2018 Recruiting: All 3 of our recruits got a bump up; Kisunas in particular | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2018 Recruiting: All 3 of our recruits got a bump up; Kisunas in particular

Reaction Score
We had a top ten recruiting class in the country last year in the same conference.

Please explain.
This is the new norm we will see goimg forward. Obviously the top 10 recruiting class didn't pay any dividends last year. At least KO couldn't do anything with the talent. Now he will have even less.

pj

Reaction Score
This is the new norm we will see goimg forward. Obviously the top 10 recruiting class didn't pay any dividends last year. At least KO couldn't do anything with the talent. Now he will have even less.

Less is more. That is my prediction.

Reaction Score
Actually, it's more impressive to develop somebody else's recruits than your own. Just like it's more impressive for a business executive to successfully manage someone else's hires than his own.
It would be nice if he could recruit his own players and actually coach them up and develop them. That's kind of what the job entails.

pj

Reaction Score
It would be nice if he could recruit his own players and actually coach them up and develop them. That's kind of what the job entails.

Yes. He's learning on the job, no doubt about that. But there's no reason to think he can't learn. He's changed up the type of players he recruits and the people he has recruiting, so it seems he's learned something.

Reaction Score
bagel & cheese is not an expert, read all of his stuff.

There are not 226 better players than Matthews in this class I promise all of you that. I like this class could care less about rankings. Add Sid Wilson to that list and it's even better. I's not over either there will be an addition by next year could come form HS, 5th year or just a transfer. No matter though, KO has to be sure he's targeting smart basketball players with size and toughness. We've fallen short on the on court intelligence side and mostly on the size. Kisunas is a breath of fresh air for his skill set and size, but we need more. I think with a work out regimen for his strength and his quickness Carlton could be a force eventually and Cobb for one more year after this size wise.

I was not agreeing, just used the reference to answer someone who said there were no negative comments....

Reaction Score
Yes, those last recruits he did have some development with weren't his recruits though.

It's irrelevant though if he developed them.

Napier likely didn't need much, but he did improve from his Sophomore year on.

Giffey, Daniels, Boatright, Nolan all improved a lot.

And of these, Giffey and Nolan were not exactly highly ranked recruits.

Nor was Boatright (though top 100) much sought after. If I remember correctly, it was between him and Hinds at West Virginia.

I don't know what happened after 2014, but neither the recruiting nor the coaching has been strong enough to make strong advances in March, and before someone brings up the AAC, realize that these teams do barely anything in the postseason. In other words, I'm not that impressed!

Reaction Score
I'm showing Emmitt Matthews with a 17 spot drop in the rankings. Pretty steep drop. Kisunas on the other hand shot up 96 spots.

The AAC is having a miserable time so far.

Akinjo at 96 and Hinton at 98 (Houston) are the only 2 top 100s.
Then you have 2 from 100-150, and another 4 from 150-200.

8 in the top 200. Yikes.

Only UConn, Houston and Wichita State are doing anything.
NBE has 4 Top 100s
3 in the 100-150, and 5 from 150-200

A10 has 2 Top 100s
1 in the 100-150, and 3 from 150-200

Those are the conferences that are similar to the AAC's level in terms of basketball. All pretty similar.

Reaction Score
These rankings after a 100 suck. They see these kids maybe play once or twice. Sure Meyer has barely seen Matthews.

Agreed. Theyre just guessing.

Matthews is a tough one to grasde because he never moved to a high.profile hs team

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My God people. The kids coming in fit a profile and a need for the roster we have. Each of them does. Are they McD stars? No. Do you need those players to win? No.

We can say Ollie hasn't developed them or that they failed to develop themselves. I really don't know, and unless you are at every practice, neither do any of you. What I can say without hesitation is that Ollie has not gotten the most from what he has. After the NC team, which overachieved, every other team has underachieved its talent level. Some of that is the guys, but I think most is on the coach who never deployed the guys effectively or put them in positions to succeed.

I think we need to step back a bit from the ledge. Are you guys expecting that we should, within a year or so, be challenging Duke or UK for a spot in the top 10 or a #1 seed? It that what drives this lunacy? That's phase three. Phase one: win 21-22 games and make the tournament. Phase 2: win 25-26 games, win the AAC or second place at worst and get a decent seed in the tournament. Phase three: challenge the big guns as a top tier program.
We are trying to win more games than we lose, and players like these can certainly take us there, and to phase 2. Once we get to phase two, we can expect more top 40 type players.

Reaction Score
Yes. He's learning on the job, no doubt about that. But there's no reason to think he can't learn. He's changed up the type of players he recruits and the people he has recruiting, so it seems he's learned something.

Learning on the job. Say that a couple of times. Then think $3M.

I am pretty sure that when you earn that kind of dough, you are normally required to be pretty good at your job.
I truly hope something changes and things turn around soon. I just don't see us developing an offense that will be competitive with the big boys. Perhaps the break has provided an opportunity to grow as a team. If not, there could be some very tough nights in the near future. The deflation from another Arkansas type game would be troublesome to the team's confidence, in my opinion. Not trying to be negative, just voicing realistic concern.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Actually, it's more impressive to develop somebody else's recruits than your own. Just like it's more impressive for a business executive to successfully manage someone else's hires than his own.

Unless he hires the wrong people...

Reaction Score
These rankings after a 100 suck. They see these kids maybe play once or twice. Sure Meyer has barely seen Matthews.

I would even go as far to say after the top 50 it's all interchangeable with the guys 51-150 more or less. It's all guess work and inexact these scouting services don't see the kids enough and in a structured setting and have no clue how their bodies and inner drive to get better will develop going forward

Reaction Score
Learning on the job. Say that a couple of times. Then think $3M.

I am pretty sure that when you earn that kind of dough, you are normally required to be pretty good at your job.
I truly hope something changes and things turn around soon. I just don't see us developing an offense that will be competitive with the big boys. Perhaps the break has provided an opportunity to grow as a team. If not, there could be some very tough nights in the near future. The deflation from another Arkansas type game would be troublesome to the team's confidence, in my opinion. Not trying to be negative, just voicing realistic concern.

Over the past 10 years only Coach K and good ole Roy have more ncaa championships.

The coaches other than Ollie that have championships during that period have an average years head coach of 31 years.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Over the past 10 years only Coach K and good ole Roy have more ncaa championships.

The coaches other than Ollie that have championships during that period have an average years head coach of 31 years.
So because he won a championship he's no longer required to perform his duties as coach?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
The deflation from another Arkansas type game would be troublesome to the team's confidence, in my opinion. Not trying to be negative, just voicing realistic concern.
We definitely don't respond well to beatings. That's for sure. Very easy to shake this team up.

Reaction Score
So because he won a championship he's no longer required to perform his duties as coach?

He's paid $3 mil cause he won a title. Everyone knew after 2014 it was going to take couple years to really be "full" again after the sanctions and being in AAC. Having all those injuries/transfers last year and then replacing Miller with Chill has put UConn in another situation where 2018 and 2019 recruiting classes and performance of team will decide Ollies fate.

Can't get rid of him now because of team underperforming because you of budget crisis and you will lose Chill along with his connections and clout on the recruiting trail along with the incoming class. That will set UConn back 3-4 years for a complete rebuild in the AAC. A lot of posters are insufferable now I can't imagine their mental state/ health if they get they wish of firing Ollie and seeing the aftermath which they seem oblivious to

Reaction Score
My God people. The kids coming in fit a profile and a need for the roster we have. Each of them does. Are they McD stars? No. Do you need those players to win? No.

We can say Ollie hasn't developed them or that they failed to develop themselves. I really don't know, and unless you are at every practice, neither do any of you. What I can say without hesitation is that Ollie has not gotten the most from what he has. After the NC team, which overachieved, every other team has underachieved its talent level. Some of that is the guys, but I think most is on the coach who never deployed the guys effectively or put them in positions to succeed.

I think we need to step back a bit from the ledge. Are you guys expecting that we should, within a year or so, be challenging Duke or UK for a spot in the top 10 or a #1 seed? It that what drives this lunacy? That's phase three. Phase one: win 21-22 games and make the tournament. Phase 2: win 25-26 games, win the AAC or second place at worst and get a decent seed in the tournament. Phase three: challenge the big guns as a top tier program.
We are trying to win more games than we lose, and players like these can certainly take us there, and to phase 2. Once we get to phase two, we can expect more top 40 type players.
We are sounding like the football board trying to rationalize these lower recruits. Well not that bad of course as the football side is scraping the bottom of the barrel so to speak. Though this is a discouraging sign to not getting higher ranked receuits.

Reaction Score
He's paid $3 mil cause he won a title. Everyone knew after 2014 it was going to take couple years to really be "full" again after the sanctions and being in AAC. Having all those injuries/transfers last year and then replacing Miller with Chill has put UConn in another situation where 2018 and 2019 recruiting classes and performance of team will decide Ollies fate.

Can't get rid of him now because of team underperforming because you of budget crisis and you will lose Chill along with his connections and clout on the recruiting trail along with the incoming class. That will set UConn back 3-4 years for a complete rebuild in the AAC. A lot of posters are insufferable now I can't imagine their mental state/ health if they get they wish of firing Ollie and seeing the aftermath which they seem oblivious to
The aftermath of getting a good coach, oh the horror.

Reaction Score
Name the coach I'll wait...

methodology I share much of the same thoughts you have on the coaching situation. I see your replies to no one, at least for me as I have the posters you are replying to on ignore and you should do the same. They all share the same philosophies agree or not and have a point they really do, but they make their same points all too often. They have no other view on UConn basketball except "fire Ollie" so you really need to just put that posse on hold, you won't win they know all. If our Huskies win a few in a row they will go away I promise. Problem is the next couple weeks will make the posse very happy with that schedule more than likely but you never know, so stay positive and keep up the good fight.;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dan Hurley is 16 games over .500 and his dad hated JC. Also his recruiting at URI mostly mid- lower 200s. Only 1 top 100 and 2 top 200 recruits counting classes 2016-2018 looking at 247

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom