably mainly health care workers. Scientists also predict a viable and safe inoculation for everyone between March and June of next year. Now, the questions are which essential professions outside of the health care field be considered, if any? How many dosages will be available? How will they be dispensed? Who will delineate which professions other than health care workers are essential, if any? How will they safeguard against black marketing?
Health Care Workers
Grocery Store Stockers & Clerks
Women's Basketball Players & Coaches

Sound about right?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
My proposed pecking order:
Healthcare workers and those involved in distribution of the cure eg. Pharmacist
First responders, & Military
Farmers and those directly responsible for producing food.
Research scientist directly working on a cure for similar type epidemics
Elderly over 60
Clergy & Mental health professionals-we are going to need them big time to cope.
School age children and teachers.
Other children & home or child care providers.
Everyone else not covered above.
Incarcerated
Lawyers and Politicians

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Incarcerated should be with first responders and military. Prisons, like schools, are places where something like this could spread like wildfire infecting inmates and corrections officers very quickly. The state is responsible for the well being of prisoners, like it or not.

Reaction Score
No self-respecting research scientist would ever predict a safe vaccine in that short of a time period. Whatever news source you gleaned that from is totally bogus.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Healthcare workers and those involved in distribution of the cure eg. Pharmacist
Elderly over 60
Clergy & Mental health professionals-we are going to need them big time to cope.
Other children & home or child care care providers.
Incarcerated
Lawyers and Politicians
Ain't that the truth.

The solution to much of this is, as I've touted for a month, are accurate and consistent serological antibodies testing. Those who are immune to the nova virus can get back to their lives even in the most affected areas. This to me is far more important than contact tracing and should IMO be at the top of the governments and the CDC's list.

JordyG

Reaction Score
No self-respecting research scientist would ever predict a safe vaccine in that short of a time period. Whatever news source you gleaned that from is totally bogus.
Then you should listen to the number of research scientists who are working the vaccine that agree with this assumption. These guys are working parallel testing at a rate that is unprecedented. Even the most conservative opinions say there will be a safe and effective vaccine a year from now. In most cases when it comes to nova viruses it takes twice the time.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Elderly over 60
Incarcerated
Lawyers and Politicians
The problem with inoculating the very young is this population just doesn't seem to get sick. They seem to show little to no symptoms in 999 out of a thousand infected cases, if that. In truth, those under the age of 35 seem to be viral incubators. They are mostly asymptomatic carriers that are infecting the rest of the world.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I would change Women's College Basketball Season start April 1 2021 and 6/1/21 and just do conference games with conference Tournaments 6/2-6/12/21
with NCAA Tournament 6/15-6/29.
With antibody testing and a vaccine you could even have some safe seating and concessions.
Restarting the economy or sending kids back to college or to sports arenas is meaningless until we have a vaccine.
I've just answered your post.

Reaction Score
Nothing says what will happen, but they have to have contingency plans in case it lasts longer, don't they? The same goes for businesses.
University and colleges are in the same position as all businesses currently shut down. They cannot open until it is safe to do so. Don't forget; the "second spike" of the 1918 pandemic was worse ( in terms of total infections and deaths ) than the original outbreak. As a result; the schools should not open until there is a readily available effective treatment to limit the course of this virus, once a person is infected, and 2. a vaccine is nationally available. Opening our society simply using the metric of a " low infection rate number" is not going to be enough. The virus can spread just as easily with a .01% infection rate as with a 15% infection rate. It just takes a bit longer.. But not that much longer, because we are dealing with a geometric level of growth. The good news is; Rutgers Univ. has just received approval for a saliva based test....which will be faster, simpler and require fewer people to handle each specimen. That means; universal testing will speed up. There are signs that certain therapeutic treatments are showing efficacy....injecting some form of "plasma' derived from "recovered" patients...a technique used in other epidemics/pandemics. If this proves effective, newly infected people will get relief and likely not develop dire consequences. There are indictions of a vaccine being available by next spring, and "in use" on an emergency basis for medical workers as early as September. But the immediate issue is what to do this Fall for colleges and Universities? In my view, it is likely safer to delay the openings...and I don't think holding classes at home is worth the full cost of admission. And, of course, without admission payments, how do the Universities stay financially strong? Obviously, they have to reach into endowments and slow down on expansion. But this is what we all have to do as well, as incomes are cut or eliminated, stock values decline; interest rates and dividends cease....etc. We will have to survive by eating into savings. So will they. What a mess. The longer we endure, the worse things become economically, but the more hopeful they become in terms of health breakthroughs. In the end, we need that most. And if 12 months is our window...that seems bearable.

Reaction Score
Elderly over 60
Incarcerated
Lawyers and Politicians

60 is elderly????????

Reaction Score
First of all, I'm not sure exactly where we are going to be by September, let alone November. If "social distancing" is still in effect the question is moot. If, however, there is freedom of movement to the extent that the players are allowed to participate on the floor then the games can be played. Television brings in more revenue that attendance and the viewing audience is also much larger. I believe that if, and that is a big if, the school is open some of the sports programs will be activated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom