2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 186 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
And for the women,

usawbb-7.jpg

Reaction Score
The reason every year I'm not worried is more than "In Geno we trust". It's that every year, when even the most recalcitrant, hesitant, or undecided recruit comes to Storrs they see that wall in the gym. You know, this one?

IMG_5169.jpg

When they see all the championships, all the players that are currently in the WNBA, and they realize there is no other place like this, well, it speaks to the most doubtful. Also this year they get to speak to the current college woman who was a final cut for the World Cup Team, and another who also would have been a final cut.

Guys, UConn gets 4 of the 5 they want this year.
Of course it's always a very nerve wracking time as recruits have home visits, official visits and the signing deadlines still not close.
We are losing two of the top players in the country at the end of this year on top of three last year. So except for CD U Conn will have almost a whole new team on the floor.
I do though think that Jordy's points are well taken. No other college, team or program has to offer what's here.
I just wonder if the three members of the U-17 want to continue their connection from their championship run, and how Griffin fit in with them in the trials when she was amongst the last cuts.
I think all four are possible but it will be worrisome until each makes their decision.
Bronx23

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The reason every year I'm not worried is more than "In Geno we trust". It's that every year, when even the most recalcitrant, hesitant, or undecided recruit comes to Storrs they see that wall in the gym. You know, this one?

IMG_5169.jpg

When they see all the championships, all the players that are currently in the WNBA, and they realize there is no other place like this, well, it speaks to the most doubtful. Also this year they get to speak to the current college woman who was a final cut for the World Cup Team, and another who also would have been a final cut.

Guys, UConn gets 4 of the 5 they want this year.
I'll bet you two tickets to the Spaniels, Moonglows, Heartbeats, and Five Satins Big Show that you are wrong. I'm not sure about the date. However, it does not matter because you won't come close to winning.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
And for the women,

usawbb-7.jpg

Breaks my heart a little bit seeing Courtney Vandersloot in this pic. I always felt she was the backup PG behind Sue. I think they took Sims that year which i still don’t understand. Sloot should have been part of Team USA.

Reaction Score
I have never read about so many nervous nellies in all my life. A string of #1 recruits and #1 at their position year after year and still the doom and gloom.

Law of averages says UConn is due to have a bad year some time. I just don't like what I am seeing and hearing from the recruits on the possibility of committing to UConn. Hopefully I am wrong, it certainly wouldn't be the first time.

Reaction Score
Law of averages says UConn is due to have a bad year some time. I just don't like what I am seeing and hearing from the recruits on the possibility of committing to UConn. Hopefully I am wrong, it certainly wouldn't be the first time.

Think about what you just wrote. UConn has indeed had some down years in recruiting and despite that they have continued to sit on top of wcbb. They may have another but it's not going to be the end of their dominance, unless you measure an acceptable year as nothing less than a championship.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
What are you hearing from the recruits?

JordyG

Reaction Score
I'll bet you two tickets to the Spaniels, Moonglows, Heartbeats, and Five Satins Big Show that you are wrong. I'm not sure about the date. However, it does not matter because you won't come close to winning.
Sorry, but to steal a line, I don't bet on or with anything that can think.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Local article on Haley Jones' ascension to #1 ranked player at ESPN. Lots of info though most of it known. One note that caught my eye is that she will make her last official visit just prior to signing week which would mean UConn is not her final trip. Presumably that honor will go to Stanford.

She’ll take her first visit to Notre Dame this weekend and will make her final visit in the second week of November.

SC’s Haley Jones is nation’s No. 1 basketball player in Class of ’19

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
What a remarkably poised young lady. In fact, Haley Jones is so poised and articulate that she can probably receive advanced credit and avoid taking Chris Daily’s finishing school class once she enrolls at UConn. ;)

Was struck by that, as well. Kudos to her parents and other influencers (hello, Coach Sue Phillips). Ms. Jones will be a positive to whatever institution she chooses to live, study and play sports at starting in 2019.

(To paraphrase the interviewer in the video segment, she'd be "awesome." ;))

Last edited:

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Is there really a doo wop show featuring those groups? The lead singers of the Spaniels, Moonglows and Heartbeats--Pookie Hudson, Harvey Fuqua and James "Shep" Sheppard--are gone and while Fred Parris may still be able to carry a tune, does he want to split the take five ways?

I can't imagine anyone other than Pookie Hudson singing "Stormy Weather."

We've had some doo wop shows here in San Diego but mostly, they've been fabricated crap. (You can't have The Shirelles without Shirley Alston Reeves, right?)

Alas, while the great doo wop music will endure, sadly, those who provided it will not.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Then there were two. My only problem with the tweet is a journalist spelling canceled with two ells.

Maybe he's just practicing his British spellings? Canceled or Cancelled?

I ran into another one like this the other day. An American celebrity used the word "spelled" and a reply said that she had "spelt spelt wrong". I had no idea that "spelt" is considered proper in Britain & Ireland.

On topic, I had though Griffin was already down to UConn and Louisville. Or at least those were the only teams I had heard linked to her. It was news to me that SC and MSU were even theoretically possibilities.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Maybe he's just practicing his British spellings? Canceled or Cancelled?

I ran into another one like this the other day. An American celebrity used the word "spelled" and a reply said that she had "spelt spelt wrong". I had no idea that "spelt" is considered proper in Britain & Ireland.

On topic, I had though Griffin was already down to UConn and Louisville. Or at least those were the only teams I had heard linked to her. It was news to me that SC and MSU were even theoretically possibilities.
Per this ESPN article June 2018 she was down to louisville and UCONN-But UCONN had not offered. I think a subsequent tweet from her HS coach ? corrected the ESPN article and put MSU, SC and North Carolina back in the mix.
More confusion after AAU Tournament in Louisville (July ?) when UCONN offered and Louisville insider said she was only planning one additional official visit.
Ossining girls' basketball star Aubrey Griffin riding high on the recruiting trail

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Is there really a doo wop show featuring those groups? The lead singers of the Spaniels, Moonglows and Heartbeats--Pookie Hudson, Harvey Fuqua and James "Shep" Sheppard--are gone and while Fred Parris may still be able to carry a tune, does he want to split the take five ways?

I can't imagine anyone other than Pookie Hudson singing "Stormy Weather."

We've had some doo wop shows here in San Diego but mostly, they've been fabricated crap. (You can't have The Shirelles without Shirley Alston Reeves, right?)

Alas, while the great doo wop music will endure, sadly, those who provided it will not.
You sure know your Doo Wop. Pookie Hudson is my favorite lead singer and one of the greatest of all time, as was his group the Spaniels. He never got the national credit he deserved. There is really no real Shirelles without Shirley. No, sadly there is no show featuring those groups. You named some great lead singers and those groups would not be the same without them, except the Five Satins, who had Bill Baker on the lead for one of their big hits, "To The Aisle". Also, I preferred Bobby Lester to Harvey Fuqua as lead for the Moonglows ("Sincerely"). I was just messing with JordyG who was fortunate enough to see some of those groups in their prime. I am in a group here in St. Louis that is still keeping the music alive, performing songs by some of those group..

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
You sure know your Doo Wop. Pookie Hudson is my favorite lead singer and one of the greatest of all time, as was his group the Spaniels. He never got the national credit he deserved. There is really no real Shirelles without Shirley. No, sadly there is no show featuring those groups. You named some great lead singers and those groups would not be the same without them, except the Five Satins, who had Bill Baker on the lead for one of their big hits, "To The Aisle". Also, I preferred Bobby Lester to Harvey Fuqua as lead for the Moonglows ("Sincerely"). I was just messing with JordyG who was fortunate enough to see some of those groups in their prime. I am in a group here in St. Louis that is still keeping the music alive, performing songs by some of those group..
Lead singers come and go but sometimes their replacements, such as Ben E. King for Clyde McPhatter of The Drifters, are more than acceptable. But I don't want to see/hear a version of The Skyliners now that Jimmy Beaumont is gone and there better never be anyone but Little Anthony fronting The Imperials. Some folks are just irreplaceable.
Thanks for doing your part to keep the music alive

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Thanks for your comments and I agree. I had no idea Jimmy Beaumont was gone. That means no more Skyliners.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Lead singers come and go but sometimes their replacements, such as Ben E. King for Clyde McPhatter of The Drifters, are more than acceptable. But I don't want to see/hear a version of The Skyliners now that Jimmy Beaumont is gone and there better never be anyone but Little Anthony fronting The Imperials. Some folks are just irreplaceable.
Thanks for doing your part to keep the music alive
Yeah it's true. I was young, but I saw The Skyliners, The Shirelles (two or three times), The Drifters (with and without Ben E), The 5 Satins, Little Anthony (4x), and a lot more.

But I still don't bet with or on anything that can think. I also only bet on sure things, and there are no such things.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom