2018 Recruiting Thread | Page 55 | The Boneyard

2018 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Noel Ofori-Nyadu picked up additional offers from Boise State and New Mexico
Noel Ofori-Nyadu, potentially UConn's 1st player of Ghanaian background.
9bln2d.jpg

Reaction Score
I think if they can a few more of the OL targets - There is a decent chance that Travis Jones gets flipped DL.
I think/hope we can get some JUCOs to help out now up front on D...Edsall 2.0 isn't against recruiting JUCOs like years ago... We simply need a better/more consistent push up front... Opposing teams' QBs are way too comfy in the pocket.. They pick us apart.. at will... putting pressure on the guy would help solve that problem one would think...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'm feeling good about the direction of the offense under Lashlee, especially if we can land a few of more of these kids that are visiting and find a couple more RBs by Jan.

On defense I am very concerned we aren't picking up difference makers.

To that end, two guys in Florida that I would ecstatic to see come our way are Eriq Gilyard (LB) and Dequan Jackson (LB). Both play in the talent rich Jacksonville.

Watch their tapes for a refresher for what an explosive HS prospect should look like for D. They like to hit, they have no trouble tackling, they dissect plays and find the ball quickly. Changing our D will require a real uptick in talent.

If Crocker wants a leash on year two, he needs to get some real prospects.

Eriq Gilyard on Hudl
Eriq Gilyard, Trinity Christian Academy, Inside Linebacker <--visited NC State on 9/30. Looks like NC State, Kentucky and UCF are the leaders

Dequan Jackson on Hudl
Dequan Jackson, Robert E. Lee, Outside Linebacker <--numerous offers, looks like maybe leaning towards Maryland or USF.

Of the two, I think we have a better shot (long shot) at Jackson.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

>>"I want to take all my five visits, and I've only taken the one to Ohio U. right now," he added. "Right now, I would say Ohio University, Ball State and UCONN are up high for me." "I have an official visit upcoming to UCONN on December 8, and I'm in the process of scheduling the Ball State official," he said.

There is one Big Ten program in regular contact with McCracken, and an offer would certainly impact his recruitment. "I'm hearing a lot from Michigan State, and that would be a big offer for me," he admitted. "Should they offer, it would really help me narrow things down totally. I've been talking with Coach (Jim) Bollman." <<

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Update from my August chart -

Bold = uncommitted prospect.

QB - 1 - Krajewski
RB - 3 - Gillespie, two of Izien/Smoke/McDuffie/Wells/Chuckwuneke <--added McDuffie back to the picture per his commentary a few weeks ago that UConn was holding back on an offer to see his senior season.
OL - 4 - Rooney, Maloney, Jefferson or Beebe (for center position), Nyadu (or Moran or Ingle)
WR - 3 - Jeffreys, Robinson, Maurisseasu-ONeil,
TE - 2 - Bemiy (looking at his early 2018 tape, still looks like an offensive player to me, playing RB and TE this year) plus one of Willis, Corey Thomas or Casey Rogers.
DL - 5 - Pace, T. Jones (or place him on OL), two of McCracken/Choloh/Daley/Welshcof/Turay + a TBD Juco.
LB - 4 - K. Jones, Harris, Webb, E. Thomas (Juco - already on campus)
DB - 4 - Banks, Morrison, Carroll, Lazarus
total = 26*
*With Eli Thomas on campus this fall, I think he counts towards the 2017 class, but this has not been confirmed.

Commentary:

• I'm most baffled by what the staff will do with Francis Bemiy. At 6'4'', he's making all his highlight film as an RB, HB and occasional TE. What little film there is of him on D doesn't show someone particularly skilled at finding the play, making tackles, lowering the shoulder, etc. He can make you miss, has decent speed and adequate height. Seems like is best spot would be TE at the next level. I don't see enough aggressive defensive instincts to be an OLB.
  • Wildcard - If in Dec/Jan the staff manages to reel in a plus level LB recruit, then maybe they encourage D. Harris to play a second year at Lackawanna to create room. Otherwise, not sure how we fit it in unless maybe we go with just 2 RBs in this class which seems like a dangerous path for an injury prone position.
  • I'm expecting Lazarus to win a starting CB job next year and one of Banks or Carroll to get reps. In any event, as best we can reasonably assume at this time, these four guys plus last year's class represents all that we will have for a Crocker recruited secondary.
  • Not sure there is room for Evan Lovell unless the staff whiffs on Jefferson and Bebee. PWO perhaps?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
@Exit 4 - your posts are like the proverbial kiss of death;)

Ha - yeah!

Two comments, I look at guys like Gilyard and Daquan Jackson as the explosive tackling machines we need and that just have not pulled in many many years.

Gilyard we never had a shot at, but I am hoping that like last year when Marvin Washington fell into our lap that some player as exciting lands with us on Defense.

Crocker needs to get something special done with his remaining scholarships. No more projects and conversions.

Reaction Score
Check the date...?
Yup... teach me not to have glasses on reading mobile. I moved to desktop and you beat me to it. I noticed he didn't play a game two weeks ago and wondered whether he was inured but had a big game against ASA last weekend.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Yup... teach me not to have glasses on reading mobile. I moved to desktop and you beat me to it. I noticed he didn't play a game two weeks ago and wondered whether he was inured but had a big game against ASA last weekend.

No worries. My blood pressure spiked the first time I read it.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
No worries. My blood pressure spiked the first time I read it.
So what do we think here, just decided to do throw back Tuesday's?

This tweet spurred me to look at Dylan Harris and Corey Thomas's JUCO stats so far this season. Dylan had a great first game, but then missed a game for reason unknown and had what looked like a lesser game in the loss to ASA.

Corey Thomas has just 3 or 4 catches on the season for ASA and did not participate in their last game.

Also notable in the last game is that the star RB for Lackawanna; Jo El-Shaw did not have a good game either - I think he is a Miss State or Old Miss commit.

Anyways, these JUCO stats kind of illustrate that going the JUCO route can back fire if the scheme and participation situation just doesn't work out.

Reaction Score
Gabriel Gridley. Punter. 6-2 200 from ASA Academy in Brooklyn?

Reaction Score
So what do we think here, just decided to do throw back Tuesday's?

This tweet spurred me to look at Dylan Harris and Corey Thomas's JUCO stats so far this season. Dylan had a great first game, but then missed a game for reason unknown and had what looked like a lesser game in the loss to ASA.

Corey Thomas has just 3 or 4 catches on the season for ASA and did not participate in their last game.

Also notable in the last game is that the star RB for Lackawanna; Jo El-Shaw did not have a good game either - I think he is a Miss State or Old Miss commit.

Anyways, these JUCO stats kind of illustrate that going the JUCO route can back fire if the scheme and participation situation just doesn't work out.
I disagree a little bro... Kids for the most part at the JUCO level don't put up the #s they might've put up in HS... They still get recruited by P5 schools... On the contrary , the ones that typically put up exceptional #s at the JUCO level won't even look our way... they go SEC typically.. Bottom line there are kids at the JUCO level that can really help us out NOW even without putting up big stats...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I disagree a little bro... Kids for the most part at the JUCO level don't put up the #s they might've put up in HS... They still get recruited by P5 schools... On the contrary , the ones that typically put up exceptional #s at the JUCO level won't even look our way... they go SEC typically.. Bottom line there are kids at the JUCO level that can really help us out NOW even without putting up big stats...

I hear ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman