2020-2021 Non-Uconn WCBB News | Page 9 | The Boneyard

2020-2021 Non-Uconn WCBB News

Reaction Score
I am happy for Choe Bibby but to me, she has not lived up to the promise she showed her 1st 2 years. Be it injuries or the MSU system, I thought she would be a better scorer or facilitator ala Kat Westbeld from ND. MD has a hodgepodge set of talented players now being led by talented (but too selfish IMO) Ashley Awusu. Collins showed nice end of freshman year promise at Tenn but can she thrive/grow under Brenda? Miller and even Masonius showed skills but how do they all mesh without a true pass first PG? This MD team is talented enough to Win the Big10 but are they really a top 8 team? Not so sure...

Off the top of my head I have SC, UConn, Stanford, Baylor, Louisville, Arizona, Kentucky and Oregon all ahead of them.
All those teams but not UCLA under Osbourne and Oyenwere?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
All those teams but not UCLA under Osbourne and Oyenwere?
Yes, I would add UCLA in there as well but I am not a huge fan of Close as Top 8 coach as she's been more of a "recruiter" than "coach" yet. But as Brenda has proved with her NCAAT and 2 other FF's with recruiting and good assistants, anything is possible. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I am happy for Choe Bibby but to me, she has not lived up to the promise she showed her 1st 2 years. Be it injuries or the MSU system, I thought she would be a better scorer or facilitator ala Kat Westbeld from ND. MD has a hodgepodge set of talented players now being led by talented (but too selfish IMO) Ashley Awusu. Collins showed nice end of freshman year promise at Tenn but can she thrive/grow under Brenda? Miller and even Masonius showed skills but how do they all mesh without a true pass first PG? This MD team is talented enough to Win the Big10 but are they really a top 8 team? Not so sure...

Off the top of my head I have SC, UConn, Stanford, Baylor, Louisville, Arizona, Kentucky and Oregon all ahead of them.
She was still not completely healthy this past season. She was obviously cleared to play but she not back in preinjury form. Further, she was playing a different role after the loss of T McCowan and A Howard. With those two commanding so much attention she didn’t have as tight of coverage on her.

Reaction Score

Channise Lewis is a pass first PG. I still think Maryland would have beaten South Carolina if Lewis wasn't lost for the season. She had 14 assists when they played in South Carolina. Ashley Owusu is a PG who can score. She is so skilled with her handles that she believes no one can guard her and that was pretty much the case in the Big 10 tournament.

I agree with those eight teams ahead of Maryland and you can add NC State, MSST and UCLA to that. By March Maryland will be a really tough team to beat.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Two things on Ashley, she needs to play more "under control" as a sophomore and needs to get in better playing shape. That said, I did enjoy watching her play last year. She has talent, no doubt but can Brenda bring out the best in her? Time will tell. Not sure I understand the last sentence as all the teams we both listed will also be improved by NCAAT time...and given Brenda's recent penchant for underperforming in March, I am not so sure "how tough" they will be.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

I'm going to respectfully disagree somewhat with my highly esteemed colleague regarding Maryland. No way am I putting Kentucky and Louisville ahead of them. I know that piling on Brenda is one of the Boneyard's time-honored sports, but Maryland in the latter half of 2019-20 was clearly a top 5 team and in fact was playing much better than Baylor and imho would've given even Oregon and SC a very good run for their money. Whatever light switch they found in about the 2nd week of January led to what can only be described as a UConn-like domination of the rest of their schedule. Yes, they have to replace some key players but, even with the out-transfers, MD still has more returning pieces than most of the other top teams.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I'm going to respectfully disagree somewhat with my highly esteemed colleague regarding Maryland. No way am I putting Kentucky and Louisville ahead of them. I know that piling on Brenda is one of the Boneyard's time-honored sports, but Maryland in the latter half of 2019-20 was clearly a top 5 team and in fact was playing much better than Baylor and imho would've given even Oregon and SC a very good run for their money. Whatever light switch they found in about the 2nd week of January led to what can only be described as a UConn-like domination of the rest of their schedule. Yes, they have to replace some key players but, even with the out-transfers, MD still has more returning pieces than most of the other top teams.
We can agree to disagree :oops: as while I do agree MD has talent, they are missing leadership as this is a young team. In looking at their rosters, I see talent at Kentucky (Jaz Massengale/Chasity Patterson transferred there) and at Louisville. Both have Jr/Sr leadership and bona fide stars in Howard and Evans. Maybe Maryland will go on a similar run this year like the 17 game winning streak they were on before the season ended prematurely. While we do both agree the Big10 was deep with 8 teams in the top 47 of RPI, none were elite among the likes of SC, Baylor, Oregon or even a depleted UConn. This squad has many questions to answer including new coaches and new faces on the Roster as just 3 players suited up for the Terps last year (Owusu/Miller/Masonius). While Collins, Bibby, Benzan and Reese either played elsewhere or are top HS talent, this is still unproven. I just don't think this year's version is a Top 8 program. Next year, most likely. Still friends? :)

Reaction Score
Two things on Ashley, she needs to play more "under control" as a sophomore and needs to get in better playing shape. That said, I did enjoy watching her play last year. She has talent, no doubt but can Brenda bring out the best in her? Time will tell. Not sure I understand the last sentence as all the teams we both listed will also be improved by NCAAT time...and given Brenda's recent penchant for underperforming in March, I am not so sure "how tough" they will be.
Maryland do underperform in the NCAA since the 2014-15 Final 4 teams.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

@Plebe the next time there is a Brenda pile on please let me know. I try not to miss them. ;):rolleyes:

Reaction Score

Longtime lurker, first-time poster but ... calling Owusu "too selfish" one year after she finished second in the Big Ten in assists per game and second nationally among freshmen in assist-to-turnover ratio is pretty wild. She also didn't raise a stink about not starting, despite having the ability to start for 99% of the teams in the country.

As for her being out of shape, not all point guards have to look the same. She was one of the best defenders on a really good defensive team last year.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Thank you.

I was curious so I looked it up. Last year according to Massey. the top Big South Teams were Campbell, Radford, and Hampton with ratings of 239, 241, and 250 respectively. The A10's bottom 3 were St Joes, George Mason, and St Bonaventure.... with ratings of 211, 226, and 263.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

If this is not the proverbial "sign o' the times."

(For those who remember the depression song, it sounds like "Sister, can you spare a game?")

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If Geno beats Tara to Pats record by Stanford being unable to play games, I will be....annoyed.
I don’t begrudge Tara for getting there first. Let her have her day in the sun. Geno is just behind her and wins at a higher rate. He will pass her this season or next, and then leave her in a cloud of dust.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom