2019-20 NON-Uconn WCBB News | The Boneyard

2019-20 NON-Uconn WCBB News

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Saw some pics on facebook today, Kelsey Plum is in the house at Hec Ed practicing with UW. Unfortunately I don't think they found some extra eligibility for her, but it must've been a thrill for the current Dawgs to share the court with her. I think Melgoza and Henson are the only 2 that were actually around when Plum was here.

edit--twitter pics

She was also at the football game later in the day, but unfortunately the Dawgs squandered a 2 touchdown lead and lost to their hated Duck rivals.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Should be another good year for My Aggies.

MEAC Announces 2019-20 Women's Basketball Preseason Honors

NORFOLK, Va., Oct. 23, 2019 – North Carolina A&T State senior guard C’coriea Foy was selected as the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC) Women’s Basketball Preseason Player of the Year, the conference announced today. North Carolina A&T State was selected as the preseason favorite to win the MEAC this coming season.

All awards were voted on by the conference’s head coaches and sports information directors.

Foy was a major part of an Aggies squad that ran the table in conference play in 2018-19, averaging 13.4 points per game and dishing out 2.7 assists per contest. Her 2.6 steals per game were the second-most in the MEAC, and Foy was even better in conference play – averaging 14.0 points and 2.8 assists a game to rank eighth in the league in both categories.

North Carolina A&T State, which went 16-0 in league play last season, was tabbed as the preseason favorite, picking up 229 points and 12 first-place votes. Bethune-Cookman, which won its second-ever MEAC Tournament title, last season, was picked to finish second, earning 215 points and picking up eight first-place votes.

Reaction Score
EHxPKO7XYAAgX5V

tenor.gif

Reaction Score
Coach Schaefer did an interview today with a local podcast. It was mostly the standard coachspeak about how he needs the team to understand the little things on preparation, practicing hard, etc. However he did reference that C Bibby and P Taylor were both physically healed from their respective injuries and that both were very rusty. He specifically cited that P Taylor had not played a competitive game in over 1.5 years and, due to her injury, was not in basketball shape. He is very high on her potential. According to him C Bibby has really “transformed herself” as far as her physical shape but only needs to shake off the rust. He did say both played significant minutes in a recent closed scrimmage against another college. He remarked that J Danberry was also shaking off some rust and she, along with the other recovering players, will make big jumps as the fall progresses. Finally, he expects all the freshmen to fight for playing time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bad news for sharpshooter Kat Tudor and Oregon State. She is denied a medical redshirt despite missing the entire conference schedule and all tournament games last season due to an ACL injury.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Bummer about Tudor. The NCAA has been getting generous about granting another year of eligibility if you transferred mid season at some point in your career. But since Tudor has stayed at the same school, no go.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Bummer about Tudor. The NCAA has been getting generous about granting another year of eligibility if you transferred mid season at some point in your career. But since Tudor has stayed at the same school, no go.
I think Daneesha Provo of Utah played the same number of games as Tudor last year (13), so maybe the difference was that Provo also had a short season as a freshman at Clemson before transferring?

Also, I'm wondering if Tudor might have had better luck with her waiver request if she's waited until after this season to apply for it. Especially if she misses a significant chunk at the start of the season while she finishes rehabbing.

Can she reapply for the MHW after this season in view of "limited competition" for a second consecutive season?

Last edited:

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
The other Oregon school had itss annual preseason scrimmage tonight, with only 9 players + one practice player taking part: S. Sabally under the weather, Nyara recovering from another ACL injury, and Giomi and Prince sitting out for medical reasons of their own (broken nose for the former, precautionary measures to ensure a complete recovery for the latter).

The biggest takeaway for me was the fact that Minyon Moore looked like she had been with the team for a very long time--same speed to the basket and intensity on defense, but also some really terrific passing, and a much improved outside shot ((2/3 from 3, I think). She will make a difference. Hebard's shot selection has also extended to maybe 5' or even a bit more!! featuring a new jump hook and turn around fadeaway--and with the same efficiency as before. Some good things from all 3 newcomers as well, with Holly Winterburn maybe the biggest surprise.

After the game, Graves was cautiously optimistic about Prince being granted a waiver; however, even if so, he doesn't expect her to be completely up to speed until January, since they want to make sure her medical issues are well in the past. Even now, she apparently dunks with some frequency in practice, and, in Graves's words, "we will be tough to beat" if she's cleared and healthy by January or so.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I think Daneesha Provo of Utah played the same number of games as Tudor last year (13), so maybe the difference was that Provo also had a short season as a freshman at Clemson before transferring?

Also, I'm wondering if Tudor might have had better luck with her waiver request if she's waited until after this season to apply for it. Especially if she misses a significant chunk at the start of the season while she finishes rehabbing.

Can she reapply for the MRW after this season in view of "limited competition" for a second consecutive season?

I couldn't help but think the same. I hope she's able to play a full season this year. But if she's not, and the total is somewhere around 12 or 13 games, I would certainly hope the same criteria gets applied to her. We'll have to wait and see.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
The biggest takeaway for me was the fact that Minyon Moore looked like she had been with the team for a very long time--same speed to the basket and intensity on defense, but also some really terrific passing, and a much improved outside shot ((2/3 from 3, I think). She will make a difference.

I thought she was a big get for them. USC has been a bit of a dumpster fire in recent years, but she's clearly a very talented player. With better teammates around her, and a better program/atmosphere, it's easy for me to see her being a difference maker.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Destiny Littleton denied her waiver for South Carolina. She had been seeking immediate eligibility due to "personal reasons."

Plebe

Reaction Score
So that's two waiver denials that we've learned of in recent days: Littleton and Tudor.

I wonder if the approval rate for WCBB won't be as high as for MCBB this year?

Plebe

Reaction Score
Speaking of Littleton, I did a double take when I saw her photo on the twitter post:

Wow does she look like a different person. Dropped a ton of weight and looks in great shape.

Reaction Score
Coach Schaefer had his preseason press conference this afternoon. The link to the conference is below but here are some of the highlights. He spoke again about Chloe Bibby and Promise Taylor recovering from their injuries. He said that Promise was a completely different player from the last press conference approximately three weeks ago. He was concerned at that time about her returning but that she has now made vast improvements. He is hopeful that Taylor and your Yemiyah Morris can play the post and that Jessika Carter can make the transition to the four. The biggest issue at this point with the three of them has been the lack of consistency.

Overall that is also the biggest problem with the team. Myah Taylor is growing as a point guard but that she still has a ways to go. He was hopeful that he would be able to get her another year of experience behind someone. He needs Jordan Danberry to play the wing but may have to play her at point guard depending on Myah’s development.
Overall this may be the fastest team he has coached. He specifically pointed out Jordan Danberry and Xaria Wiggins. He also pointed out that the post players are more athletic too.
They are still working some things internally with BreAmber Scott but don’t have anything else to update on her right now.
While he was complementary of some specific areas the overall tone of the press conference was that this team had a long way to go and the expectations from the fans should be tempered. In this press conference and in others he has been fairly consistent that Chloe Bibby, Jordan Danberry and Promise Taylor are three of his best players. From the comments it referenced their talent but also their consistency in doing the little things.
Finally, he talked about Chloe Bibby’s shooting and that the reason it is so good was because she (along with Andrea Espinoza-Hunter) spent more time prior to practice on it than any other player he’s coached.

Reaction Score
Speaking of Littleton, I did a double take when I saw her photo on the twitter post:

Wow does she look like a different person. Dropped a ton of weight and looks in great shape.

Having to fight to survive on a consistent top 10 team will do that to you.

Reaction Score

That’s the sad part of her not getting to play. She’s in the best shape of her life. Back in June, she posted a story on Instagram detailing how a little over a year ago she made changes in her life. She had stepped onto campus at Texas weighing 190 lbs, quickly gaining weight and playing at 220 as a freshman. As of the end of June, she weighed in at 168 lbs and looks terrific.

0F144FAD-BEC0-490B-8378-6362FF93A0E6.jpeg

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Having to fight to survive on a consistent top 10 team will do that to you.
South Carolina was not a top 10 team last year.

Reaction Score
South Carolina was not a top 10 team last year.
Hopefully this was tongue in cheek. However if not, then you misunderstood the post. Since at least the end of the 2013-2014 season they have finished in the top ten. Last season they were in a rebuilding mold after losing A Wilson and still finished 13. They are preseason back in the top 10 this year. Having a single rebuilding season doesn’t change the expectation of the program or that they have been consistently in the top 10. If it trends downward then obviously that changes things.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Two different things there. One is a medical redshirt the other is a transfer waiver request.
Tudor denial of a medical redshirt was predictable because it did not meet this medical redshirt guideline:
"The student-athlete must not have competed in more than 30% of the season or three contests, whichever is greater."
Tudor got hurt against Washington State on Jan 4 during OSU 13th game of the season. Oregon State played in 34 games last season. Tudor would only have been able to play in 11 games to be eligible for a medical redshirt. These are pretty clear long standing guidelines and I'm not sure how OSU could have missed them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom