2018 UConn Football Commits Senior HS Season Reports | Page 9 | The Boneyard

2018 UConn Football Commits Senior HS Season Reports

Reaction Score
Whats the deal - can he play baseball if he joins the team after the spring game?

All other logistics/skill set questions aside -kinda doubt Penders would hold a roster spot open that far into the season.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
All other logistics/skill set questions aside -kinda doubt Penders would hold a roster spot open that far into the season.
You didn't answer my question. But thats okay - you get what you pay for.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

So you made me do my own homework. I haven't conducted a deep dive, but best I can tell so far there is no rule prohibiting someone from playing both D1 football and baseball.

The best story I have so far is Todd Helton who played QB for Tennessee until losing his spot to Payton Manning over a knee injury while also playing full time on the baseball team. In reading his wiki page, Helton kicked butt at everything he did....a modern Babe Ruth of sorts. He even was a dominate pitcher.
Todd Helton - Wikipedia

Reaction Score
So you made me do my own homework. I haven't conducted a deep dive, but best I can tell so far there is no rule prohibiting someone from playing both D1 football and baseball.

The best story I have so far is Todd Helton who played QB for Tennessee until losing his spot to Payton Manning over a knee injury while also playing full time on the baseball team. In reading his wiki page, Helton kicked butt at everything he did....a modern Babe Ruth of sorts. He even was a dominate pitcher.
Todd Helton - Wikipedia

Jameson Winston is more recent.

My bad... I thought you would infer the answer.

Can he... everything else aside - sure if there is an open roster spot.

Will he - high likelihood not.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Here's one more. Jeff Samardzija played both football and baseball while at Notre Dame for all four years.

Jeff Samardzija - Wikipedia

Okay - research over - moving on now.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Jameson Winston is more recent.

I thought you would infer the answer.

Can he... everything else aside - sure if there is an open roster spot.

Will he - high likelihood not.
No - my question was strictly centered on whether the NCAA had any rules prohibiting D1 football/baseball combos. I honestly had never looked into it and always kinda of assumed that the few two sport players we have just suspended play of one or the other sport during college. As for Hunter being a duel sport guy for real - well I thought that was obvious and didnt need an answer - of course that is not happening here at UConn.

Reaction Score
Kyler Murray is expected to be a top baseball prospect, as well as Oklahoma’s starting qb we’ll see what he does.

Reaction Score
Drew Hensen played football and baseball at UM... started over Brady at QB for some of his tenure.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

I really think this kid is going to be a stud and one of, if not the best, recruit of this class. We'll see what happens with the QB as he could possibly be the best. However everything I've read or seen about him seems to be great and I really think he's going to shine here. With our D being so young I'll be interested to see of he gets PT this season

Reaction Score
I really think this kid is going to be a stud and one of, if not the best, recruit of this class. We'll see what happens with the QB as he could possibly be the best. However everything I've read or seen about him seems to be great and I really think he's going to shine here. With our D being so young I'll be interested to see of he gets PT this season
I have a good vibe about this kid too. Like everything though, my PTSD symptoms from the past 7 years has me firmly in the “Hopeful, but show me” camp. I might as well move to Missouri.

Reaction Score
I think for the most part, the incoming freshman football class at UCONN has been much underated. Many of them will see PT IMO.

DRTJaDLVoAEtacd.jpeg

Hunter Webb, Travis Jones, Keyshawn Paul.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think for the most part, the incoming freshman football class at UCONN has been much underated. Many of them will see PT IMO.

View attachment 31195

Hunter Webb, Travis Jones, Keyshawn Paul.

Regardless of the incoming freshmen's talents, their ability to get on the field is more about the lack of talent of returning players. Even Bama and OSU sit many of their 5-star incoming players.

Reaction Score
I hate when facts get in the way of the narrative.

the Buckeyes played 14 true freshmen through its first six games of 2017.

The big story exiting the national title game was the major contribution from Alabama's true freshmen. Ultimately, 17 saw playing time while nine redshirted.

Reaction Score
Regardless of the incoming freshmen's talents, their ability to get on the field is more about the lack of talent of returning players. Even Bama and OSU sit many of their 5-star incoming players.
Yes, that is true. In UConn's case this fall the coaching staff will be forced to play many of their freshman, especially on defense. However, my main point is, most predictions on how UConn will win or lose this fall in various games, are not factoring in the strength of UConn freshman class, particularly on defense. With UMass for example, six games into the season, I think we will win that game.

Reaction Score
Yes, that is true. In UConn's case this fall the coaching staff will be forced to play many of their freshman, especially on defense. However, my main point is, most predictions on how UConn will win or lose this fall in various games, are not factoring in the strength of UConn freshman class, particularly on defense. With UMass for example, six games into the season, I think we will win that game.
If these incoming freshmen are that much of an upgrade, then the win-loss record will be driven in large part by how fast they adapt to the college game. I think that will take longer than you do. I hope I’m wrong.

Reaction Score
If these incoming freshmen are that much of an upgrade, then the win-loss record will be driven in large part by how fast they adapt to the college game. I think that will take longer than you do. I hope I’m wrong.
That's exactly why I said UMass was six games into the season. UCF will be another story, but even there I don't think the loss will be as bad as some are predicting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom