2019-2020 Bowl Game Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2019-2020 Bowl Game Thread

Reaction Score
Why doesn't the CFP treat FCS games like the basketball Selection Committee treats D2 games? They shouldn't count.

The basketball Selection Committee has issues and insane favoritism towards the major programs, but they look totally objective compared to the CFP selection committee, whose primary criteria seems to be the size of a team's fan base.
Then the SEC west can't pad it's records so they can self fulfill there narrative that they're the best conference by beating up on each other with inflated records

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Then the SEC west can't pad it's records so they can self fulfill there narrative that they're the best conference by beating up on each other with inflated records

LSU has played 6 teams that were ranked in the top 10 at the time of the game, including 1 on the road out of conference. Auburn played Oregon. Texas A&M played Clemson. It is only Bama that pads their record mostly.

Reaction Score
Now just a bunch of glorified exhibition games till January 13th :eek:.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
LSU has played 6 teams that were ranked in the top 10 at the time of the game, including 1 on the road out of conference. Auburn played Oregon. Texas A&M played Clemson. It is only Bama that pads their record mostly.

I think you just made his point. LSU played a bunch of inflated SEC records and beat them. Good for LSU. Also, conflating the best team in college football with the rest of the joke conference is a little silly.

If college football was not a complete and total joke, teams would get punished for scheduling cupcakes out of conference, and conferences would get punished for doing that by not giving their 12-1 champion a bid to the CFP playoffs when there is no way to track the entire league to a quality win against any other league (looking at you, Oklahoma). Who is the Big 12's best non-conference win? Kansas State over Mississippi State? What is quality win #2?

If the college football playoffs really wants to be about the 4 best teams, then it has to stop allowing entire conferences to schedule like the Big 12 does.

Reaction Score
SEC W is pretty tough...with LSU, Alabama and Auburn...

Who would be favored in any game against about 95% of the non SEC FBS.

Reaction Score
I think you just made his point. LSU played a bunch of inflated SEC records and beat them. Good for LSU. Also, conflating the best team in college football with the rest of the joke conference is a little silly.

If college football was not a complete and total joke, teams would get punished for scheduling cupcakes out of conference, and conferences would get punished for doing that by not giving their 12-1 champion a bid to the CFP playoffs when there is no way to track the entire league to a quality win against any other league (looking at you, Oklahoma). Who is the Big 12's best non-conference win? Kansas State over Mississippi State? What is quality win #2?

If the college football playoffs really wants to be about the 4 best teams, then it has to stop allowing entire conferences to schedule like the Big 12 does.
The bolded part is an integral part of Uconn's independent football plan. Being scheduled/paid to go into top 10 stadiums. That is a part of the future revenue stream that is almost as important as, and quite possibly larger than, any media deal they get for FB. I'm not saying Uconn is a cupcake for this fan base, but I believe Clemson thinks that and that is why Uconn has the pay me game there.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The bolded part is an integral part of Uconn's independent football plan. Being scheduled/paid to go into top 10 stadiums. That is a part of the future revenue stream that is almost as important as, and quite possibly larger than, any media deal they get for FB. I'm not saying Uconn is a cupcake for this fan base, but I believe Clemson thinks that and that is why Uconn has the pay me game there.

I am talking more about the FCS games. The SEC, ACC and Big 12 played 39 games against FCS teams. That is ridiculous.

Reaction Score
hoggle, boggle...

Out of the Final CFP Ranking:

LSU played #5, #9, #12, #13 before the bowls...

Can't convince me it was all rigged by the SEC...

Auburn is pretty good...they lost to the two CFP Finalists by a combined 11 points.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
If college football was not a complete and total joke, teams would get punished for scheduling cupcakes out of conference,

So you're in favor of OOC cupcake UConn never playing a P5 team?

Reaction Score
I am talking more about the FCS games. The SEC, ACC and Big 12 played 39 games against FCS teams. That is ridiculous.
So, each team in those conferences played 1 game against an FCS opponent because it is allowed by the rules and it makes their records over inflated. That is your base premise? Okay, replace those teams with the bottom half of the Sun Belt, MAC, MT West and the low independents. Do their records change? What makes these outstanding OOC opponents for the B1G - CMU, Kent State, Idaho, FAU, Miami (OH), etc...

You can pad your OOC schedules from multiple sources not just FCS. It happens. it does not water down overall results for any conference since the ACC and SEC both are sending reps to the championship game again.

Reaction Score

38 teams played 39 FCS games...about one per....a payday boon to a lamb to come to their stadium.

If they shouldn't schedule a Montana (even though they are rated by Sagarin higher than 42 FBS teams...why not get penalized for scheduling UMass? UMass ranked #229.

If the objection is a created mismatch (cupcake)...Why not penalize a team for scheduling teams outside of ranks #1-130 ?

Penalize (cupcake penalty) a P5 if they had scheduled UMass, New Mexico, New Mexico State, South Alabama, Rutgers, ECU, UConn, Old Dominion, etc.....

But do not penalize them if they schedule an FCS ranked above #130....teams like Weber State, South Dakota State, Montana, Northern Iowa, etc.

Reaction Score
38 teams played 39 FCS games...about one per....a payday boon to a lamb to come to their stadium.

If they shouldn't schedule a Montana (even though they are rated by Sagarin higher than 42 FBS teams...why not get penalized for scheduling UMass? UMass ranked #229.

If the objection is a created mismatch (cupcake)...Why not penalize a team for scheduling teams outside of ranks #1-130 ?

Penalize (cupcake penalty) a P5 if they had scheduled UMass, New Mexico, New Mexico State, South Alabama, Rutgers, ECU, UConn, Old Dominion, etc.....

But do not penalize them if they schedule an FCS ranked above #130....teams like Weber State, South Dakota State, Montana, Northern Iowa, etc.

That’s unmanageable. Scheduling is so long term. If you schedule a team when they are in the top 100 and then drop pretty hard then the penalty is unfair.

Better to keep it the way it is with # of scholarships and retroactively count a win against an FCS towards eligibility at the end of the season.

Reaction Score
Oh I agree....I was somewhat being tongue in cheek about the outrage of playing FCS teams.

Cupcakes are cupcakes...and that there are FBS cupcakes was, I guess, my point.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So, each team in those conferences played 1 game against an FCS opponent because it is allowed by the rules and it makes their records over inflated. That is your base premise? Okay, replace those teams with the bottom half of the Sun Belt, MAC, MT West and the low independents. Do their records change? What makes these outstanding OOC opponents for the B1G - CMU, Kent State, Idaho, FAU, Miami (OH), etc...

You can pad your OOC schedules from multiple sources not just FCS. It happens. it does not water down overall results for any conference since the ACC and SEC both are sending reps to the championship game again.

The MAC, Sun Belt and CUSA were 33-1 against FCS opponents. In your mind, does one opponent beating the other opponent 33 times out of 34 games mean the two opponents are equivalent?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

So the Big 12's best, and only, quality win was over someone other than Mississippi State? Was the game played in secret, because I can not find a record of it.

Are you really defending college football scheduling?

Reaction Score
So the Big 12's best, and only, quality win was over someone other than Mississippi State? Was the game played in secret, because I can not find a record of it.

Are you really defending college football scheduling?

No...I'd never defend the Big 12...weak conference with a history of weak scheduling.

Just saying that scheduling crap FBS teams like UConn, UMass, Rice, New Mexico State, Rutgers is as bad or worse than scheduling a Weber State...that's all.

And saying...if you play in a weak conference, you need to bolster your schedule with strong OOC....but if you are in a strong conference, your OOC is less important...

LSU played four teams in the final CFP top 13 before the bowls...they needed no OOC augmentation.

Reaction Score
Navy WIns!

Fun game, Navy goes into their bag of tricks (4th down, half back pass) during the last series to set up a game winning field goal against a very good Kansas State team.

Service academies 2-0 this bowl season. Navy and Air Force will both finish ranked in the top 20, Amazing.

Reaction Score
Navy WIns!

Fun game, Navy goes into their bag of tricks (4th down, half back pass) during the last series to set up a game winning field goal against a very good Kansas State team.

Service academies 2-0 this bowl season. Navy and Air Force will both finish ranked in the top 20, Amazing.

Fun game sure but it is depressing once you realize it’s nothing more then a glorified exhibition game happy new year btw.

Reaction Score
The SEC usually schedule a cupcake midway through their year to kind of give their guys a break/ easier game from the difficult SEC schedule.

SEC is the best football conference its not even really close. For instance Auburn who had the 5th best record in the SEC at 9-3 would have a legitimate chance of winning every other conference minus the big 10 and acc

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Off topic but can anyone explain to me how Hawaii played 15 games?

Reaction Score
If college football teams took scheduling seriously, there could be a CFP with 4 teams and better games.

As long as college football schedules remain incestuously insular, it basically won’t matter how you schedule out of league because there’s not enough points of comparison to create anything resembling a statistically significant calculation of schedule strength.

A team are always better off scheduling for OOC wins under the current system. Always.

But college football will never take the steps it needs to in order to control and equalize scheduling so that *anyone* can play an “SEC schedule” instead of just the teams lucky enough to be friends with Bear Bryant, this is what we will have.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom