2019 Coaching Carousel -> Picking up speed. | Page 13 | The Boneyard

2019 Coaching Carousel -> Picking up speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

>>Additionally, the staff salary pool for Scott’s staff begins at $3.5 million and gradually ascends to $3.7 million. By contrast, predecessor Charlie Strong’s salary pool started at $1.6 million, according to the offer of employment he signed in December 2016, and would’ve topped out at $3.4 million at the end of the deal.<<

I don't get it. How is a third rate USF able to afford these salaries for FB, but a wealthy state university like UConn has to pinch pennies? Are the state finances that much better in FL than CT? Same thing with Colorado St. How are they able to attract a list of interested candidates like that? Meanwhile UConn has to choose between Edsell or a sack of potatoes apparently.

Reaction Score
I don't get it. How is a third rate USF able to afford these salaries for FB, but a wealthy state university like UConn has to pinch pennies? Are the state finances that much better in FL than CT? Same thing with Colorado St. How are they able to attract a list of interested candidates like that? Meanwhile UConn has to choose between Edsell or a sack of potatoes apparently.

Has nothing to do w/ state finances per se... it has to do w/ robust fundraising and boosters. Goggle the USF Foundation relationship w/ USF Football (its shielded from public record requests).

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

There's plenty enough money and alumni. And for a coach, you can get a bunch of talent now that Miami and FSU have fallen back a bit.

Reaction Score
It is fan and alumni support for football....USF, UCF, U of Florida, and FSU all have incorporated booster organizations as direct support organizations to the athletic department.

And these organizations raise millions...

Reaction Score
Although it PO'd several UConn guys...I pointed out that FSU's President told the incoming Coach Norvell, that football would be supported no matter who was President...after all, 6 or 7 of the FSU Board has personally contributed $ 1 million or more to athletics.

The contrast between some schools and the money that they have available from boosters and the money available to other schools with less football interest can be stark.

And that can be aggravated by the differences in media money being received.

Reaction Score

You know ... Taxpayers aren't paying coaches at either school. This is about revenue sources that includes deep pocket donors, stadium & concession, TV rights, etc.

Watch what happens when that kind of question is asked on Twitter or other social media to UCF or USF ... and you get instant noise about the Foundation. We had our UCONN 2000 & UCONN 2010 surge based on Hoop NCs. We aren't bereft of this happening here. But ...

Reaction Score
@Pudge...yes.

Fans need motivation to give money. Even in an awful season, fans can be motivated by building towards a better time.

I would expect that UConn's move to independent status might provide motivation to contribute to a football renaissance campaign.

It is a strategy being used at FSU.

Firing Taggart is expensive...so FSU is pulling out all stops to have a football "renaissance" funding drive...

FSU president John Thrasher wrote a letter asking Seminoles Boosters for financial support.

“Today, if you are able, I ask that you increase your annual booster commitment, please consider a one-time 20 percent increase and encourage your family and friends to join Seminole Boosters today,” the letter dated Nov. 20 read. “I truly believe every Seminole can make a difference in this effort.”

Early reports are good from Seminole Boosters.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
The reports are that Mississippi players are in a near insurrection...

That was 10 days ago... they’ve settled down w/ Kiffin on board and a bunch of kids have pulled names from Transfer Portal.

Reaction Score
Yeah....a new coach can do that....

Am seeing that after Norvell talked with players.

Reaction Score
More and more coaches are negotiating hard on the salary pool for their assistants....
This is not new. It was the reason Narduzzi didn't want to come here.

Reaction Score
No...not new...but I think that more emphasis is put on the whole package than once was.

And... proven assistants are being valued more than they once were...$2.5 million for LSU's DC, Bama has a couple over
$ 1 million...Clemson pays $2 million for Venables, and A&M $2.1 million for their DC.

Reaction Score
No...not new...but I think that more emphasis is put on the whole package than once was.

And... proven assistants are being valued more than they once were...$2.5 million for LSU's DC, Bama has a couple over
$ 1 million...Clemson pays $2 million for Venables, and A&M $2.1 million for their DC.
P5 TV money was a game changer.

Reaction Score
Addazio to CSU? What in the world does he bring to them. My god, the FL -CSU connection lives on.

good luck with Anyone at Arkansas - you only have bama, auburn, LSU, Tx A&M and the Miss’ in your division of the SEC.

And willie T seems to be going the wrong way - Oregon -> USF -> FAU. What’s next UConn?

Reaction Score
Addazio to CSU? What in the world does he bring to them. My god, the FL -CSU connection lives on.

good luck with Anyone at Arkansas - you only have bama, auburn, LSU, Tx A&M and the Miss’ in your division of the SEC.

And willie T seems to be going the wrong way - Oregon -> USF -> FAU. What’s next UConn?

You obviously haven’t been paying attention to what Kiffin did at FAU and what he parlayed that in to. FAU is set up to be good for a while

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

Actually....USF->Oregon->FSU-> FAU

This is his first step back.

Now Charlie strong has gone backward...UL->UT->USF->Unemployed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members