2019-20 NON-Uconn WCBB News | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2019-20 NON-Uconn WCBB News

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Two different things there. One is a medical redshirt the other is a transfer waiver request.
Tudor denial of a medical redshirt was predictable because it did not meet this medical redshirt guideline:
"The student-athlete must not have competed in more than 30% of the season or three contests, whichever is greater."
Tudor got hurt against Washington State on Jan 4 during OSU 13th game of the season. Oregon State played in 34 games last season. Tudor would only have been able to play in 11 games to be eligible for a medical redshirt. These are pretty clear long standing guidelines and I'm not sure how OSU could have missed them.

See Daneesha Provo from Utah. She also played in 13 games, exact same number as Tudor, in what was her Sr. year. However because she played in 12 games at Clemson during her Fr. year the NCAA magically gave her another year of eligibility. It's strange to wait more than 2 years to retroactively grant her additional eligibility due to her transfer. But she played in more than 30% of 2 different seasons, plus 2 full seasons. NCAA violates its own rules.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
See Daneesha Provo from Utah. She also played in 13 games, exact same number as Tudor, in what was her Sr. year. However because she played in 12 games at Clemson during her Fr. year the NCAA magically gave her another year of eligibility. It's strange to wait more than 2 years to retroactively grant her additional eligibility due to her transfer. But she played in more than 30% of 2 different seasons, plus 2 full seasons. NCAA violates its own rules.
You keep mixing up your apples, coconuts, and bananas and there is nothing magical or strange about it. Daneesha Provo withdrew from Clemson in January of 2015 for personal reasons. This is/was not a Medical Redshirt situation. Whatever those personal reasons were she either did not apply for or was not granted a waiver to be immediately eligible when she transferred to Utah because she sat out the 2015-16 season at Utah and played the following three season. At the completion of the 18-19 season her 5 year clock would have expired and her 4 years of eligibility (1 at Clemson & 3 at Utah) "should" have expired. The NCAA didn't go to her and say you can play another year. She went to the NCAA with a petition for an extra year of eligibility and an extension of her 5 year clock. Whatever her personal reason were for withdrawing from school was probably enough for the NCAA to approve her petition.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
You keep mixing up your apples, coconuts, and bananas and there is nothing magical or strange about it. Daneesha Provo withdrew from Clemson in January of 2015 for personal reasons. This is/was not a Medical Redshirt situation. Whatever those personal reasons were she either did not apply for or was not granted a waiver to be immediately eligible when she transferred to Utah because she sat out the 2015-16 season at Utah and played the following three season. At the completion of the 18-19 season her 5 year clock would have expired and her 4 years of eligibility (1 at Clemson & 3 at Utah) "should" have expired. The NCAA didn't go to her and say you can play another year. She went to the NCAA with a petition for an extra year of eligibility and an extension of her 5 year clock. Whatever her personal reason were for withdrawing from school was probably enough for the NCAA to approve her petition.

Meh. She played in 12 games. Maybe she had a good reason for leaving Clemson, but she shouldn't get another full season after that. I can't imagine that it wasn't a combination of 2 partial seasons that swung the NCAA's decision in her favor. Once you start granting exceptions for some players, it's completely unfair to players who don't get exceptions.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Meh. She played in 12 games. Maybe she had a good reason for leaving Clemson, but she shouldn't get another full season after that. I can't imagine that it wasn't a combination of 2 partial seasons that swung the NCAA's decision in her favor. Once you start granting exceptions for some players, it's completely unfair to players who don't get exceptions.
Utah's release on Provo said, "She was awarded an additional season based on limited competition in two of her four seasons along with extenuating circumstances beyond her control." That makes me think that "limited competition" in only one season is a less compelling scenario for the NCAA to grant a waiver.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Utah's release on Provo said, "She was awarded an additional season based on limited competition in two of her four seasons along with extenuating circumstances beyond her control." That makes me think that "limited competition" in only one season is a less compelling scenario for the NCAA to grant a waiver than.
That was likely the basis in a few others as well, namely Dean and Danberry, both played limited seasons in two of their four.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
That was likely the basis in a few others as well, namely Dean and Danberry, both played limited seasons in two of their four.

I think the key for Dean was playing only 2 games during her soph year at Texas Tech before transferring. Her other 3 seasons she played 30, 26 and 35 games. That doesn't really appear limited to me.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'll try one last time. "12 games" & "partial seasons" are appropriate criteria when you are dealing with a Medical redshirt situation. This is not a medical redshirt situation. There would be need to have an entire eligibility appeal process if the NCAA did not plan on making "exceptions" for some. "Exceptions" for some is by definition unfair.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I missed this previously. A couple weeks ago Pac 12 Network had their pregame run up to the Washington-Oregon football game. Their usual game day crew was joined by Kelsey Plum, who was back in Seattle. Interesting interview. She said Diana Taurasi was her hero when she was growing up. I don't think I've heard that before.

edited--oops, this thread is supposed to be WCBB...but it is tangentially, because there is a bit of info about the series of games between the National Team and several college teams.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Notre Dame's Abby Prohaska out indefinitely after being diagnosed with bilateral pulmonary embolism (she has a clot in each of her lungs).

This is the kind of "huh" news that puts things in perspective. Glad/hope this was caught early and that Abby is able to address these issues. Due to her upbeat nature, positive spirit, infectious enthusiam and drive, Abby is a fan favorite and will have a lot of positive vibes behind her. All the best....

Update at 5 p.m.: Coach McGraw (MM) has said that Abby will be out until at least January.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Notre Dame's Abby Prohaska out indefinitely after being diagnosed with bilateral pulmonary embolism (she has a clot in each of her lungs).

This is the kind of "huh" news that puts things in perspective. Glad/hope this was caught early and that Abby is able to address these issues. Great kid with a lot of heart and I wish her nothing but the best.

Praying for her. I hate to hear that for any player.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
During the pre-first-game press conference, Coach McGraw also said the starting line-up against Fordham on Tuesday, Nov. 5th will include:
Mik Vaughn at post; Sam Brunelle at forward; Anaya Peoples at guard; and, transfers Destinee Walker (North Carolina) and Marta Sniezek (Stanford) at off-guard and point guard, respectively. Only Vaughn has worn an ND uniform in a regular-season game, so she'll be joining forces with two post-grad transfers (Sniezek, Walker) and two freshmen (Brunelle, Peoples).

Guard Katlyn Gilbert (medical redshirt freshman) will come off the bench for now because she's a bit behind in practice, while rehabbing various injuries. Sophomore Danielle Cogrove will spell Vaughn and perhaps Brunelle at the post/forward slots. Only other player I can see getting meaningful floor time tomorrow is senior guard Katie Cole, a former walk-on who played in 2017-18, missed last year with (what else) an ACL injury and has been awarded a scholarship this year.

I'll be at Rose Hill to see how this rolls out.....

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Mikayla Coombs denied her waiver request as well as one of her Georgia teammates:

Reaction Score
I would be very interested to hear more about Coombs extenuating circumstances. I would think Joni Taylor definitely thinks there is something there for her to appeal Coombs’ and not Shaniya Jones’

Plebe

Reaction Score
I would be very interested to hear more about Coombs extenuating circumstances. I would think Joni Taylor definitely thinks there is something there for her to appeal Coombs’ and not Shaniya Jones’
Jones was a mid-year transfer from Virginia Tech and will apparently be eligible in mid-December anyway. Maybe Taylor doesn't think it's worth the trouble to appeal for an extra 9 games of action.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I'm just now catching up to this news about Ahlana Smith, who as a freshman at UCLA showed flashes of potential but then transferred to Gulf Coast State College, has committed to Louisville.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I'm just now catching up to this news about Ahlana Smith, who as a freshman at UCLA showed flashes of potential but then transferred to Gulf Coast State College, has committed to Louisville.

I got confused for a minute, I thought that already happened. Then realized Kianna Smith from Cal also transferred to Louisville (I'm assuming she's sitting out this year).

Reaction Score
I got confused for a minute, I thought that already happened. Then realized Kianna Smith from Cal also transferred to Louisville (I'm assuming she's sitting out this year).
It did already happen. It was posted about a little while back.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
It did already happen. It was posted about a little while back.

Okay. Multiple Smiths from Pac 12 schools in California ending up at Louisville has me seeing double.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom