2019 WNBA Draft | Page 13 | The Boneyard

2019 WNBA Draft

Reaction Score
Great Arike interview.

Rebecca: "What do you think you can bring to Dallas right away?"
Arike: "...Creating my own shot,... style - I like style points."

Nice nose ring too!
Does she wear the nose ring during games? I could have swore she was wearing one during the final four games, but thought I was imagining it because I don't think a coach would allow something like that during a game.

Reaction Score
As soon as Napheesa was picked by Minnesota, I was hoping they'd get Shepard. I didn't hold out much hope that she'd be available so far down, but I love Shepard and Collier both going to Minnesota. They're both great inside, both great passers. I'm hoping Jess can recreate Gabby's passing in to Pheesa from the high post.
That's a fun combo. I'm hoping Shepard can make the team. Reeves is clearly very familiar with her abilities, even the ones that McGraw didn't let Jess show (3 point shooting).

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Y’all are obsessed with Arike then ND fans are.
And here you are on a UConn board. Lol, so who is obsessed?

Man you'd think winning back to back national championships, you'd be too busy celebrating that rather than... oh... well still....

Really you need to troll better.

Reaction Score
Napheesa's draft pick matched her Hoopgurlz rankings out of HS: #6. Guess Olson hit the nail on the head there. Asia Durr's did too.

CL82

Reaction Score
LOL Not trolling. But I’ll take the high road since some of You don’t know how
Lol, feigning moral indignation, that's like step #3 in the Troll handbook, right?

You're not very good at this.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Glad to see T reunited with Victoria Vivians. Hate that Tori has torn her ACL and they won't play together this year. Also, nice to see Anriel Howard get drafted to Seattle. Hope she can stick on the roster. Would be nice to see her rebounding and outlet passing to my favorite women's PG of all time - SUE BIRD.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
Best Drafts:

Liberty: Asia Durr, Huff, and the tall girl from China – Durr is best player in draft, not Young

Sky: Samuelson, Jackson and Conde – their top two picks should make the roster

Wings: Ogunbowale, Gustafson and Bertsch – Gustafson will be a good bench player

Mercury: Smith, Turner, Cunningham, Carter – Four good players – two might make the roster

Storm: Magbegor, Howard, Miller – Nice take for drafting last

Worst Drafts:

Fever: McCowan, Key – Not a lot of immediate help

Sun: Anigwe, Carleton, McGarity – Not much help, could have done better

Dream: Cazorla, Yueru – Tough drafting 11th, got the big they wanted in trade, Cazorla could surprise

Notes

All you have to say to demonstrate the difference between college and pro play is note that the player (Gustafson) that many (AP, ESPN, Naismith) picked as the best college player in the nation got drafted 17th.

I don't recall any previous AP or ESPN Player of the Year dropping to the second round.

CL82

Reaction Score
Well if I’m trolling I don’t even realize it. I rarely ever try and troll.
... and yet here you are on a UConn board, accusing UConn posters of being obsessed with Notre Dame. Hmm, go figure.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Layshia Clarendon on Collier to Minnesota

I can't remember where I saw it, maybe it was a mock draft, but somebody had Collier going to Minnesota. Nothing else need be said. She's been deemed pro ready by Clarendon and other WNBA players and scouts who should know. Of course, WE knew it all along. ;) Napheesa will do well in the land of a thousand lakes. It's going to be fun watching all of these first year players this season.

Reaction Score
I would be lying if I said I thought Young was going to be the number one pick. She is extremely talented, but she isn't the standalone top player of the class. I think Lambeer tried his best to get Cambage, but couldn't figure out any good trades with the Wings. The best player for his system would either be a big, or an all-around guard. The Aces pick makes sense because Young can be an All-Star, but a reserved one. The Aces have Wilson and McBride as the dominant scorers, with Plum starting to play a lot better. IMO, Jefferson has way more upside than Plum, but Plum can stay healthy. Availability is the best ability. I think whoever gets MoJeff from a trade would be getting a steal, but Lambeer obviously is more aware of that than any of us fans.

Durr wouldn't work with McBride or Plum. She's too ball dominant, can't play the 3, and isn't as versatile. I think Asia works perfect in New York. They need someone like her. LV needs someone like Young more than Durr.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Does she wear the nose ring during games? I could have swore she was wearing one during the final four games, but thought I was imagining it because I don't think a coach would allow something like that during a game.

No. Players can't wear any jewelry. The coaches don't have a say in that. The referees enforce that rule. :cool:

Reaction Score
In respect to working out a trade with Dallas for Cambage, I don't think the top pick in relation to the following ones had the value it often does. Too many other players of similar value available farther down the draft. No franchise changing generational player available this draft.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Best Drafts:

Liberty: Asia Durr, Huff, and the tall girl from China – Durr is best player in draft, not Young

Sky: Samuelson, Jackson and Conde – their top two picks should make the roster

Wings: Ogunbowale, Gustafson and Bertsch – Gustafson will be a good bench player

Mercury: Smith, Turner, Cunningham, Carter – Four good players – two might make the roster

Storm: Magbegor, Howard, Miller – Nice take for drafting last

Worst Drafts:

Fever: McCowan, Key – Not a lot of immediate help

Sun: Anigwe, Carleton, McGarity – Not much help, could have done better

Dream: Cazorla, Yueru – Tough drafting 11th, got the big they wanted in trade, Cazorla could surprise

Notes

All you have to say to demonstrate the difference between college and pro play is note that the player (Gustafson) that many (AP, ESPN, Naismith) picked as the best college player in the nation got drafted 17th.

I don't recall any previous AP or ESPN Player of the Year dropping to the second round.
I think Lynx did really well
Napheesa, Shepard, Lexie Brown (trade), Dillard (looked good against Uconn) and Bell. Brown was the #9 pick last year. Bell is probably not making any roster, but Dillard might surprise and not a bad flier at #20.

With Maya sitting out 2019, and Augustus and Brunson heading towards the end of their careers there are going to be opportunities for new talent.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I think he'll trade one of: Jackie, Moriah, Kelsey, KMac.

Unless he's feels his team is set "as is", and I doubt that. He's not known as "Trader Bill" for nothing. He's going to be wheeling and dealing in the days and weeks to come. ;) I can see him trading Kelsey, and Moriah, but not KMac. He still needs a BIG.

Carnac

Reaction Score
And I thought Lexie looked underwhelmed when the Sun selected her last year. Anigwe's whole table looked like they were being brave saying goodbye at the jailhouse door.

LOL, good one. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Just might go and watch Vegas play against the Sky and Lynx when they come to town.

Maybe I'll see you there. I plan on going to at least 3-4 Aces games this year.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Minnesota trades one of their draft picks (Heideman) for Lexie Brown.

butler.gif

Carnac

Reaction Score
Skylar and Arike on the same team. No one on this board is gonna root for the Wings, lol.

I will. Dallas was one of my 4 favorite teams last year along with NY, LA, and the Aces. I will continue to do so. I like the Wings. :)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
What's the deal with nobody wanting to be drafted by Connecticut?

Perhaps its the location... . an no offense to any residents of Eastern CT..... but if you are young person... just out of college ... and you had the chance to spend 4-5 spring and summer months in Atlanta, NYC, DC, Chicago, Seattle, LA, Minneapolis, Las Vegas, Dallas, or Norwich...... which would you choose?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Perhaps its the location... . an no offense to any residents of Eastern CT..... but if you are young person... just out of college ... and you had the chance to spend 4-5 spring and summer months in Atlanta, NYC, DC, Chicago, Seattle, LA, Minneapolis, Las Vegas, Dallas, or Norwich. which would you choose?
Las Vegas, Seattle, or Dallas, because unlike Atlanta, NYC, DC, Chicago, LA, Minneapolis, and Norwich they have no income tax. So their pay and endorsements don't get taxed as much.

Reaction Score
So with Katie Lou and Naphessa being drafted 4th and 6th respectively this year it means the 2015-16 UConn team had six future Top 6 WNBA selections.

Breanna Stewart (1st 2016)
Moriah Jefferson (2nd 2016)
Morgan Tuck (3rd 2016)
Gabby Williams (4th 2018)
Katie Lou Samuelson (4th 2019)
Napheesa Collier (6th 2019)

To put that in context there are only 4 other schools that have had at least six Top 6 WNBA selections in their school history.

List of schools with 2 or more Top 6 WNBA selections.

1554968422339.png

Reaction Score
No idea what you are saying
What the analysts said correctly, she's a center who will be playing against much taller centers. Obviously, the pros saw that as a problem. The Big Ten isn't much of a bb conference but good enough she played enough minutes to score big. She took Iowa a long ways this year but as tourney continued they were clearly outmatched. But let's hope she proves them all wrong.

Reaction Score
Keep hoping Moriah gets traded out of Las Vegas to a team that will appreciate her game. I think Bill is a good coach and a good team builder, but I don't think Moriah is his 'type' of player
To the Chicago Sky!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom