2019 Recruiting: Jaylin Hunter | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2019 Recruiting: Jaylin Hunter

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Whoa, I've actually never heard of any other school that does that. I'm sure there are some.
Rutgers does.

Reaction Score
Rutgers does.

Yep, just checked that--though it comes with caveats.

If you're tenured faculty, your children only get 50% tuition remission.

Yet if you're an administrator making $106,000 you're eligible for full tuition. Kind of a strange policy since I'm sure Rutgers has tenured faculty who earn in the 60k range.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Yale gives bucks for any college, not just Yale.
Fairfield does it.

Reaction Score
Yale gives bucks for any college, not just Yale.
Fairfield does it.

That all sounds good, until it's put into practice. Friends at those schools report it is useless. Essentially, the schools keep 5 or so spots open for each school in the co-op, and when those spots are gone, they are gone, not to mention the fact that applying for one of those spots may harm your chances of being admitted at all.

In other words, you apply for those spots, so the tuition remission isn't automatic upon admission.

pj

Reaction Score
Yep, just checked that--though it comes with caveats.

If you're tenured faculty, your children only get 50% tuition remission.

Yet if you're an administrator making $106,000 you're eligible for full tuition. Kind of a strange policy since I'm sure Rutgers has tenured faculty who earn in the 60k range.

It's the state university of New Jersey. Administrators are political hacks. Of course they get better compensation than teaching faculty. What's a state university for?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Whoa, I've actually never heard of any other school that does that. I'm sure there are some.

Marist College covers 16 credits per semester for dependent children of full-time faculty and employees. (I don’t think they cover room and board.)

If the kid goes elsewhere, they offer $2,000 per semester for eight semesters.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Yep, this is correct.

Also, my personal example isn’t from the 90’s lol. UConn class of 2014!

How many of us are here...

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
This is actually a very common practice for most Universities. I had a good friend go to QU more or less for free (commuted from home). Its the financial equivalent of winning the lottery.
It apparently is common practice. I have a friend that works for security at U of H and as long as his daughter is eligible from an academic standpoint (she would otherwise be accepted) she gets to go for free tuition not only at U of H but also at a number of other colleges that belong to some kind of group that U of H participates with (reciprocal admissions for employees whose children are academically eligible). That's a hell of a bonus.

Reaction Score
He’s a low major player. Would 100% welcome him as a walk-on who gets spot minutes since he wouldn’t take up a scholly but would not blame him if he wanted to go to another school that he would play more

Hard to pass up a player who makes every shot he takes.

Reaction Score
It apparently is common practice. I have a friend that works for security at U of H and as long as his daughter is eligible from an academic standpoint (she would otherwise be accepted) she gets to go for free tuition not only at U of H but also at a number of other colleges that belong to some kind of group that U of H participates with (reciprocal admissions for employees whose children are academically eligible). That's a hell of a bonus.

I've been associated with 8 universities, none of which had this practice for employees.

Michigan state U. system, New York state system, Pennsylvania state system, U. Rochester, Boston U., etc. I've also never known colleagues who did this with kids. That's why I was highly surprised. I know some schools are in a Co-Op that do reciprocal admissions, but what I hear is that the spaces for that type of thing are hardly ever available (for instance, a friend's daughter went Ivy League after not landing a reciprocal spot at Tufts, so it's harder to get such a spot than it is to be admitted to an Ivy League school).

Reaction Score
Learned from the Jeff Goodman podcast that Dan Hurley's son plays for East Catholic too, which would make him teammates with Jaylin. I gather that East Catholic is one of the better programs in the state, but it's pretty wild that two of our coachs' sons play there together.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Learned from the Jeff Goodman podcast that Dan Hurley's son plays for East Catholic too, which would make him teammates with Jaylin. I gather that East Catholic is one of the better programs in the state, but it's pretty wild that two of our coachs' sons play there together.
If East Catholic loses a single game this year it will be a surprise. They were absolutely loaded before they added Jaylin.

Reaction Score
If East Catholic loses a single game this year it will be a surprise. They were absolutely loaded before they added Jaylin.

They are very good but they lost 2 d1 caliber players from last year and sacred heart in Waterbury is also loaded this season. East could definitely could go undefeated in regular season as I believe they also did last year.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
My wife got a full academic scholly to Auburn and her step dad is faculty. She got her tuition-free benefit from being the child of faculty on top of her scholarship, so the money went right to her pocket.

Reaction Score
And we’re going to need a PG. We’re replacing a true PG and a combo with a combo and a wing. Our only other true PG on the team AG had not played a full season of basketball in 3 years coming into this season. I actually think Hunter can find minutes year one.
Gaffney

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I've been associated with 8 universities, none of which had this practice for employees.

Michigan state U. system, New York state system, Pennsylvania state system, U. Rochester, Boston U., etc. I've also never known colleagues who did this with kids. That's why I was highly surprised. I know some schools are in a Co-Op that do reciprocal admissions, but what I hear is that the spaces for that type of thing are hardly ever available (for instance, a friend's daughter went Ivy League after not landing a reciprocal spot at Tufts, so it's harder to get such a spot than it is to be admitted to an Ivy League school).
My sister was on the faculty of Rhode Island College and her son was able to go to URI tuition free so it is not necessarily beyond state schools. Also I have heard that the Catholic Colleges in this area have some kind of reciprocal arrangements among themselves but not sure if it extends beyond faculty/some level of Admin.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

ECHS has been the de facto school for many UConn coaches' kids over the past twenty years. Obviously baseball has a long lineage. Edsall's kids went there, Geno, PP and many assistant coaches too.

I think Hunter may have initially enrolled at another school and after a short while was pointed to East Catholic.

Pasqualoni's daughter is on the girls Bball team and supposedly she is a pretty good player. I believe she is a junior. Girl's bba team is undefeated this year too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

My sister's kid got quite a break at Brown because she works there, though not a full ride.

Reaction Score
Agreed but Windsor may give them a run ... they have the athletes and talent to stay with them. Sacred Heart out of conference is the team to beat if Tabor plays the full season (no reason to believe he will not). They matched up well in the East Hartford fall league (East won in OT) and that was without Tabor.

Reaction Score
My sister's kid got quite a break at Brown because she works there, though not a full ride.

My wife taught at Brown for a couple of years. Anyone who goes to Brown and makes less than $150k is going to get a huge break. The Ivies are swimming in money.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
My wife taught at Brown for a couple of years. Anyone who goes to Brown and makes less than $150k is going to get a huge break. The Ivies are swimming in money.

Once Harvard/Yale offered the free ride deal to anyone who was remotely needy, all other Ivies followed suit. Gotta compete.

Reaction Score
Not just faculty in the 90’s. All full time employees. Not sure how it is now. I had a couple friends that had parents working there in other capacities and they were tuition free.
Yup. Nice perk. My son-in-law took advantage of his mother working at UConn Health many years ago.

Reaction Score
Are you a Marist grad Fishy?

My long time buddy Mike McCarthy is class of '81. He used to refer to himself as "the other Mike McCarthy" out in his current residence of Milwaukee.

No more I guess lol. He still has his job as COO of the Bucks.

Hangin' with The Freak. (Chief drops by when Detroit is in town )

I thought he left the Bucks. My father did some work for him last year and told me he was a super good guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom