2019 Coaching Carousel -> Picking up speed. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2019 Coaching Carousel -> Picking up speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No way he ever leaves Penn State unless asked to. That is special place to be a football coach; 100K+ fans every game, the recruitng advangtages, and he will be making $6M+ in 2022.
The stain on that program lingers for many. But he's an incredible coach, and if he continues on his trajectory he'll win a national championship, stay there until he retires, and sees his statue erected on campus.

He checks a lot of boxes as someone who would likely be a lifer there (assuming the success follows/continues).

Reaction Score
Why would Franklin leave? Penn State is a great job, but he is in the Big 10 East with Ohio St., Michigan, and Michigan St, and it is hard to even make it to the Big 10 Championship never mind the College Football Playoff. I would argue that Ohio St. has sustainable advantages over Penn St. and Michigan is comparable to Penn St. Penn St. has had the top rated Big 10 recruiting class 1 time in the last 10 years and Ohio St. has had the top class 8 times. By the way, Michigan and Ohio St. are #1 and #2 in all-time college football wins.

In the past 20 years, here who has won a national championship according to the NCAA:

Alabama - 5
Clemson - 2
Florida - 2
Florida St. - 2
LSU - 2
Ohio St. - 2
USC - 2
Auburn - 1
Oklahoma - 1
Miami - 1
Texas - 1

Realistically, this is the list of the potential national champions, although some may argue there are another 2 or 3 that could be added to the list.

In my opinion, USC is the top program in the Pac 12 South and the Pac 12. One of the best recruiting footprints and great tradition. Pretty easy to play for the Pac 12 championship almost every year.

Florida St. is another top job. They won a national championship as recently as 2013. Great recruiting footprint and great tradition. Only real challenge in the ACC is Clemson. Since FSU has joined the ACC, they have won or shared 15 championships and Clemson has won 5 including the last 4 years.

Reaction Score
Why would Franklin leave? Penn State is a great job, but he is in the Big 10 East with Ohio St., Michigan, and Michigan St, and it is hard to even make it to the Big 10 Championship never mind the College Football Playoff. I would argue that Ohio St. has sustainable advantages over Penn St. and Michigan is comparable to Penn St. Penn St. has had the top rated Big 10 recruiting class 1 time in the last 10 years and Ohio St. has had the top class 8 times. By the way, Michigan and Ohio St. are #1 and #2 in all-time college football wins.

In the past 20 years, here who has won a national championship according to the NCAA:

Alabama - 5
Clemson - 2
Florida - 2
Florida St. - 2
LSU - 2
Ohio St. - 2
USC - 2
Auburn - 1
Oklahoma - 1
Miami - 1
Texas - 1

Realistically, this is the list of the potential national champions, although some may argue there are another 2 or 3 that could be added to the list.

In my opinion, USC is the top program in the Pac 12 South and the Pac 12. One of the best recruiting footprints and great tradition. Pretty easy to play for the Pac 12 championship almost every year.

Florida St. is another top job. They won a national championship as recently as 2013. Great recruiting footprint and great tradition. Only real challenge in the ACC is Clemson. Since FSU has joined the ACC, they have won or shared 15 championships and Clemson has won 5 including the last 4 years.
It's probably an easier road at FSU, but he did win the BIG in 2016. Far more recently than Michigan (2004). I can't imagine a football guy from Pennsylvania looking at it through the lens you've taken. Even if your points are valid, there's an emotional component.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Rumor mill today is Sara Blakely, billionaire CEO and founder of Spanx, and FSU grad, stroked the check to get Taggart gone.

Reaction Score
Penn St will never make the playoff in the B1G. That’s why he’d leave.
Never, implying forever? Ideally, the latter’s a long period of time. As disdainful as Ped State’s leadership has been, it’s not entirely unreasonable to believe the school could run the B1G table and championship, then make it into and win the national championship some year forever.

Reaction Score

>>Multiple reports came out Monday that a deal with Stoops was very close and that the deal would be done in days. A morning radio talk show said Tuesday morning the deal would be done Thursday.<<

>>"Rumors we are close to an agreement with Bob Stoops are untrue," Coburn said. "We are on schedule to have someone in this position by end of the month... Chances of something happening this week are virtually zero." <<

>> What about Stoops’ much-rumored visit to Tallahassee Monday? That was news to Coburn. “He hasn’t been in town to meet with FSU,” Coburn said. Stoops also tweeted two photos Monday night from the Hard Rock Hotel in Hollywood, Fla.<<

Reaction Score
I’m hearing Bob Stoops is the favorite. Seems a strange choice to me but...

Reaction Score
I’m hearing Bob Stoops is the favorite. Seems a strange choice to me but...

All part of the dance but... Herbstreit: Bob Stoops denies candidacy for Florida State job

>>Herbstreit reported on Twitter that he spoke with the former Oklahoma Sooners coach Tuesday morning, and Stoops said “he’s not a candidate.” Herbstreit added that Stoops said, “I haven’t spoken to anyone.”

The report comes shortly after AD David Coburn told the Tallahassee Democrat that Stoops was a candidate. "He’s on the list, and he’s certainly somebody we would consider," Coburn said. "Rumors we are close to an agreement with Bob Stoops are untrue. We are on schedule to have someone in this position by end of the month... Chances of something happening this week are virtually zero."<<

Reaction Score
It's probably an easier road at FSU, but he did win the BIG in 2016. Far more recently than Michigan (2004). I can't imagine a football guy from Pennsylvania looking at it through the lens you've taken. Even if your points are valid, there's an emotional component.
He won the Big 10 in 2016, but Ohio St., a team Penn St. beat and is in their own division that did not play in the Big 10 Championship game, was selected for the College Football playoff. That would not happen to USC or FSU.

Head to head, Franklin at Penn St. is 2-4 against Michigan, 2-4 against Michigan St., and 1-4 against Ohio St, all three in their division. He is 5-12 against the big 3 in his division and 27-4 against the rest of the Big 10 in the regular season.

Although recruiting has picked up at Penn St., he still lags Ohio St. and Michigan. Also, look at USC and Florida State recruiting compared to Penn St. The last 5 years on the field, Penn St. has been in an upswing, but FSU and USC have been in a downswing. PSU's average recruiting ranking over the past 5 years: 13.4. USC? 8.0. FSU? 8.4. So, even when USC and FSU are struggling on the field, they still out recruit Penn St when they are performing well on the field.

Look, Penn St. is a great football program, but they play in the Big 10 East, the second hardest division in college football after the SEC West. Put Penn St. in the ACC Coastal and they are playing for the ACC championship almost every year and a shot at the CFP.

Franklin may decide to stay at Penn St, but winning a national championship would be easier at USC or FSU.

Reaction Score
He won the Big 10 in 2016, but Ohio St., a team Penn St. beat and is in their own division that did not play in the Big 10 Championship game, was selected for the College Football playoff. That would not happen to USC or FSU.

Head to head, Franklin at Penn St. is 2-4 against Michigan, 2-4 against Michigan St., and 1-4 against Ohio St, all three in their division. He is 5-12 against the big 3 in his division and 27-4 against the rest of the Big 10 in the regular season.

Although recruiting has picked up at Penn St., he still lags Ohio St. and Michigan. Also, look at USC and Florida State recruiting compared to Penn St. The last 5 years on the field, Penn St. has been in an upswing, but FSU and USC have been in a downswing. PSU's average recruiting ranking over the past 5 years: 13.4. USC? 8.0. FSU? 8.4. So, even when USC and FSU are struggling on the field, they still out recruit Penn St when they are performing well on the field.

Look, Penn St. is a great football program, but they play in the Big 10 East, the second hardest division in college football after the SEC West. Put Penn St. in the ACC Coastal and they are playing for the ACC championship almost every year and a shot at the CFP.

Franklin may decide to stay at Penn St, but winning a national championship would be easier at USC or FSU.
Again, i'm not arguing that he doesn't have a harder road to the championship at PSU.

Just reminding you that he's FROM Pennsylvania. Coaching PSU for a PA native is a huge deal. Massive. All of your arguments may be totally irrelevant to him.

(And throw the recruiting rankings out the windows, those guys don't look at rankings and say "Damnit, FSU looks awful on the field, but they are really outrecruiting us on paper!")

Reaction Score
Again, i'm not arguing that he doesn't have a harder road to the championship at PSU.

Just reminding you that he's FROM Pennsylvania. Coaching PSU for a PA native is a huge deal. Massive. All of your arguments may be totally irrelevant to him.

(And throw the recruiting rankings out the windows, those guys don't look at rankings and say "Damnit, FSU looks awful on the field, but they are really outrecruiting us on paper!")
I hear you about a Pennsylvania kid wanting to coach PSU. BTW, his wife is a west coaster (from Washington and graduated from Washington St.)

Reaction Score
He is 11th in the league and paid $3.6mm. And now gets a big raise. At Minnesota.

Meanwhile....Edsall has to give up part of his $1mm salary to keep assistants.

Sigh.

Reportedly now 22nd nationally, seventh in the Big Ten.

Reaction Score

>>Hobbs and Greg Brown, the men conducting this coaching search, are backed into a corner. If they say no to Schiano, they’ll turn to former Tennessee and Cincinnati coach Butch Jones. That sort of feels like teasing your kids about a two-week vacation in Maui and instead delivering a weekend in Pittsburgh.<<

Reaction Score
>>If (Rutgals says) no to Schisno, they’ll turn to former Tennessee and Cincinnati coach Butch Jones. That sort of feels like teasing your kids about a two-week vacation in Maui and instead delivering a weekend in Pittsburgh.<<
So, the writer’s suggesting Schiano’s > Jones? One knows Jersey, one knows the B1G Midwest, one has barely a .500 college record and losing NFL record, one has experienced more overall college coaching career success. Hmmm ...

Reaction Score
I'm a UT fan for a LONG time and Butch Jones can coach, but lord he was not the right fit culturally for Tennessee. Never mind that athletic department is a bigger cluster that UConn.

If you believe that as a team or a coach you are what your record says you are, then Jones is exponentially better than Schiano. While he'd not have the Jersey roots of Schiano, I'd take Jones in a hot second over him. Hell he took the Vols to a 2nd place finish in the SEC East twice in 5 years - that UT and the fan base wanted to send him packing is more an indictment of those two groups. A quick wiki search shows that he's 30 games over .500 for his career that is not shabby.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I'm a UT fan for a LONG time and Butch Jones can coach, but lord he was not the right fit culturally for Tennessee. Never mind that athletic department is a bigger cluster that UConn.

If you believe that as a team or a coach you are what your record says you are, then Jones is exponentially better than Schiano. While he'd not have the Jersey roots of Schiano, I'd take Jones in a hot second over him. Hell he took the Vols to a 2nd place finish in the SEC East twice in 5 years - that UT and the fan base wanted to send him packing is more an indictment of those two groups. A quick wiki search shows that he's 30 games over .500 for his career that is not shabby.
Agreed. I wish Jones was at UConn.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
If I was Schiano I would ask for the moon as well. They need him more than he needs Rutgers. If I was him i would ask for $40 million for ten years and total control of everything.

Reaction Score
If I was Schiano I would ask for the moon as well. They need him more than he needs Rutgers. If I was him i would ask for $40 million for ten years and total control of everything.
Who is giving Schiano a P5 job? Tennessee tried to hire him and the fanbase revolted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom