2018 Team USA | Page 11 | The Boneyard

2018 Team USA

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Hah! I think just a tinge past 80 when they'd be frosh (Pretty sure she and Geno are a year apart in age).

That leads into the ND succession thread which we'll hold for awhile .:rolleyes:
Yeah, Muffet and Geno are very close to the same age (not quite 63 and 64, respectively).

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Hah! I think just a tinge past 80 when they'd be frosh (Pretty sure she and Geno are a year apart in age).

That leads into the ND succession thread which we'll hold for awhile .:rolleyes:

Isn't Niele Ivey pretty much penciled in at this point? Or what's the general consensus (if any)

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Isn't Niele Ivey pretty much penciled in at this point? Or what's the general consensus (if any)

I think that's what most fans would like to see. At the same time, McGraw doesn't appear to be eyeing the exit and any year now Niele could opt to take a head coaching job elsewhere especially now that her son, Jaden, is pretty much grown (now a high school junior).

A fun wrinkle in that scenario is that Jaden has now picked up a scholarship offer from Notre Dame. You could end up with an inversion of the typical scenario where instead of the high school graduate going away for college he stays home and his mom goes away!

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I think that's what most fans would like to see. At the same time, McGraw doesn't appear to be eyeing the exit and any year now Niele could opt to take a head coaching job elsewhere especially now that her son, Jaden, is pretty much grown (now a high school junior).

A fun wrinkle in that scenario is that Jaden has now picked up a scholarship offer from Notre Dame. You could end up with an inversion of the typical scenario where instead of the high school graduate going away for college he stays home and his mom goes away!

Pretty much echo Orangutan's insights. Will add a few extra thoughts:
- Jaden also has offers from Purdue and Butler, as well, so Niele could be spending time criss-crossing the state to see her son play.
- Everything I read indicates MM is pretty juiced to stay on the job. Loves her fellow coaches and staff and her husband Matt, is a great help, too. He accompanies her on many of her recruiting trips so she can concentrate on the task at hand.
- Niele was a finalist for the Vandy job when that popped up. Could see Niele looking at a position like that if it appears once Jaden is in college.
- Niele, is for sure a fan favorite. But I'm not sure that's a done or even understood deal. Beth Morgan Cunninghamm, the ND assistant in charge of wings, had a good track record as head coach at VCU before coming back to ND. And Megan Duffy had a fine first year at Miami of Ohio and has supposedly had an excellent recruiting year, as well. All three - Ivey, Cunningham, Duffy -- were/are McGraw faves as players and coaches. Plus, the longer MM stays, who knows whom else will rise in/join the coaching ranks and possibly be considered.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Yeah, Muffet and Geno are very close to the same age (not quite 63 and 64, respectively).
This is a sad and sensitive topic Mil, but I'm going to say it. All three of these coaches, some would argue the three greatest women's college basketball coaches of all time, are entering their endgame now. I don't think any of these coaches are Jack McKeon and will be coaching in their 80's. So the truth is all are entertaining some of their last recruiting classes. It's all rosey now, but I would have liked to see Geno walk onto center court at first night 30 lbs. lighter. When the first retirement shoe of these three drops the others are sure to soon follow. Enjoy them while their here folks, because we may never see the likes of these three ever again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom