2019 AAC Football Media Days - July 15th/16th in Newport RI | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2019 AAC Football Media Days - July 15th/16th in Newport RI

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If you could do Math, you’d gather that UConn is going to make more money leaving the AAC than your University.

That our move to the BIG EAST is universally lauded by the folks that matter to us - Basketball writers. The Fanbase is energized. The best you can do is whine about some Catholic Church subconscious anger you were taught.

We will have poorer November football schedules & our baseball won’t be as challenged. But the UConn AD will have more National Championships. And Fans we wouldn’t have playing y’all.

POSTSCRIPT- the Big East is 5 years in on a 10 year deal that will be RE-negotiated with UConn’s inclusion. We will be on TV in New York City not bumfrick Tennessee

Pudge, I agree and understand that the NBE is more attractive to basketball fans and the travel is cut down
BUT it leaves the baseball team and football team (especially) in a worse situation
Your assumption of more NCs is light years beyond speculative with field hockey and womens basketball the only programs close to a sniff - and they could do that anyway, anywhere (WFH is already in the NBE)
NYC saw plenty of UConn basketball while in the AAC
The money situation is still debatable as is the entry date- if UConn has to stay in the AAC for 2-3 more years it won't be pretty
Basketball writers?????????????? Would they say anything different? and they aren't the only ones that matter to a lot of folks - maybe the basketball only fans.
I am an all sports UConn fan and like the OBE brand of basketball which is so very much different from what the NBE is offering now. It's the name that attracts folks and sometimes there is a lot more to life than a name
I am not unhappy that UConn is playing in a basketball league outside the AAC but the NBE is not the answer, as far as I am concerned, for the athletic department as a whole.
It satisfies 3 coaches - DH, Geno (who, again, should win in any league) and Ray Reid but there are others that Suzie Q and DB the db ignored
UConn is not a basketball only school, in my mind.
I get your angle but again it's spoken on a purely basketball only basis. To each their own.

C

Chief00

Have to imagine there's no reason to be in Newport at all anymore for the AAC. Not that UConn was what held them here. Why keep the old BE offices and Media grounds when the conference, outside Temple and Cincy, is in the South. Move it somewhere down there.

I always thought it was weird that they kept it in Newport like to old BE did. Now there's zero reason to do it seeing how they have lost their major school in the north
My understanding is it’s staying there.

Reaction Score
Pudge, I agree and understand that the NBE is more attractive to basketball fans and the travel is cut down
BUT it leaves the baseball team and football team (especially) in a worse situation
Your assumption of more NCs is light years beyond speculative with field hockey and womens basketball the only programs close to a sniff - and they could do that anyway, anywhere (WFH is already in the NBE)
NYC saw plenty of UConn basketball while in the AAC
The money situation is still debatable as is the entry date- if UConn has to stay in the AAC for 2-3 more years it won't be pretty
Basketball writers?????????????? Would they say anything different? and they aren't the only ones that matter to a lot of folks - maybe the basketball only fans.
I am an all sports UConn fan and like the OBE brand of basketball which is so very much different from what the NBE is offering now. It's the name that attracts folks and sometimes there is a lot more to life than a name
I am not unhappy that UConn is playing in a basketball league outside the AAC but the NBE is not the answer, as far as I am concerned, for the athletic department as a whole.
It satisfies 3 coaches - Dan Hurley, Geno (who, again, should win in any league) and Ray Reid but there are others that Suzie Q and DB the db ignored
UConn is not a basketball only school, in my mind.
I get your angle but again it's spoken on a purely basketball only basis. To each their own.

The Money isn’t debatable.
Once you grip the Term - Production Costs - you see that this is a Gross versus Net play.

Let me itemize: AAC is $6.94m per school. The ACC schools that confronted Production Cost spend millions. AAC won’t be near that. But you’re talking a NET number several million less. Say $5m. And I think that’s rounding up.

The Fox BE contract pays $5m per school for 10 years - runs another 5 years (I think - might be 4).

Composition Clause. The BE contract will be opened up & renegotiated with the UCONN inclusion. Same with AAC - they will be going down. BE will be going up.

What’s not in there? Variance of Travel Costs. UCONN Football Revenue - rights (SNY or other). Women’s BB premiums.

Then. We don’t get AAC Bowl revenue & we do get more MM basketball points revenue.

There’s more money joining the BE. I’m going to estimate $5m per annum.

One. We grab back our Base. And RE energized our Fanbase. Two. I think this thing turned when Aresco didn’t get $10-14m per school. And ignored the WBB value.

Then. If you’re a UConn sports fan - and not just a Connecticut curmudgeon - you have to believe we can compete for more National Championships in MBB. The Platform is far better at the BE

I was sad the day I became aware we were leaving AAC. I’m not anymore.

