2018 Recruiting: All 3 of our recruits got a bump up; Kisunas in particular | The Boneyard

2018 Recruiting: All 3 of our recruits got a bump up; Kisunas in particular

Reaction Score
Since we are about half way through our 12-day hiatus, I figured this would help keep you all going for a few more days.

247Sports came out with their revised rankings of the Top 2018 basketball recruits, and all 3 guys got a bump up in their Composite rankings, and only Matthews Jr. dropped in his ranking while the other 2 were also up in that list.

Lukas Kisunas soared- all the way to #143, up 125, in the . Seems like he could be more than just a project after all. God, I hope so!

One thing that I do like about this particular staff put together of Ollie, Chillious and Killings at least this year is that they seem to be better at identifying late bloomers AND players who fit what Ollie wants to do than the previous group. And I would still submit that Akinjo is still significantly underrated based upon his actual performance this summer at Peach Jam and on the Nike EYBL Circuit in general and so far at the beginning of his senior basketball season.

Last edited by a moderator:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Since we are about half way through our 12-day hiatus, I figured this would help keep you all going for a few more days.

247Sports came out with their revised rankings of the Top 2018 basketball recruits, and all 3 guys got a bump up in their 247Sports Composite rankings, and only Matthews Jr. dropped in his Top247 ranking while the other 2 were also up in that list.

Lukas Kisunas soared- all the way to #143, up 125, in the Top247. Seems like he could be more than just a project after all. God, I hope so!

One thing that I do like about this particular staff put together of Ollie, Chillious and Killings at least this year is that they seem to be better at identifying late bloomers AND players who fit what Ollie wants to do than the previous group. And I would still submit that Akinjo is still significantly underrated based upon his actual performance this summer at Peach Jam and on the Nike EYBL Circuit in general and so far at the beginning of his senior basketball season.
I like our recruits a lot. Next year we will also have Sid wilson. We just need another guard due to gilberts injury and the uncertainty if adams is leaving, preferably a 2018 recruit and not a grad transfer.

Last edited:

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score

247Sports came out with their revised rankings of the Top 2018 basketball recruits, and all 3 guys got a bump up in their 247Sports Composite rankings, and only Matthews Jr. dropped in his Top247 ranking while the other 2 were also up in that list.

Lukas Kisunas soared- all the way to #143, up 125, in the Top247. Seems like he could be more than just a project after all. God, I hope so!

Akinjo put in work out here in the Bay area last week. He was named MVP of the Gridley Invitational. Here is the link.

UConn-bound guard doing it all for Salesian

Reaction Score
I'm showing Emmitt Matthews with a 17 spot drop in the rankings. Pretty steep drop. Kisunas on the other hand shot up 96 spots.

The AAC is having a miserable time so far.

Akinjo at 96 and Hinton at 98 (Houston) are the only 2 top 100s.
Then you have 2 from 100-150, and another 4 from 150-200.

8 in the top 200. Yikes.

Only UConn, Houston and Wichita State are doing anything.

Reaction Score
247 rankings:
Akinjo-106
Kisunas-143
Matthews-227

Let's have a party and sign Ollie up for another 5 years. There is no reason why he can't continue to finish in the top 7 of the AAC and have a winning percentage of .600. We are right where we need to be.

Reaction Score
247 rankings:
Akinjo-106
Kisunas-143
Matthews-227

Let's have a party and sign Ollie up for another 5 years. There is no reason why he can't continue to finish in the top 7 of the AAC and have a winning percentage of .600. We are right where we need to be.
These are the type of recruits you get in the AAC. Face facts as all our other counterparts get the same or worst. The problem is KO is not a great coach and can't even get us in the top 3 of the aac with this talent. No excuses for that as other teams are working with the same or worst talent in the AAC. That is why his job is on the line and not the recruits we are getting. Though this season's recruits all seem like a reach.

Reaction Score
These are the type of recruits you get in the AAC. Face facts as all our other counterparts get the same or worst. The problem is KO is not a great coach and can't even get us in the top 3 of the aac with this talent. No excuses for that as other teams are working with the same or worst talent in the AAC. That is why his job is on the line and not the recruits we are getting. Though this season's recruits all seem like a reach.

We had a top ten recruiting class in the country last year in the same conference.

Please explain.

Reaction Score

We actually have gotten recruits ranked higher than this.

But we didn't do much/anything with them. So now we don't.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
It's going to be great when 1 or more of these kids does great things at UConn and some of these same posters will write things like, "I had a good feeling about him...I knew he would be good when I saw his tape!" Only on the Boneyard...

Reaction Score
247 rankings:
Akinjo-106
Kisunas-143
Matthews-227

Wow.

This is what makes me nervous. I know rankings don't always mean much. And the tape/write-ups for all these kids looks/sounds good.

But KO's track record with developing guys isn't exactly the best. And how we've done so far with guys in this range isn't exactly great. Guys like Facey, Samuel, Diarra. Everyone on the current class is in this range, and while some have shown signs and will likely be solid 4 year contributors, none are impact guys.

And that's the problem. We are starving for talent right now. We need guys who can come in and make an immediate impact. Especially if Jalen and Terry leave. I am hopeful Wilson will be able to do that. But we are going to need the current freshman to make a big jump and are going to need all 3 of these guys able to come in ready to contribute right away.

Reaction Score
It's going to be great when 1 or more of these kids does great things at UConn and some of these same posters will write things like, "I had a good feeling about him...I knew he would be good when I saw his tape!" Only on the Boneyard...

Who has said anything negative about these kids in this thread??

There is a quote function. Go ahead and point it out to us please.

pj

Reaction Score

I have a good feeling about these three...I knew they would be good when I saw their tape!

[Just want to get this on the record early.]

Reaction Score

Where are you seeing that all three of our recruits got a bump up in the rankings? I'm not seeing it.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
It's hilarious to me that people still rely on these recruiting rankings and make sweeping judgments on these kids and our program before they even step foot on campus just because some nobody gave them a number.

What's even more funny is that folks here are calling for KO to get canned based on these arbitrary 'rankings' from 'experts'.

Unreal how insecure the UConn fan base has become.

Looking forward to seeing Lukas and James in UConn unis... both look like UConn guys.

Reaction Score
We actually have gotten recruits ranked higher than this.

But we didn't do much/anything with them. So now we don't.
That pretty much sums it up. The problem isn't the AAC. At least, it isn't JUST the AAC and the AAC alone can't limit recruiting. KO is struggling in recruiting now because, as you said, he failed to do anything with his recruits. He was handed a great situation where we were the big fish in the small pond. Our history allowed us to pull in big recruits even though we were in the AAC. But since none of his guys are achieving much, the big recruits are disinterested or concerned. This is a classic downward spiral.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Who has said anything negative about these kids in this thread??

There is a quote function. Go ahead and point it out to us please.

Really??? I won't even go through the entire thread, but here are a few:

247 rankings:
Akinjo-106
Kisunas-143
Matthews-227

247 rankings:
Akinjo-106
Kisunas-143
Matthews-227

Wow.

Reaction Score
Define "great things". And if none of them achieve "great things" will you write something like, "What did people expect KO to achieve with this limited talent? We are in the AAC so don't expect Chris Smith to walk through that door." Of course you will.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom