2019 CT High School Preseason/Season Rankings | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2019 CT High School Preseason/Season Rankings

Reaction Score
The Courant poll differs quite a bit from the Gametime-Register poll, in that St Joe's is ranked at #2, right behind Hand. I'm not sold on Hand yet, given what they lost from last year, and with the SCC conference as a whole still going through some down years. Xavier, NDWH, West Haven, Prep, are not as competitive statewide as they were just a couple years ago. If Hand blows out Norwalk on 10-18, then I'll be a believer. Even after that Hand would have to get past New Canaan and St Joe's in the playoffs in order to run the table again.

Preseason polls are educated guesses as far as slotting... they both pretty much all have the same teams except for one having Windsor and the other having Sheehan. It’s a long season...

Reaction Score
Preseason polls are educated guesses as far as slotting... they both pretty much all have the same teams except for one having Windsor and the other having Sheehan. It’s a long season...
I think the two best teams in the state right now are Greenwich and St Joe's, followed by Hand and then New Canaan and Darien. What I'm hearing about St Joe's from some FCIAC people I know is that some believe that St Joe's might be even better than they were last year when they had David Summers. Their defense is better and the offensive line is improved. The new QB Wallace, is also a welcome surprise.

Reaction Score
With the Courant and GameTimeCT polls out - The Day's Top 10 Coaches' poll will debut next week following the upcoming Week 1 schedule.
Hand tops The Day's first state coaches' poll of 2019

Two-time Class L champion Hand (1-0) starts the year at No. 1 as it received 12 of 13 first-place votes.

The next four teams are from the FCIAC — in order, defending LL champion Greenwich (1-0), St. Joseph (1-0, the 2017 Class S and 2018 Class M champion), LL runner-up New Canaan (1-0) and Darien (1-0), the latter which won Class LL from 2015-17.

Southington (1-0), Shelton (1-0), Newtown (1-0), defending Class S champion Bloomfield (1-0) and Fairfield Prep (1-0) round out the Top 10.

Reaction Score
Hand tops The Day's first state coaches' poll of 2019

Two-time Class L champion Hand (1-0) starts the year at No. 1 as it received 12 of 13 first-place votes.

The next four teams are from the FCIAC — in order, defending LL champion Greenwich (1-0), St. Joseph (1-0, the 2017 Class S and 2018 Class M champion), LL runner-up New Canaan (1-0) and Darien (1-0), the latter which won Class LL from 2015-17.

Southington (1-0), Shelton (1-0), Newtown (1-0), defending Class S champion Bloomfield (1-0) and Fairfield Prep (1-0) round out the Top 10.
That Greenwich team from last year was one of the best teams in state history, along with Ludlowe 61, New Canaan 69, Bloomfield in the late 90's, Xavier 2011, Darien 2016 and 17, Trumbull 86, West Haven 68, Cheshire mid 90's, Fitch 1976, and Stratford High in the early 70's. I'm sure I'm forgetting some though.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I thought this was interesting when I saw it the other night... Conrad HS staff —> UConn connections:

Reaction Score
>>How The Courant’s state ranked high school football teams fared in Week 2 of the season.

1. HAND (2-0): defeated Middletown 55-6
2. GREENWICH (2-0): defeated Tumbull 42-7
3. NEW CANAAN (1-1): lost to Ridgefield 17-14
4. ST. JOSEPH (2-0): defeated Notre Dame-West Haven 42-7
5. DARIEN (2-0): defeated Southington 24-8
6. BLOOMFIELD (2-0): defeated East Catholic 47-6
7. SHELTON (2-0): defeated East Hartford 29-7
8. SOUTHINGTON (1-1): lost to Darien 24-8
9. SHEEHAN (2-0): defeated New Fairfield 56-32
10. NEWTOWN (2-0): defeated Fairfield Prep 21-14<<

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Hand vs. St. Joe's would be a heck of a game. The two best in the state IMHO

Reaction Score
I would flip St. Joe and Hand and replace Shelton with Cheshire.
I don't know about Cheshire being a top ten team, they recently won a very close game over FCIAC bottom dweller, Andrew Warde. The final was 35-20. They also lost to Hall. They played well and beat Shelton, however I think in a four game series Shelton wins 3 of those.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Can anyone tell me if Sheehan is considered a good team? I watched them against Brookfield a few weeks ago and they have a running back that has extra gears few HS kids do. Their 2nd and 3rd string backs were men amongst boys too. I caught the last few seconds of a local channel's story on 2 of their kids who survived a horrific car accident a few years ago that aired last weekend. Didn't see much but #27, who I felt was their 3rd back. was one of the kids in the accident and I remember him having track speed too. Their #1 back was #34 I think?

Brookfield is horrible this year but Sheehan seemed to be a team only missing a serviceable QB and some self control as far as penalties.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Can anyone tell me if Sheehan is considered a good team? I watched them against Brookfield a few weeks ago and they have a running back that has extra gears few HS kids do. Their 2nd and 3rd string backs were men amongst boys too. I caught the last few seconds of a local channel's story on 2 of their kids who survived a horrific car accident a few years ago that aired last weekend. Didn't see much but #27, who I felt was their 3rd back. was one of the kids in the accident and I remember him having track speed too. Their #1 back was #34 I think?

Brookfield is horrible this year but Sheehan seemed to be a team only missing a serviceable QB and some self control as far as penalties.
Sheehan is for real, they could go undefeated. That being said they don't play anyone in the top ten all season although Cheshire and Barlow should give them a game. Brookfield wouldn't be so bad if Henderson hadn't of left the team.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Sheehan is for real, they could go undefeated. That being said they don't play anyone in the top ten all season although Cheshire and Barlow should give them a game. Brookfield wouldn't be so bad if Henderson hadn't of left the team.

Henderson wouldn't have seen the field if he played at Sheehan.

I saw every game Nick played once he got to CT, JV included. Talented but not even close to #34.

Reaction Score
Henderson wouldn't have seen the field if he played at Sheehan.

I saw every game Nick played once he got to CT, JV included. Talented but not even close to #34.
Wow, really? Used to go to all the Brookfield games when my daughter was a cheerleader and Brookfield was beating almost everyone (Bobby Drysdale, Austin, Nick) but that's a few years ago. What are your thoughts on the coaching after Angarano? I also recall the Pop Warner participation in Brookfield being pretty good back then, which is not the case in a lot of towns now.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Wow, really? Used to go to all the Brookfield games when my daughter was a cheerleader and Brookfield was beating almost everyone (Bobby Drysdale, Austin, Nick) but that's a few years ago. What are your thoughts on the coaching after Angarano? I also recall the Pop Warner participation in Brookfield being pretty good back then, which is not the case in a lot of towns now.

Personally, I think they should have had a coaching search after Angarano retired instead of handing the keys to a long time assistant. Lets just say there are probably 7-8 kids who are Seniors that decided not to play this year after coming up for years through the Pop Warner and HS program.

Reaction Score
Personally, I think they should have had a coaching search after Angarano retired instead of handing the keys to a long time assistant. Lets just say there are probably 7-8 kids who are Seniors that decided not to play this year after coming up for years through the Pop Warner and HS program.
Wow, not good.

Reaction Score
The Day of New London Top 10 Football Coaches Poll (Week 6 - 10/15):
  1. Hand
  2. St. Joe’s
  3. Greenwich
  4. Darien
  5. Newtown
  6. Bloomfield
  7. Ridgefield
  8. Southington
  9. Ansonia