2018 Recruiting: Isaiah Mucius - update | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2018 Recruiting: Isaiah Mucius - update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Please don't get your hopes up. The staff is not recruiting well lately.. just heard they are pushing 2017
In my initial post I noted that I'm not going to get my hopes up going by our recent recruiting track record. I think it more likely we get a 5'8" guard from some unkknown high school to finish off '17 than this player. LOL!

Reaction Score
Any sense of where the coaching staff envisions playing Polley? He is technically (based on ESPN ratings) our highest rated recruit for 2017, and I wonder if the staff envisions him as a future 4 rather than a 3 (hence the interest in Mucius for 2017). I figured Polley's game would meld well into the 3.

Reaction Score
Any sense of where the coaching staff envisions playing Polley? He is technically (based on ESPN ratings) our highest rated recruit for 2017, and I wonder if the staff envisions him as a future 4 rather than a 3 (hence the interest in Mucius for 2017). I figured Polley's game would meld well into the 3.
I think the this guy would be rated higher than Polley if in the same class and really this is looking to replace TL for next year. Also, since we are going to play small ball most likely based on our current roster makeup having another SF in the fold makes sense. Right now we have JA, AG, CV, TL , Tyler Phommachanh, AA and MD to play the 1-4 positions. We likely need one more player to rotate in there especially if KO goes with MD at the center position. I personally think JO will start DO at the center with EC backing up. Though if he goes with MD at center and DO backing him up than you are only rotating 6 players for 4 positions.

Reaction Score
I think the this guy would be rated higher than Polley if in the same class and really this is looking to replace TL for next year. Also, since we are going to play small ball most likely based on our current roster makeup having another SF in the fold makes sense. Right now we have JA, AG, CV, TL , Tyler Phommachanh, AA and MD to play the 1-4 positions. We likely need one more player to rotate in there especially if KO goes with MD at the center position. I personally think JO will start DO at the center with EC backing up. Though if he goes with MD at center and DO backing him up than you are only rotating 6 players for 4 positions.

Your post is like reading a bowl of alphabet soup. :confused:

Reaction Score
Your post is like reading a bowl of alphabet soup. :confused:

But good analysis, nonetheless. Make sense to reel in another 3 for the rotation for 2017. I'd prefer that to a scholarship used on a transfer, which is KO's preference (if I remember correctly)

Reaction Score
But good analysis, nonetheless. Make sense to reel in another 3 for the rotation for 2017. I'd prefer that to a scholarship used on a transfer, which is KO's preference (if I remember correctly)
Yeah, plus I don't think KO wants to see any more 3 on 5 as far as offense. Even though KF improved he still has his ruts so in essence we were play 3 on 5. I think moving TL to the 4 and playing small is best idea based on current personnel on the team. I would prefer to start a bigger 3 than CV there so hopefully we can reel this kid in for '17.

Reaction Score
Yeah, plus I don't think KO wants to see any more 3 on 5 as far as offense. Even though KF improved he still has his ruts so in essence we were play 3 on 5. I think moving TL to the 4 and playing small is best idea based on current personnel on the team. I would prefer to start a bigger 3 than CV there so hopefully we can reel this kid in for '17.

Look at the Instagram pics posted earlier. If anyone is going to play the 4 it's Mucius. He's gotta have 15 lbs on Larrier already.

Really it only matters on defense. Either of them would have a tough time with a physical PF. On offense, they'd both be on the perimeter as shots their strengths.

Reaction Score
Look at the Instagram pics posted earlier. If anyone is going to play the 4 it's Mucius. He's gotta have 15 lbs on Larrier already.

Really it only matters on defense. Either of them would have a tough time with a physical PF. On offense, they'd both be on the perimeter as shots their strengths.
They look similar to me, TL actually looks more defined, and he played it last year and more than handled his own. Where are these great dominate post players at the college level? Most bigs, even muscular ones, are taking more 3's and driving inside for easier baskets. The game has changed. Even KF who is basically the same build and height of TL more than handled his own against most bigs when playing the 4. I can see if we were asking TL to play the center position that it would be a stretch.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
They look similar to me, TL actually looks more defined, and he played it last year and more than handled his own. Where are these great dominate post players at the college level? Most bigs, even muscular ones, are taking more 3's and driving inside for easier baskets. The game has changed. Even KF who is basically the same build and height of TL more than handled his own against most bigs when playing the 4. I can see if we were asking TL to play the center position that it would be a stretch.

You cram a lot of wrong into very little space here.

Fourteen first round draft picks were either power forwards or centers - 6'10 or bigger. The game hasn't changed that much - you still need big people to get rebound and defend the basket. The vast majority of them are not out tossing up threes, they're playing with their backs to the basket.

Kevin Freeman and Terry Larrier could not be more different - Freeman had 40 pounds on Larrier at the same age. Mucius is supposedly 180 pounds and he and Larrier look to have the same build - these guys aren't bangers.

Larrier played three games for us last year. Forget what their power forwards did to us, all three of those mid-majors brought guards who were heavier and stronger than Larrier. All three went off on us and we were lucky to only lose two of those games.

He's not a power forward by any stretch. If we expect him to play the four against our non-conference slate, he's going to die young.

Reaction Score
KO has said he wants to run more. If we can't rebound we won't be able to run. So Larrier should be a 3. If he plays the 4 we will need our guards to rebound, killing our ability to run.

Reaction Score

Fourteen first round draft picks were either power forwards or centers - 6'10 or bigger. The game hasn't changed that much - you still need big people to get rebound and defend the basket. The vast majority of them are not out tossing up threes, they're playing with their backs to the basket.

Kevin Freeman and Terry Larrier could not be more different - Freeman had 40 pounds on Larrier at the same age. Mucius is supposedly 180 pounds and he and Larrier look to have the same build - these guys aren't bangers.

Larrier played three games for us last year. Forget what their power forwards did to us, all three of those mid-majors brought guards who were heavier and stronger than Larrier. All three went off on us and we were lucky to only lose two of those games.

He's not a power forward by any stretch. If we expect him to play the four against our non-conference slate, he's going to die young.
You are looking at guys who are going to the NBA. I'm looking at the college ball were you aren't going to see those type of bangers who you mention every game especially in our conference. There are a few big guys but there post game is anything but graceful in our conference. TL did play the 4 last year and I don't see why he can't this year as we are in more of mid-major conference. I don't see any of those true post up players in our league.

So you would prefer MD and DO to be in our starting lineup? It is going to be a very long season and definitely KO's last if that is true. I'm sorry we need to be able to score next year and I can't see it unless we go small.

We probably won't play small too much if CV has to be our starting SF though as I can't see that working long term. This is the reason why I feel that KO was so hot on SW and now IM as he needs a decently sized and talented forward or big guard to pair with TL at the 3 and 4 position.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You are looking at guys who are going to the NBA. I'm looking at the college ball were you aren't going to see those type of bangers who you mention every game especially in our conference. There are a few big guys but there post game is anything but graceful in our conference. TL did play the 4 last year and I don't see why he can't this year as we are in more of mid-major conference. I don't see any of those true post up players in our league.

So you would prefer MD and DO to be in our starting lineup? It is going to be a very long season and definitely KO's last if that is true. I'm sorry we need to be able to score next year and I can't see it unless we go small.

We probably won't play small too much if CV has to be our starting SF though as I can't see that working long term. This is the reason why I feel that KO was so hot on SW and now IM as he needs a decently sized and talented forward or big guard to pair with TL at the 3 and 4 position.

Little early to be saying if Diarra starts the 4 then it will be a long season and Ollies last.

You can't see Jalen Adams, AG and Larrier with any other two scoring? I'd imagine those three will be tough to stop scoring.

You mention our conference but what about our tough OOC schedule? Larrier will split time between 3 and 4 but I dont see him playing only the 4 like Daniels did.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure he was speaking about Kentan Facey, not Kevin Freeman!
I was talking about Ketan Facey. No way would I compare him to Kevin Freeman who played when the stretch 4's maybe were just starting to become popular. Of course Kevin wasn't a stretch 4.

Reaction Score
Little early to be saying if Diarra starts the 4 then it will be a long season and Ollies last.

You can't see Jalen Adams, AG and Larrier with any other two scoring? I'd imagine those three will be tough to stop scoring.

You mention our conference but what about our tough OOC schedule? Larrier will split time between 3 and 4 but I dont see him playing only the 4 like Daniels did.
I will just have to agree to disagree on this. I agree in the NBA TL position will be the 3 but I think in college he can definitely play the 4 full time if needed. I don't see it happening right now as we would be super small at the 3 with CV but if we get IM I could see it happening.

Reaction Score
Our half court sets are going to work a whole lot better when Jalen can't get blitzed on every single screen. He'll average 15 assists a game if they play him the same way this year. Love our options on the perimeter.

The struggle will obviously be inside. We just won't have enough possessions to win if we can't rebound. I don't see Larrier being that guy.

Reaction Score
Thank god.

But he's still wrong - Facey is what, four or five inches taller?
2 inches by listed height. 6'10" for KF and 6'8" for TL.

Reaction Score
Thank god.

But he's still wrong - Facey is what, four or five inches taller?
Kentan was 6'9 or 10, which would put him 2-3 inches taller than Polley, and 1-3 inches taller than Larrier/Mucius. Mucius is probably the better rebounder of the two, as Polley has struggled to rebound against good competition. Polley is a better 3 point shooter.

Polley fits the idea of a stretch 4 but really needs to strengthen up to improve his rebounding. Mucius' athleticism will allow him to play the 3, and he has a good midrange jumper. He needs to extend his range to the 3 point line, though.

The two could easily coexist on the floor and at that point, the defensive assignment would figure itself out in due time. So like you've alluded to, it's kind of a waste of time theorizing who would play where.

I think most of us agree Larrier will play a lot of 4 this year even if Mucius commits and reclassifies.

Reaction Score
Brad Stevens recently said, "I don't have the five positions anymore...You're either a ball-handler, a wing or a big."

This is what Ollie has been striving for since he took over. He sorta had this with the National Championship team.

Reaction Score

I usually agree with you Fishy but this is one of the weakest posts I've seen from you. The prototypical college 4 is not what it used to be. If we can win a national championship with guys like Deandre Daniels and Niels Giffey both playing the 4, then Larrier should easily be able to fill that role. How many times have we gotten destroyed by a 4 man who ends up being a nightmare because he can step out and hit 3's and our guys are too big and slow to guard him? I can't even tell you how many times this has happened to us over the years. Now we have the ability to go slightly smaller and have a guy in Larrier who is a nightmare for some teams to match up at the 4 position. Even most major programs are not starting 6' 10" or 6' 11" guys at the PF position...I thought this was pretty common knowledge.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I usually agree with you Fishy but this is one of the weakest posts I've seen from you. The prototypical college 4 is not what it used to be. If we can win a national championship with guys like Deandre Daniels and Niels Giffey both playing the 4, then Larrier should easily be able to fill that role. How many times have we gotten destroyed by a 4 man who ends up being a nightmare because he can step out and hit 3's and our guys are too big and slow to guard him? I can't even tell you how many times this has happened to us over the years. Now we have the ability to go slightly smaller and have a guy in Larrier who is a nightmare for some teams to match up at the 4 position. Even most major programs are not starting 6' 10" or 6' 11" guys at the PF position...I thought this was pretty common knowledge.
throat guard - Google Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32