Reaction Score
Pudge, I hope your right, but there are some red flags with the move. First, large public universities have more resources than small private universities. The AAC seemed to improving in football, basketball, and baseball. Heck, the AAC earned more NCAA tournament credits in 2019 (without UConn) than the BE. Second, UConn’s position on linear TV vs steaming TV seems antiquated. Streaming services are booming and more are coming. Linear TV is in secular decline and the decline appears to be accelerating. Third, ESPN is the clear leader in college sports and UConn’s content will be rarely seen on ESPN with the move. Finally, the College Football Playoff is pretty lucrative as UConn’s payout may be ~$1.5 million. So the possible increase in NCAA basketball credits is at best a wash with the lost CFP payout, although UConn, as an independent, could get $300k to $400k. If the CFP expands, there will probably be a boost to G5 conference payouts.

Reaction Score
Pudge, I hope your right, but there are some red flags with the move. First, large public universities have more resources than small private universities. The AAC seemed to improving in football, basketball, and baseball. Heck, the AAC earned more NCAA tournament credits in 2019 (without UConn) than the BE. Second, UConn’s position on linear TV vs steaming TV seems antiquated. Streaming services are booming and more are coming. Linear TV is in secular decline and the decline appears to be accelerating. Third, ESPN is the clear leader in college sports and UConn’s content will be rarely seen on ESPN with the move. Finally, the College Football Playoff is pretty lucrative as UConn’s payout may be ~$1.5 million. So the possible increase in NCAA basketball credits is at best a wash with the lost CFP payout, although UConn, as an independent, could get $300k to $400k. If the CFP expands, there will probably be a boost to G5 conference payouts.

In your gut ...

We weren’t making it. Traveling to Florida & Texas & Tulsa. The best hope at our highest level doesn’t get us to a Rentschler that fills. And XL or Gampel. A game against Georgetown or Providence - even the Butler/Creighton/Xavier wing is better than 60% of the AAC in Hoop.

I buy your ESPN argument; except that’s changing rapidly.

The more you look at our peer University UMASS as an independent - with few of the resources we have - the more I’m feeling better. They’ve done pretty well scheduling. And they absolutely weren’t prepared for FBS. We know this territory. We are a Brand. So we will get better games. (Of course ... now David Benedict is really key)

I never fear new ventures when the opportunity base is this strong.

Reaction Score
The Catholic church is nowhere close to bankruptcy.

If anything, they've been still creating more schools.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Sadly, we have a collective mentality among most of our fanbase, even some of those who support all sports, not just BB, that the sport James Naismith invented still means something in major collegiate athletics. It doesn't. It hasn't since the presidents took over the NCAA, the CFA was formed in the early 1990's, and college football started making zillions for the Michigans, USC's and Alabamas of the college sports world.

Each year we weren't a member of the CFA and later the BCS club put us further behind the major powers. When we finally woke up in the late 1990's and did sonething about it, maybe it was already too late.

John Toner envisioned us being a IA football program when he was the architect of splitting Division I into two levels, IA and IAA, in 1978. It took another 26 years to make that dream into a reality. We missed the opportunity to be in a CFA and later BCS conference for more than half of the 28 years those associations existed. Even if we had joined the BCS by the late 1990's (we had an open Big East invite for many years), things might have been dramatically different for us when conference realignment came and went.

If Tranghese and Marinatto had ever come to terms with the notion that their precious catholic schools were riding in a tiny little red wagon being pulled by the locomotive called the BCS toward the 21st Century, maybe they wouldn't have been as asleep at the wheel while they watched their precious BB conference torn to pieces, thanks to their indecisiveness.

Without dwelling on the mistakes of the past, the simple reality of the present is this: you can argue the economics of exit fees, TV payouts, streaming video production costs, NCAA shares, bowl revenue shares, travel costs, etc. until you're blue in the face, but we have just condemned our athletic program to permanent second tier status forever, barring a miracle greater than Moses parting of the Red Sea.

Also, don't forget that the AAC is by far the best G5 conference in the country. It stands a chance at becoming the one G5 league worthy of inclusion as a possible CFP worthy player if the playoff expands to eight teams in the near future.

Ask yourself this question. In future years, if the AAC produces a national champion in football or basketball, how will it make you feel?

We chose to step back in time for purely nostalgic, parochial and provincial, not practical reasons, and to seal our fate as a second tier player in collegiate athletics, likely forever. Think about that for one minute. A school with the most combined BB championships in NCAA DI basketball history vs. the Dukes, Kentuckys, UNC's and UCLA's of the world, has voluntarily chosen a path which will likely lead to permanent second tier status in collegiate athletics.

We have hitched our wagon to CBB, an irrelevant sport that will take us nowhere, just so our basketball only fans can feel good about beating Providence, St. John's and Seton Hall again. Oh yeah, I almost forgot. We've also killed the only sport that matters in college sports, a sport UCONN has played since 1896, five years longer than basketball. Anybody interested in buying a slightly used 40,000 seat stadium in E. Hartford, CT?

Reaction Score
Ask yourself this question. In future years, if the AAC produces a national champion in football or basketball, how will it make you feel?
Weak question.
1. No one from the AAC will win a BCS national championship. The P5 and TV powers won't allow it.
2. MBB championship doesn't meter. The AAC already has one. We won it. MBB championships aren't part of the P5 cartel. They're spread around due to a real tournament. I wholly expect the AAC to win some in the future just as I expect the BE to win some more as well.

We've made our bed. Despite my initial misgivings, I think it was the right decision. Only time will tell.

Reaction Score
Sadly, we have a collective mentality among most of our fanbase, even some of those who support all sports, not just BB, that the sport James Naismith invented still means something in major collegiate athletics. It doesn't. It hasn't since the presidents took over the NCAA, the CFA was formed in the early 1990's, and college football started making zillions for the Michigans, USC's and Alabamas of the college sports world.

Each year we weren't a member of the CFA and later the BCS club put us further behind the major powers. When we finally woke up in the late 1990's and did sonething about it, maybe it was already too late.

John Toner envisioned us being a IA football program when he was the architect of splitting Division I into two levels, IA and IAA, in 1978. It took another 26 years to make that dream into a reality. We missed the opportunity to be in a CFA and later BCS conference for more than half of the 28 years those associations existed. Even if we had joined the BCS by the late 1990's (we had an open Big East invite for many years), things might have been dramatically different for us when conference realignment came and went.

If Tranghese and Marinatto had ever come to terms with the notion that their precious catholic schools were riding in a tiny little red wagon being pulled by the locomotive called the BCS toward the 21st Century, maybe they wouldn't have been as asleep at the wheel while they watched their precious BB conference torn to pieces, thanks to their indecisiveness.

Without dwelling on the mistakes of the past, the simple reality of the present is this: you can argue the economics of exit fees, TV payouts, streaming video production costs, NCAA shares, bowl revenue shares, travel costs, etc. until you're blue in the face, but we have just condemned our athletic program to permanent second tier status forever, barring a miracle greater than Moses parting of the Red Sea.

Also, don't forget that the AAC is by far the best G5 conference in the country. It stands a chance at becoming the one G5 league worthy of inclusion as a possible CFP worthy player if the playoff expands to eight teams in the near future.

We chose to step back in time for purely nostalgic, parochial and provincial, not practical reasons, and to seal our fate as a second tier player in collegiate athletics, likely forever. Think about that for one minute. A school with the most combined BB championships in NCAA DI basketball history vs. the Dukes, Kentuckys, UNC's and UCLA's of the world, has voluntarily chosen a path which will likely lead to permanent second tier status in collegiate athletics.

We have hitched our wagon to CBB, an irrelevant sport that will take us nowhere, just so our basketball only fans can feel good about beating Providence, St. John's and Seton Hall again. Oh yeah, I almost forgot. We've also killed the only sport that matters in college sports, a sport UCONN has played since 1896, five years longer than basketball. Anybody interested in buying a slightly used 40,000 seat stadium in E. Hartford, CT?

Simple

There’s the Power 5 - some of whom, on rights contractual agreement alone - get $50m per annum plus huge bowl proceeds. Then. The Group of 5. I’ll admit the AAC has separated from the other 4. But $5m is their Net. So all the Power 5 are making at least 6 times more & some are a multiple of 10.

This destroys your long rant.

There’s no BCS yada yada yada. There’s a top tier; and they keep a slice of others around to play. A Cartel - classically defines in ECON 101. At your University.

That’s it.

UConn did take control of this situation. We don’t believe we can get to the P5 through the AAC. If any of those Universities get raised ... there’s a handful that are eke’d ahead.

We have a better path by, once again, being Programs of Excellence across our AD. Hoop. That excites our base. Football? We can build it like we did in 2002-2010. Play a Notre Dame or 2. Win some. Make incremental dollars.

The idea that the Cartel is gonna shave off March Madness is bogus. The idea that the College Playoff system will be wider than about 10 teams year after year ... also fiction.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I will be rooting for Peart, Magliozzi etal to pull a Belushi and make it a Clambake to remember.

giphy.gif

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Simple

There’s the Power 5 - some of whom, on rights contractual agreement alone - get $50m per annum plus huge bowl proceeds. Then. The Group of 5. I’ll admit the AAC has separated from the other 4. But $5m is their Net. So all the Power 5 are making at least 6 times more & some are a multiple of 10.

This destroys your long rant.

There’s no BCS yada yada yada. There’s a top tier; and they keep a slice of others around to play. A Cartel - classically defines in ECON 101. At your University.

That’s it.

UConn did take control of this situation. We don’t believe we can get to the P5 through the AAC. If any of those Universities get raised ... there’s a handful that are eke’d ahead.

We have a better path by, once again, being Programs of Excellence across our AD. Hoop. That excites our base. Football? We can build it like we did in 2002-2010. Play a Notre Dame or 2. Win some. Make incremental dollars.

The idea that the Cartel is gonna shave off March Madness is bogus. The idea that the College Playoff system will be wider than about 10 teams year after year ... also fiction.

He's an Art Briles apologist, Pudge, don't waste your time talking sense to him. He thinks Briles deserves a second chance.

What he deserves is prison, nothing less.

Reaction Score
The day the cartel pushes everyone out of the NCAA Tourney but the big football schools will be the end of "March Madness". They will be left with nothing.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I will be rooting for Peart, Magliozzi etal to pull a Belushi and make it a Clambake to remember.

giphy.gif
;)Wow, this seems out of character for you. Maybe I have the wrong read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom