2019 Recruiting: Kareem Reid - Reclassing from 2020 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2019 Recruiting: Kareem Reid - Reclassing from 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubInATub

I have midnight visits
Reaction Score
As of right now we have two bigs in the roster to soak up fouls. That may change, but even if it does, we need players who can help in 2019-2020, not two years from now. This would look like a big reach in my opinion.

This kid is exactly the type of player Hurley had success with at Rhode Island.

Now before you say "This is UConn, no URI standards blah blah blah" Those kids could have played at UConn.

Reaction Score
As someone who has seen him play several times, I am surprised to see him reclassify and I would consider this a reach too if we were asking him to play substantial minutes this year. Hurley doesn’t have enough scholarship to take on a project and by reclassifying, that’s what Reid is now IMO.

Rankings aren’t the end all be all, there’s plenty kids in the top 125 who don’t contribute anything as freshman. We got almost no production from the 3 and 4 slots this year and now don’t have a backup center. I want the roster filled out with kids who can play next year.
Who exactly do you think we have a shot with that will be an immediate impact player next year?

Reaction Score
It's about adding talent. Unlikely UConn is going to add any impact players at this point for next season. Add some depth behind Carlton and Akok and we'll be good. Now that we have a competent bigs coach, I'm happy to take a chance on any 4* big.

Plus, Twitter doesn't really mean much at this point since we know Reid's got a UConn offer and they've had him sit behind the bench on 4 different occasions this past season - Morehead State, Arizona, Florida State, and USF.
Exactly. I'd rather get this kid and dream on his upside as a useful big than to fill a positional need with a conventional center. 7'5 wingspan is crazy too. I wonder if the kid still has one ore growth spurt in him because 6'8 with a 7'5 wingspan just seems so abnormal. If he grew to 6'10 that'd be awesome.

Reaction Score
Is Mamadou out next year? He warmed up with the team before games and played a few minutes against Wichita State. He’s a redshirt Jr next year and IMO, when healthy, is great. Does anyone know if his chronic knee injuries will be behind him his Jr or Sr year?

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
This kid is exactly the type of player Hurley had success with at Rhode Island.

Now before you say "This is UConn, no URI standards blah blah blah" Those kids could have played at UConn.
I like the kid’s upside, but we have wasted scholarships already on the board and we’re down a scholarship next year. I get wanting to add talent, but I’m of the opinion that they need to add players who aren’t essentially redshirts.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
We're not getting two impact bigs for 2019 so you might need to lower that bar a bit.
If we’re striking out with all the decent grad transfers and a couple extra scholarships open up then fine, but I’m just not going to expect anything more than him being this year’s Whaley.

It’s just tougher when you feel the squeeze of having a limited number of scholarships.

Reaction Score
Is Mamadou out next year? He warmed up with the team before games and played a few minutes against Wichita State. He’s a redshirt Jr next year and IMO, when healthy, is great. Does anyone know if his chronic knee injuries will be behind him his Jr or Sr year?
We're not supposed to talk about it but bball may not be in his future.

Reaction Score
If we’re striking out with all the decent grad transfers and a couple extra scholarships open up then fine, but I’m just not going to expect anything more than him being this year’s Whaley.

It’s just tougher when you feel the squeeze of having a limited number of scholarships.
I really don't think it's one or the other. There will be more than one open scholarship for next year. Hurley can take a grad transfer big and Reid. I'd rather that than another grad transfer that is also just 5 fouls next year. This guy is at least a four star that could contribute more by 2020.

Reaction Score
It's about adding talent. Unlikely UConn is going to add any impact players at this point for next season. Add some depth behind Carlton and Akok and we'll be good. Now that we have a competent bigs coach, I'm happy to take a chance on any 4* big.

Plus, Twitter doesn't really mean much at this point since we know Reid's got a UConn offer and they've had him sit behind the bench on 4 different occasions this past season - Morehead State, Arizona, Florida State, and USF.
I agree with this take, and the staff knows best, but as a c/o 2019 member, I would expect it to take a couple of years for Reid to start making an impact. Maybe he really improved towards the end of the season though.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

He outweighs Whaley by something like 30 pounds now. I get that he's not a polished player at the moment. But that physicality is desperately needed on this team. We were physically beaten up by half the teams we played this year. He looks like he could add another 10 pounds of muscle and be a real force down low.

I think Hurley will grab a JUCO or Grad transfer backup 5 as well. But I like the idea of this kid for the future. Akok looks like a 2 year player to me. Having a PF to develop behind him would be very helpful. And if he grows two inches, he's a 5. One article listed him at 6'9". So if he's growing still and gets to 6'10", will the ball skills he has, he'd be a steal.

Reaction Score
It will be very telling over the next week what happens. He could now get a barrage of offers that he re-classed, but if he does move quickly to UConn, it will be pretty clear the staff told him that was best and they wanted him this year.

I think we take a JUCO big, possibly Kareem, and a grad transfer guard for next year. Should be some scholarship clarity here in the next week or two.

Reaction Score

Not a giant difference but his wingspan is 7’3.5. Still really long.

I think the 7’5 was from one of the big camps where the heights and wingspans got messed up. Andrew Slater tweeted out a list that was then amended.

With him and Akok in the game... that can translate into a lot of blocked shots. God I miss being guard-u and shot block-u.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If DH and the staff thinks he is ready to contribute next year beyond a few minutes here and there - I'm all for it.
If not, UConn needs a legit big who can play D1 comp day one, that is where the concentration needs to be. Not saying that it isn't, but the possibility that they are talking a 2020 fairly certain signee into reclassifying for 2019 isn't giving me a solid feeling. Especially in context to what his current coach's observations reveal.
Now, if there were 2 more schollys opening up for 2019 kids - yeah for sure - kid is growing, needs a decent amount of work AND playing time. Yet best - appears to love UConn.

Reaction Score
He's raw but he's a lefty with a better frame than all our current bigs, keeps the Putnam Espinosa pipeline, tight with Akok. Don't see anything bad here as long as we add another immediate game impacter for next year.

Also, a lot of people thought Diarra is a great fit at power forward for what Hurley wants to do. Well this is a Diarra type with good knees that Hurley and co. can mold from the beginning.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
I have no problem signing this kid. Seems like a guy who can help with rebounding and develop into a solid four year player for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom