2019 Recruiting Thread

Discussion in 'Football Recruiting' started by huskymedic, Jun 18, 2016.

1. huskymedic

huskymedic

He’s just big w/ room to grow...

History Geek and Exit 4 like this.
  2. huskymedic

huskymedic

Group announcement coming?

3. Pudge

Pudge

the Truth about QB recruitment.

WE will get a good one. There simply - every year - too many really solid prospects for too few FBS top QB spots. With the disclaimer, often HS QBs may not turn out to be as good in college as any evaluator might think. I read extensively on Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen coming out of HS; it is sometimes weird how kids progress to a big time environment and on the field. Steven K was ours even though he had lots of offers in the Fall of 2017. Kids filled out the P5 slots ... and then the rest circle. I am certain this STAFF at UCONN has their eye on a few kids (maybe one specifically that we really want). A QB - and think of this if you were his Dad or a mentor - has to grab the musical chair seat probably by the first game of his Senior year. Many show well that Senior year who hadn't played the position in previous years. That means the mix gets even more supply ... maybe from a kid who played TE as a Junior and now has his moment.

Marvin Washington was an anomaly. A really great pick by UConn in the last few weeks before the National LOI day. From Florida (and from my view ... FL kids just seem to like to wait to the last weeks). MW was not going to be a top QB recruit for any P5 program in January; all of them already had one or two verbals ready. Marvin Washington was going to have to be the second or third guy at a P5 and really shine. HCRE came in with Rhett Lashlee ... and we were an opportunistic possiblity. We only had McAfee who was a largely unknown quality on boards. MW looked at his opportunity set and that UConn slot looked very good (plus we had Terry Richardson who has FL cred).

I cannot explain away HCRE recruiting of QBs after Orlovsky. I think SK and MW are projected to be better than most all of those kids. I liked Lorenzen; but he was a fully formed Juco. Somehow ... I have more optimism on QB going forward.

4. Exit 4

Exit 4 This space for rent

Trent Holler who has exploded on the recruiting trail picking up a Cincy, Pitt and WVU offer since his visit on 6/4 has posted some UConn pics moments ago. Maybe we are still a real candidate here. The WVU offer is pinned.

5. huskysupporter

huskysupporter

I doubt he is being recruited as a tight end. It’s evident from the picture that he has the frame to carry 300 pounds. And he is wearing 77.

6. Exit 4

Yes, looks more like an OT, but I could see him checking in as a TE on the goal line. We shall see.

huskysupporter likes this.
  7. Exit 4

Valentin Senn is now back home in Austria contemplating his 6 camps in 11 days tour.

During his trip, Senn also picked up Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) offers from Colorado, Akron, Buffalo, Connecticut, Dartmouth, Holy Cross, Lafayette, Maine and Towson.

Austrian OL impresses Buffs, others

8. YoungFree

YoungFree

So I was taking a gander at the offers...why is Dallas/Fort Worth UConn's recruiting focus compared to Houston?

Is that simply because we haven't gone down to Houston yet? Just figured that would be the natural place to go seeing we have conference affiliation in Houston.

9. uconnphil2016

uconnphil2016 Head Rat

I dunno, but we are killing it in Dallas area...Corey doing a great job

10. YoungFree

YoungFree

Yeah, the list of recruits that are within 40 minutes Smith are amazing. Smith's high school actually plays a couple of the guys we have offered and is within walking distance of other high schools with guys I am not entirely sure why they weren't offered but are getting buzz from good schools.

It will be awesome to establish a recruiting pipeline in TX...it's a goldmine.

11. huskymedic

huskymedic

We offered 3-4 kids from greater Houston area last year with no results. They recruit there but I think this staff has stronger ties/relationships to the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex (were we also have a conference affiliation ;)).

uconnphil2016 and Stainmaster like this.
  12. huskymedic

huskymedic

h/t to @Exit 4 who sniffed this out:

Trayvon Moss is a 6-0 205lb WR/LB from Victory Christian School in Tulsa Oklahoma. Other offers from Cincinnati, Northern Arizona, Ohio, Oregon State, Temple and Western Carolina.

Highlights

tiger8mush, Exit 4 and uconnphil2016 like this.
  13. blue93

blue93

Minor point but if we're his 4th offer, 3 of those schools listed must not have offered (yet).

Stinger92860 likes this.
  14. huskymedic

huskymedic

Look @ the date... it was missed on the 5th. Picked up offers since the 5th (Temple, Beavers and Cincy).

15. Exit 4

Right and the most recent is Oregon State and he has that one pinned.

16. gioff23

gioff23

Remember when HCRE 1.0 announced he would not recruit in TX? Something about chasing ghosts. Looks like CE's time in Colorado has paid off well for us - now, if we could get him past those ethical walls Head bang

17. blue93

blue93

You're right... must be time for a second cup of coffee

Exit 4 likes this.
  18. uconnphil2016

uconnphil2016 Head Rat

Haha I don’t. RE left when I was like a sophomore in high school. I watched most of the games back then but didn’t follow the background stuff

19. YoungFree

YoungFree

I always forget about SMU being in Texas. In my mind I think of it on the Tex-Mex border...

20. YoungFree

YoungFree

That's a lot of red compared to the Blue. How many total offers did we have last year before it was all said and done? Above 120 right?

21. uconnphil2016

uconnphil2016 Head Rat

We had more slots to fill last year

22. YoungFree

YoungFree

Just trying to gauge the red vs. blue/black compared to last year. I am in full analyis mode at the moment thanks to my current tasks at work...looking for connections that probably don't exist. Lol.

uconnphil2016 likes this.
  23. huskymedic

huskymedic

Not even close - 174 known offers.

We had one commit at this date last year.

24. Da_Aisijimo_Gou

Da_Aisijimo_Gou

Almost nothing along the overwhelming majority of the Texas-Mexico border bears any resemblance with SMU's campus and the similarly affluent town of Highland Park. Well, perhaps some SMU student's family oil holdings financing his/her Beemer, Benz, etc.

25. Da_Aisijimo_Gou

Da_Aisijimo_Gou

Unfortunate consideration: When "... HCRE 1.0 announced he would not recruit in TX", remember the primarily Atlantic coast (northeast, mid-Atlantic to FL) location of most of UConn's conference opponents? :(
    In contrast now, maybe there's some focus on good recruits and parents in Texas open to a very well respected university in CT ???