2019 AAC Football Media Days - July 15th/16th in Newport RI | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2019 AAC Football Media Days - July 15th/16th in Newport RI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Money isn’t debatable.
Once you grip the Term - Production Costs - you see that this is a Gross versus Net play.

Let me itemize: AAC is $6.94m per school. The ACC schools that confronted Production Cost spend millions. AAC won’t be near that. But you’re talking a NET number several million less. Say $5m. And I think that’s rounding up.

The Fox BE contract pays $5m per school for 10 years - runs another 5 years (I think - might be 4).

Composition Clause. The BE contract will be opened up & renegotiated with the UCONN inclusion. Same with AAC - they will be going down. BE will be going up.

What’s not in there? Variance of Travel Costs. UCONN Football Revenue - rights (SNY or other). Women’s BB premiums.

Then. We don’t get AAC Bowl revenue & we do get more MM basketball points revenue.

There’s more money joining the BE. I’m going to estimate $5m per annum.

One. We grab back our Base. And RE energized our Fanbase. Two. I think this thing turned when Aresco didn’t get $10-14m per school. And ignored the WBB value.

Then. If you’re a UConn sports fan - and not just a Connecticut curmudgeon - you have to believe we can compete for more National Championships in MBB. The Platform is far better at the BE

I was sad the day I became aware we were leaving AAC. I’m not anymore.
You forgot the $10 Million exit fee plus the the $2.5 Million NBE entry fee. It’s not even close. We traded down for conference rev share no matter how it’s sliced. The admin is now letting these pesky details out and admitting we will be in a bigger hole for years, but it’s an “investment”.., in what? Being a basketball school? You saw what all those BB championships got us in CR: zero. But, the geniuses double down as if suddenly it will transform things.

Reaction Score
Sadly, we have a collective mentality among most of our fanbase, even some of those who support all sports, not just BB, that the sport James Naismith invented still means something in major collegiate athletics. It doesn't. It hasn't since the presidents took over the NCAA, the CFA was formed in the early 1990's, and college football started making zillions for the Michigans, USC's and Alabamas of the college sports world.

Each year we weren't a member of the CFA and later the BCS club put us further behind the major powers. When we finally woke up in the late 1990's and did sonething about it, maybe it was already too late.

John Toner envisioned us being a IA football program when he was the architect of splitting Division I into two levels, IA and IAA, in 1978. It took another 26 years to make that dream into a reality. We missed the opportunity to be in a CFA and later BCS conference for more than half of the 28 years those associations existed. Even if we had joined the BCS by the late 1990's (we had an open Big East invite for many years), things might have been dramatically different for us when conference realignment came and went.

If Tranghese and Marinatto had ever come to terms with the notion that their precious catholic schools were riding in a tiny little red wagon being pulled by the locomotive called the BCS toward the 21st Century, maybe they wouldn't have been as asleep at the wheel while they watched their precious BB conference torn to pieces, thanks to their indecisiveness.

Without dwelling on the mistakes of the past, the simple reality of the present is this: you can argue the economics of exit fees, TV payouts, streaming video production costs, NCAA shares, bowl revenue shares, travel costs, etc. until you're blue in the face, but we have just condemned our athletic program to permanent second tier status forever, barring a miracle greater than Moses parting of the Red Sea.

Also, don't forget that the AAC is by far the best G5 conference in the country. It stands a chance at becoming the one G5 league worthy of inclusion as a possible CFP worthy player if the playoff expands to eight teams in the near future.

Ask yourself this question. In future years, if the AAC produces a national champion in football or basketball, how will it make you feel?

We chose to step back in time for purely nostalgic, parochial and provincial, not practical reasons, and to seal our fate as a second tier player in collegiate athletics, likely forever. Think about that for one minute. A school with the most combined BB championships in NCAA DI basketball history vs. the Dukes, Kentuckys, UNC's and UCLA's of the world, has voluntarily chosen a path which will likely lead to permanent second tier status in collegiate athletics.

We have hitched our wagon to CBB, an irrelevant sport that will take us nowhere, just so our basketball only fans can feel good about beating Providence, St. John's and Seton Hall again. Oh yeah, I almost forgot. We've also killed the only sport that matters in college sports, a sport UCONN has played since 1896, five years longer than basketball. Anybody interested in buying a slightly used 40,000 seat stadium in E. Hartford, CT?
We left a league that wasn’t working for football or basketball. Staying in the AAC would’ve been disastrous for both sports.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The move is driven by many factors, but notably:

-to reverse declining ticket sales and waning interest in a big way. Frankly the pressure is on now for fans to return to BB games.
-to avoid locking into a 12 year media contract that really isn’t much better, if at all better than what we can do on our own.
-to avoid locking into a 12 year media contract that could bury our prized WBB behind a paywall as well as MBB. We have a national brand, could erode severally if most of our content becomes invisible. Too risky for little or no gain over the BE option and independent football.
-for football - to put us in a place that is more interesting for the fans and maybe gives us a better chance to get back to winning. There is inherent risk in this front.

C

Chief00

Sadly, we have a collective mentality among most of our fanbase, even some of those who support all sports, not just BB, that the sport James Naismith invented still means something in major collegiate athletics. It doesn't. It hasn't since the presidents took over the NCAA, the CFA was formed in the early 1990's, and college football started making zillions for the Michigans, USC's and Alabamas of the college sports world.

Each year we weren't a member of the CFA and later the BCS club put us further behind the major powers. When we finally woke up in the late 1990's and did sonething about it, maybe it was already too late.

John Toner envisioned us being a IA football program when he was the architect of splitting Division I into two levels, IA and IAA, in 1978. It took another 26 years to make that dream into a reality. We missed the opportunity to be in a CFA and later BCS conference for more than half of the 28 years those associations existed. Even if we had joined the BCS by the late 1990's (we had an open Big East invite for many years), things might have been dramatically different for us when conference realignment came and went.

If Tranghese and Marinatto had ever come to terms with the notion that their precious catholic schools were riding in a tiny little red wagon being pulled by the locomotive called the BCS toward the 21st Century, maybe they wouldn't have been as asleep at the wheel while they watched their precious BB conference torn to pieces, thanks to their indecisiveness.

Without dwelling on the mistakes of the past, the simple reality of the present is this: you can argue the economics of exit fees, TV payouts, streaming video production costs, NCAA shares, bowl revenue shares, travel costs, etc. until you're blue in the face, but we have just condemned our athletic program to permanent second tier status forever, barring a miracle greater than Moses parting of the Red Sea.

Also, don't forget that the AAC is by far the best G5 conference in the country. It stands a chance at becoming the one G5 league worthy of inclusion as a possible CFP worthy player if the playoff expands to eight teams in the near future.

Ask yourself this question. In future years, if the AAC produces a national champion in football or basketball, how will it make you feel?

We chose to step back in time for purely nostalgic, parochial and provincial, not practical reasons, and to seal our fate as a second tier player in collegiate athletics, likely forever. Think about that for one minute. A school with the most combined BB championships in NCAA DI basketball history vs. the Dukes, Kentuckys, UNC's and UCLA's of the world, has voluntarily chosen a path which will likely lead to permanent second tier status in collegiate athletics.

We have hitched our wagon to CBB, an irrelevant sport that will take us nowhere, just so our basketball only fans can feel good about beating Providence, St. John's and Seton Hall again. Oh yeah, I almost forgot. We've also killed the only sport that matters in college sports, a sport UCONN has played since 1896, five years longer than basketball. Anybody interested in buying a slightly used 40,000 seat stadium in E. Hartford, CT?
Some good points in the long view.

C

Chief00

We left a league that wasn’t working for football or basketball. Staying in the AAC would’ve been disastrous for both sports.
It only wasn’t working for football because we were failing to compete. The league overall had an amazing football trajectory.
Basketball - we will see what Penny dies with talent? Houston is transforming under a very good coach.

Reaction Score
It only wasn’t working for football because we were failing to compete. The league overall had an amazing football trajectory.
Basketball - we will see what Penny dies with talent? Houston is transforming under a very good coach.

Love ya Chief, but the AAC was a disaster for all sports. Tell me more about the AAC CFP record and deep MBB tourney runs...

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Maybe for basketball.

If Temple can succeed in football, UConn can too.

As for basketball in the AAC, it might have made a big, positive difference if our head coach hadn't decided to go ROAD on us (Retired On Active Duty).

Reaction Score
As for basketball in the AAC, it might have made a big, positive difference if our head coach hadn't decided to go ROAD on us (Retired On Active Duty).

You’re very tiresome

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I will be rooting for Peart, Magliozzi etal to pull a Belushi and make it a Clambake to remember.

giphy.gif

If I am a UConn player I am subjecting each and everyone of my lobsters to a long and through sniff test.

Reaction Score

I think UConn would certainly feel differently about the AAC if the UConn football team had won 16 straight conference games and been to two big bowls like UCF.

If UConn basketball under Hurley could grow to provide a fight with Houston, Cincinnati, UCF, Memphis....the AAC had the potential to become quite a basketball conference.

But with football at its lowest ebb and basketball falling off....the lure of a return to the Big East, and the securing of the UConn basketball brand, was a very strong pull.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
You forgot the $10 Million exit fee plus the the $2.5 Million NBE entry fee. It’s not even close. We traded down for conference rev share no matter how it’s sliced. The admin is now letting these pesky details out and admitting we will be in a bigger hole for years, but it’s an “investment”.., in what? Being a basketball school? You saw what all those BB championships got us in CR: zero. But, the geniuses double down as if suddenly it will transform things.

You have any concept of time value of money? Google that for me, and then check the AAC tv deal.

Reaction Score
Whatever conference we are in, we need to compete on the field or court. That’s solely on us and no one else.

What’s your gut say ...

Flying to play Houston on a Sunday ... turn around to go to class. Then flying out to play Tulsa on that Thursday. Men’s & Women’s.

With 5 solid programs from DC to Providence, Pure neighborhood games make a big difference to Students, Fans, Athletes.

Then the Money P&L is better.

Temple has risen its profile via Football (who knows how 5 coaches in 10 years gives you culture). Memphis too. UCF & USF. Ok I see. UConn with any style of culture is a Development Project. We know we could do it. But I don’t see the pathway to P5. And the P5 sees the UCF etc as more risk adverse grab.

Reaction Score
Being a basketball school? You saw what all those BB championships got us in CR: zero. But, the geniuses double down as if suddenly it will transform things.

Then we're screwed regardless, and protecting basketball until everything falls apart was the right call.

If the p5 dream ever happens, its not going to be BECAUSE of football. As far as the sports factors it will be because of our powerhouse basketball programs and a football program that is "good enough." You're right, way things look now doesn't look like it will happen. But its definitely not going to happen if the basketball program is merely average or below, even if we could improve the football program to the level of a Temple.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Tack on a few more $mil on the exit fee for early release and another $mil on the entrance fee ($3.5m).
In my pea brain we shouldn't have to pay an entrance fee since our National Championship winning field hockey team is already in the BE (as an associate member), which means we're already kind of in the BE. We should at least get a reduced rate. The Lady Huskies won 3 NCs as an associate wearing the BE logo.
I'm just working any possible angle to save money.

Reaction Score

Amortize it over life of both contracts. I didn’t forget anything.

C

Chief00

What’s your gut say ...

Flying to play Houston on a Sunday ... turn around to go to class. Then flying out to play Tulsa on that Thursday. Men’s & Women’s.

With 5 solid programs from DC to Providence, Pure neighborhood games make a big difference to Students, Fans, Athletes.

Then the Money P&L is better.

Temple has risen its profile via Football (who knows how 5 coaches in 10 years gives you culture). Memphis too. UCF & USF. Ok I see. UConn with any style of culture is a Development Project. We know we could do it. But I don’t see the pathway to P5. And the P5 sees the UCF etc as more risk adverse grab.

The analytics people in professional sports have all kinds of travel scenarios and their wins and loses. Sure, I agree, these are all variables in the mix but pro or college what it boils down to is finding ways to win games.
The best teams love the road and silencing their opponents building.
And sometimes, getting stuck in Tri State traffic is worse than flying to Dallas.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Tack on a few more $mil on the exit fee for early release and another $mil on the entrance fee ($3.5m).
Yes and no. We've already paid $2.5M and Not Mad is holding another $5M in escrow.

Reaction Score
Then we're screwed regardless, and protecting basketball until everything falls apart was the right call.

If the p5 dream ever happens, its not going to be BECAUSE of football. As far as the sports factors it will be because of our powerhouse basketball programs and a football program that is "good enough." You're right, way things look now doesn't look like it will happen. But its definitely not going to happen if the basketball program is merely average or below, even if we could improve the football program to the level of a Temple.

This wasn't always the case, but right now our odds are probably the same under the current path or maybe better. If we can put together some interesting games and become reasonably successful on the football side, they increase because we'll have gotten the conference divorce out of the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom