2019 AAC Football Media Days - July 15th/16th in Newport RI | Page 6 | The Boneyard

2019 AAC Football Media Days - July 15th/16th in Newport RI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

I have to ask, does the media weight votes by position they think they will finish? How do you get 30 votes, by default of being picked last and getting 1 vote 30 times? ie weighting

Reaction Score
Plus Pudge I have to say your numbers are sort of suspect. Maybe it’s $5 mil net but that is for “tv media rights”. You can’t ignore bowl money and even if you call basketball units a push it is probably closer to the original 7 million than 5. And the NBE is in the middle of a 12 year deal at maybe $3 mill though I’ve heard it is closer to 2.5 somewhere too. So long term deals are closer to the norm than the exception. There is hope that adding UConn will add another $500000/school though there was hope the AAC deal would be 10 so who knows. Add the value of lost exposure, FS1 games draw friends and family, and this situation is about selling out the athletic PROGRAM to satisfy the nostalgic urging of the basketball only crowd most of whom resented that UConn has another team that competed with hoops for attention and resources. I honestly never saw such a thing at ANY other university. It is even present inside the UConn athletic department. And if hockey is successful my hunch is the same crowd will do its damndest to undermine that team too.

Reaction Score
Flipping ESPN dude didn't even do enough research to know Marvin Washington was off the roster. Unreal.

Reaction Score
Suzy got us here and she bails, UConn is just a former employer to her. This tact is marginally ok with me (now that we are where we are) and kind of poetic justice for "my way or the highway" HCRE2.0 with UConn sticking it too him again.

I remember a while back seeing that UConn girls volleyball was playing at Tulane and was going to go see but something else came up. Funny that part of the discussion with my wife was "boy that must cost a pretty penny to send the team here (not cheap here), pay for rooms etc., there are quite a few players and coaches and managers to pay for". Seems I was correct and it was too much money.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
every region in America is unique and wonderful in its own way, including new england. it must be weird for all the AAC folks to be enjoying a marvelous summer day in newport, knowing full well that the AAC in new england is over. im pretty sure they're sad, too.

Reaction Score
every region in America is unique and wonderful in its own way, including new england. it must be weird for all the AAC folks to be enjoying a marvelous summer day in newport, knowing full well that the AAC in new england is over. im pretty sure they're sad, too.

Aresco said media day will be back in newport next year. Heavy hitters attend this event because it's the best media day in the country. Sat at table with Eric Poms, CEO of orange bowl, said he makes it a point to go to AAC media day over the SEC cause no other conference can compete with newport.

Reaction Score
Easy to crop...

Looks like Randy is sporting Cousin Eddie’s white loafers.

Reaction Score
Some schools distribute depth charts & rosters to media. Hmmm

Perusing a few. Suddenly. Some of these Offensive lines have gotten gigantic. Look at USF

Reaction Score
Aresco said media day will be back in newport next year. Heavy hitters attend this event because it's the best media day in the country. Sat at table with Eric Poms, CEO of orange bowl, said he makes it a point to go to AAC media day over the SEC cause no other conference can compete with newport.

... and who pays to bring him up to enjoy a lovely weekend in NE?

Reaction Score
Can you highlight the main points for us non-subscribers?

On Feb. 24 of this year . . . UC Athletic Director Mike Bohn wrote a letter to Aresco on behalf of the AAC Finance Committee and Television Committee, which also included Patrick Kraft of Temple and Danny White of UCF. . . laid out two specific points of contention with the then unfinalized agreement with ESPN. The first was “the assignment of production costs associated with increased ESPN+ digital streaming content.” The second was “a model of media rights payouts that includes a merit-based distribution component,” which Aresco has since stated is not something he felt was in the league’s best interest. In the letter, Bohn also stressed that “in addition to consulting with the presidents of our member institutions, we believe it is also important in your role as commissioner to engage our conference’s athletic directors directly prior to any official votes, especially on subjects that would benefit greatly from our expertise and input, such as the budgeting and operational requirements of the agreement.”

In Aresco’s response to Bohn two days later . . .“Please be assured that the internal items you mention should and will be discussed with the athletic directors. However, these matters can be addressed after the ESPN negotiation is completed and should not slow down that process. We have good reason to want to conclude the ESPN negotiation and announce a new deal as soon as possible. Neither of the items you reference has an impact on whether we accept and conclude the ESPN deal that is on the table. As I mentioned, these are matters we can take up later because the new deal will not start until 2020-21 and we will have no ESPN+ obligations until then. We will have ample time to discuss them.”

That time still exists, but at least some degree of a plan is in place regarding the ESPN+ productions. “Whatever football is on ESPN+, we’ll produce through the conference. It won’t have a huge effect on allocations from distribution. We’re going to do that internally,” Aresco told The Athletic. “(The member schools are) likely to be responsible for their men’s and women’s basketball on ESPN+, but it’s a marginal cost relative to what they’re getting in rights fees. It’s a fraction. We’re getting more, and that factored in the cost of what we’re doing.”

Just how marginal the cost, and how steady and manageable it remains through the life of the deal, is still unknown.

I cut up some of it and there's a lot more, but this an excerpt of the relevant points.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Easy to crop...

I'm not sure how Holgorsen is managing to remain standing in that wind. I see they put two big coaches on either side of him to help keep him from blowing over.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
“(The member schools are) likely to be responsible for their men’s and women’s basketball on ESPN+, but it’s a marginal cost relative to what they’re getting in rights fees. It’s a fraction. We’re getting more, and that factored in the cost of what we’re doing.”

What Mike Aresco (Not Mad) didn't say was that fraction was 2/7.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Plus Pudge I have to say your numbers are sort of suspect. Maybe it’s $5 mil net but that is for “tv media rights”. You can’t ignore bowl money and even if you call basketball units a push it is probably closer to the original 7 million than 5. And the NBE is in the middle of a 12 year deal at maybe $3 mill though I’ve heard it is closer to 2.5 somewhere too. So long term deals are closer to the norm than the exception. There is hope that adding UConn will add another $500000/school though there was hope the AAC deal would be 10 so who knows. Add the value of lost exposure, FS1 games draw friends and family, and this situation is about selling out the athletic PROGRAM to satisfy the nostalgic urging of the basketball only crowd most of whom resented that UConn has another team that competed with hoops for attention and resources. I honestly never saw such a thing at ANY other university. It is even present inside the UConn athletic department. And if hockey is successful my hunch is the same crowd will do its damndest to undermine that team too.

We are officially America's most self-destructive fanbase. What I'm going to be interested in seeing is how the politicians plan to explain to the taxpayers why they spent their money for a 90 million dollar white elephant on an old runway in E. Hartford.

Reaction Score
On Feb. 24 of this year . . . UC Athletic Director Mike Bohn wrote a letter to Aresco on behalf of the AAC Finance Committee and Television Committee, which also included Patrick Kraft of Temple and Danny White of UCF. . . laid out two specific points of contention with the then unfinalized agreement with ESPN. The first was “the assignment of production costs associated with increased ESPN+ digital streaming content.” The second was “a model of media rights payouts that includes a merit-based distribution component,” which Aresco has since stated is not something he felt was in the league’s best interest. In the letter, Bohn also stressed that “in addition to consulting with the presidents of our member institutions, we believe it is also important in your role as commissioner to engage our conference’s athletic directors directly prior to any official votes, especially on subjects that would benefit greatly from our expertise and input, such as the budgeting and operational requirements of the agreement.”

In Aresco’s response to Bohn two days later . . .“Please be assured that the internal items you mention should and will be discussed with the athletic directors. However, these matters can be addressed after the ESPN negotiation is completed and should not slow down that process. We have good reason to want to conclude the ESPN negotiation and announce a new deal as soon as possible. Neither of the items you reference has an impact on whether we accept and conclude the ESPN deal that is on the table. As I mentioned, these are matters we can take up later because the new deal will not start until 2020-21 and we will have no ESPN+ obligations until then. We will have ample time to discuss them.”

That time still exists, but at least some degree of a plan is in place regarding the ESPN+ productions. “Whatever football is on ESPN+, we’ll produce through the conference. It won’t have a huge effect on allocations from distribution. We’re going to do that internally,” Aresco told The Athletic. “(The member schools are) likely to be responsible for their men’s and women’s basketball on ESPN+, but it’s a marginal cost relative to what they’re getting in rights fees. It’s a fraction. We’re getting more, and that factored in the cost of what we’re doing.”

Just how marginal the cost, and how steady and manageable it remains through the life of the deal, is still unknown.

I cut up some of it and there's a lot more, but this an excerpt of the relevant points.
He will discuss it with the ADs after the deal is done? Talk about a big F U to the ADs. I'm the Commish and even though you employ me, it is my responsibility. No wonder UConn was so upset. They weren't brought along with the negotiation until after...and after the valuable tier 3s were gifted to ESPN. We've been asking if Aresco (not mad) was mad that UConn left. He has no right to be if this is the process that actually played out..he made his bed

Last edited:
Reaction Score

You’re wrong

The Big East rights deal isn’t hard to find. I think I read it on a Georgetown site - Paul Tagliabue was instrumental in getting it done. It’s not 12 ... it was 10; my thought is that they are 6 years into a 10 year agreement - but it might be 5. The number per school was absolutely closer to $5m than you conjured up $3m.

The point: They just gained a major name for Fox. All noise says that Fox has been happy with the deal & product. One can easily buy the notion that the BE Deal Composition Clause leads to a number greater than $5m for us. And if you really are in age of New Longterm ... the rejigger of the deal starts in a Year at a higher number for another 10. Personally, in this environment, I’d opine that we should be doing 5 year with an option for us.

The News of the last 4 months? AAC was only $7m. That’s all the market would bear. And then the plug of Production Cost is scary. And - as noted by the SD State AD - 13 years before a new revenue number in a rising inflationary cost sports industry is nuts.

As usual ... it’s your presentation that is suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom