2019 Coaching Carousel -> Picking up speed. | Page 12 | The Boneyard

2019 Coaching Carousel -> Picking up speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Everyone is trying to improve except us. We are stuck with Edsall 2.0 on a 5 year plan. Wonder what DB will do when we don't improve in the 2 years. What will he and Edsall blame on then?

Reaction Score
Something that came out with FSU's recent hiring of Norvell...

FSU President Thrasher was asked how he overcame the fact that the President (and Seminole Booster's President and, maybe AD) were retiring soon.

When asked how the Seminoles alleviated Norvell's concerns, Thrasher said they explained in detail how committed the university is to athletics. They also pointed out that six or seven members of the school's Board of Trustees -- the group that will hire the next president -- have each donated more than $1 million of their own money to the FSU athletics department.

"They care about athletics," Thrasher said. "So they're going to find a president who cares about athletics down the road, whenever that happens."

Reaction Score
@billybud - you realize this is a UConn board, not an FSU board, right?...who cares about the donation contributions of the FSU BOT here?

This thread is about firing/hiring coaches. Not just UConn.

Some may find the reported fact interesting....How the donation fact and BOT interest in athletics was used to assure Norvell of stability.

Reaction Score
@billybud Who cares about the donation contributions of the FSU BOT here?
I think he's trying to highlight the extraordinary level of commitment to athletics from within FSU's BOT in contrast to ours. Those $$$ BOT donor folks in Tallahassee will have total control--- and whoever becomes the next FSU Prez better be fully committed to things other than academics!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I think he's trying to highlight the extraordinary level of commitment to athletics from within FSU's BOT in contrast to ours. Those $$$ BOT donor folks in Tallahassee will have total control--- and whoever becomes the next FSU Prez better be fully committed to things other than academics!

Snooze bar for me. These "facts" about the BOT/athletics and donations are totally a given in the south...like the sun rising tomorrow. Billybud attempts to highlight and contrast FSU is just plain odd to me on this board. There is no connection with UConn and FSU. If he came here highlighting Cuse or BC I would understand.

Reaction Score
I thnk that is right....from my reading of this board, I see posts of concern about administrative support of the football program...it is a contrast.

Coaches who succeed are a commodity.....and are not cheap. Associate coaches are equally mportant....like recruiting...you can find an undiscovered talent...or procure a recognized talent... but that does cost for proven associates.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
FSU is by far the best job on the list. They are in the weak ACC and they should be 1st or 2nd in the ACC Atlantic every year. They have 2 national championships in the past 20 years. If you want to win a national championship, FSU is one of the places you can do it and it is the only place on the list that you can. Yes, expectations are high, but they should be.

At Arkansas, expectations are way too high for a school in the SEC West. Are they a better program than LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Texas A&M? No, and they play them every year.

Finally, Missouri is a very tough job. Natural recruiting base is Texas, but they almost never play in Texas anymore. SEC East has been weak, but Florida seems to be back and Tennessee seems to be on an upward trajectory. They just fired their coach (an alum!) after 4 seasons after finishing 3rd, 4th, and 4th in the SEC East. You think they should be finishing higher than that on a consistent basis? That is high pressure.

Why did Jimbo leave after winning a title? He should have been King of Tallahassee for life. Don't say money, FSU has just as much as A&M. Fisher took a dead end, little brother job to get out. Why, if it's such a great job?

Reaction Score
Why did Jimbo leave after winning a title? He should have been King of Tallahassee for life. Don't say money, FSU has just as much as A&M. Fisher took a dead end, little brother job to get out. Why, if it's such a great job?

If you followed FSU...you'd know that Jimbo's agent kept floating Jimbo (LSU one time) and asking for more money...Jimbo was not getting along with the Administration or Seminole Boosters...when the Aggies came calling (and Jimbo was in a bad season), the administration said "bu bye".

Jimbo left for a $75 million buck paycheck over 10 years....He didn't leave for chump change...it is what Urban was getting at Ohio State.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
ESPN

"More than anything, however, Fisher simply wanted. He wanted something more in 2013 when Texas made overtures. He wanted something more in 2016 when LSU showed interest. He wanted more this season when it became clear he was Texas A&M's top target. And at some point, Florida State was simply tired of giving."

By then it was clear that there was no salvaging the relationship. Fisher had burned some already rickety bridges, and the prospect of a fresh start for both coach and school appeared the only logical end point.

Reaction Score
CSU has a lot of good names on their list. Wish UCONN would do the same

Reaction Score
Interesting read on possible 2:1 w/ Morris’ son and recruiting trip evaluation process from the player/Dad side.

Reaction Score
Arkansas fired Chad Morris in their worst season in 140 years of playing football....never before had a 2 win season.

An OC job at a top school is not a bad landing. I was surprised after Chad's experience at Clemson that he did not do better at Arkansas.

Reaction Score
Arkansas fired Chad Morris in their worst season in 140 years of playing football....never before had a 2 win season.

An OC job at a top school is not a bad landing. I was surprised after Chad's experience at Clemson that he did not do better at Arkansas.
He did ok at SMU too, but being in the same division as Alabama, Auburn and both Mississippi schools is a tough place to succeed

Reaction Score

>>Additionally, the staff salary pool for Scott’s staff begins at $3.5 million and gradually ascends to $3.7 million. By contrast, predecessor Charlie Strong’s salary pool started at $1.6 million, according to the offer of employment he signed in December 2016, and would’ve topped out at $3.4 million at the end of the deal.<<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom