2019 Recruiting: Kareem Reid - Reclassing from 2020 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2019 Recruiting: Kareem Reid - Reclassing from 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Obviously, scholarships openings can be expected to grow, but, if we really have only 1 opening for next year how does the team improve if not used on: 1) an aggressive rebounding power player >6'9 >230lbs, 2) a rim protector type, 3) quality ball handling guard depth, or 4) a sharp shooter. Nothing against the player who could turn out to develop very nicely, but Freshman 6'8 bench depth from a player that doesn't check any of these boxes is hard to get excited about, UNLESS, it is not truly our last scholly and room will develop.
Hurley meeting with players this week, we'll have more than one scholarship.

Reaction Score
Obviously, scholarships openings can be expected to grow, but, if we really have only 1 opening for next year how does the team improve if not used on: 1) an aggressive rebounding power player >6'9 >230lbs, 2) a rim protector type, 3) quality ball handling guard depth, or 4) a sharp shooter. Nothing against the player who could turn out to develop very nicely, but Freshman 6'8 bench depth from a player that doesn't check any of these boxes is hard to get excited about, UNLESS, it is not truly our last scholly and room will develop.

He may be less than 6'9 but he has a 7'5 wing span, that by itself will give him an advantage grabbing boards and protecting the rim than many of his taller peers. Very few kids are 230 coming out of high school, they are rare to find and why losing Kofi hurt so bad.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Doesn't sound like an impact guy for next season but, I don't mind locking up potential a year early if that's what it takes to rebuild the talent level. Especially if he has the intangibles that would lead you to believe his attitude is the right one.

SubInATub

I have midnight visits
Reaction Score
Doesn't sound like an impact guy for next season but, I don't mind locking up potential a year early if that's what it takes to rebuild the talent level. Especially if he has the intangibles that would lead you to believe his attitude is the right one.

Right. I don't think Hurley is going into this expecting next year to be make or break. He is rebuilding for the long haul.

Reaction Score
6'8 210 PF with a reported 7'5 wingspan. Rated 4* by all three recruiting services.

From September:

Even though he’s generating interest from high-major schools, Reid still has room to grow.

“Kareem, he has to get there,” PSA coach Tom Espinosa said. “He played for the NY Reins and was kind of up and down. He’s still up and down a little bit.

“He needs to be a little more consistent and play block to block,” the coach added. “Sometimes he wants to be out in the 3 hole and that’s where he struggles.
Gotta love that 7-5 wingspan. Could grow into a real monster on the boards.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
The only member of the staff that follows this kid on twitter is Tripp Doherty. But of course the boneyard thinks of that he must be coming to UConn if he’s reclassifying.

Even if he was... A reclassified big who didn’t start for PSA is supposed to help us right away next year? I don’t like the odds of that

Reaction Score
The only member of the staff that follows this kid on twitter is Tripp Doherty. But of course the boneyard thinks of that he must be coming to UConn if he’s reclassifying.

Even if he was... A reclassified big who didn’t start for PSA is supposed to help us right away next year? I don’t like the odds of that

If we land him Natty Championship is in our grasp!

Reaction Score

Not one person here has said they think he’ll be an impact player next year. If Hurley can get a grad transfer big to help immediately and then a developmental four year guy that can at least soak up some fouls, I’m fine with that.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Not one person here has said they think he’ll be an impact player next year. If Hurley can get a grad transfer big to help immediately and then a developmental four year guy that can at least soak up some fouls, I’m fine with that.
As of right now we have two bigs in the roster to soak up fouls. That may change, but even if it does, we need players who can help in 2019-2020, not two years from now. This would look like a big reach in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Will “they” be asked to leave or willingly leave?
Think he's doing the same thing Calhoun and other coaches do, being honest about playing time and their future at Connecticut and basketball in general. If Hurley was a jerk and all about telling players to hit the bricks he would have done it right when he signed with UConn.

Reaction Score
As of right now we have two bigs in the roster to soak up fouls. That may change, but even if it does, we need players who can help in 2019-2020, not two years from now. This would look like a big reach in my opinion.
He's a top 150 recruit and almost top 100 on 247. At a position of need. And he seems to have high upside. We need to get back to developing kids.

Reaction Score

It's about adding talent. Unlikely UConn is going to add any impact players at this point for next season. Add some depth behind Carlton and Akok and we'll be good. Now that we have a competent bigs coach, I'm happy to take a chance on any 4* big.

Plus, Twitter doesn't really mean much at this point since we know Reid's got a UConn offer and they've had him sit behind the bench on 4 different occasions this past season - Morehead State, Arizona, Florida State, and USF.

Reaction Score
He's only a consensus 4 star big. Huge reach. Would be an awful addition. :rolleyes:
As someone who has seen him play several times, I am surprised to see him reclassify and I would consider this a reach too if we were asking him to play substantial minutes this year. Hurley doesn’t have enough scholarship to take on a project and by reclassifying, that’s what Reid is now IMO.

Rankings aren’t the end all be all, there’s plenty kids in the top 125 who don’t contribute anything as freshman. We got almost no production from the 3 and 4 slots this year and now don’t have a backup center. I want the roster filled out with kids who can play next year (grad transfers or good JUCOs).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom