2018 Nike Girls EYBL Tournament starts Fri | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2018 Nike Girls EYBL Tournament starts Fri

Reaction Score
Jordan Horston had one more game left and it was her best yet.

24 points, 8 rebs, 6 assists, 4 stls, 1 blk, 9-12 FG, 3-3 3-pt, 3-4 FT, 0 TO

was UConn watching her this weekend? If not that speaks volumes........

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The Cal Stars lost in the finals of the Gold bracket to Myra Gordon and Endyia Rogers, the latter of whom was one of the best players this weekend.

Haley Jones: 18 points, 5 rebs, 3 assists, 2 stls, 2 blks, 8-15 FG, 1-5 3-pt, 1-1 FT

Cameron Brink: 6 points, 1 reb, 1 assist, 1 blk, 3-5 FG

And Azzi Fudd led the Fairfax Stars to the Platinum title with another ho-hum great game.

Azzi Fudd: 26 points, 3 rebs, 1 assist, 7-12 FG, 2-3 3-pt, 10-11 FT

Sam Brunelle: 19 points, 1 reb, 2 assists, 1 blk, 8-14 FG, 3-8 3-pt

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Paige Bueckers went 6-0 with North Tartan to win the U16 Platinum division:

DbaEvX-XUAQ_359.jpg

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
So to recap the Boo Williams tournament...

Azzi Fudd is amazing. Jordan Horston and Haley Jones both had terrific events. Cameron Brink did as well--she could explode next year. Amari DeBerry had her moments but still shows her youth. Kylee Watson was beyond quiet. Charisma Osborne showed flashes--about 70% of her attempts were threes.

Sam Brunelle was very pedestrian outside of a good finale.

River Baldwin not much of a factor.

Non UConn-connected players to have big weekends include Sarah Andrews, Endiya Rogers, Jada Boyd, Ashley Owusu, and Angel Reese.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Azzi Fudd is amazing. Jordan Horston and Haley Jones both had terrific events. Cameron Brink did as well--she could explode next year. Amari DeBerry had her moments but still shows her youth. Kylee Watson was beyond quiet. Charisma Osborne showed flashes--about 70% of her attempts were threes.

Non UConn-connected players to have big weekends include Sarah Andrews, Endiya Rogers, Jada Boyd, Ashley Owusu, and Angel Reese.
Don't forget this kid:

r299424_600x600_1-1.jpg

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Azzi may have been the best player there. She's 15.

I hope Geno thinks he can coach Horston. She's the next level in terms of athletic gifts.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Don't forget this kid:

Oh I haven't forgotten her. Just didn't want to lump Van Lith in since she played at a different event. J66kicker watched her today and has a couple of posts in the 19-20 recruit thread about his observations. Her team won her pool title today but the boxscore has yet to show up. Ramani Parker (Louisville) also played there and did ok.

She is a very unique player. Probably should have a crash helmet on when she plays. Her player efficiency rating going into today was 24.3, and she led the tourney in scoring (by a lot) and rebounding, plus was third in steals.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I hope Geno thinks he can coach Horston. She's the next level in terms of athletic gifts.

Horston said today that the only officials she currently has scheduled are Louisville, Tennessee, and North Carolina but that she definitely plans to take five "for sure."

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Missed one Cal Stars boxscore from Saturday.

Haley Jones: 16 points, 5 rebs, 7 assists, 6-9 FG, 0-2 3-pt, 4-5 FT

Cameron Brink: 10 points, 12 rebs, 4 assists, 7 blks, 5-9 FG, 0-3 FT

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Tourney averages:

Cameron Brink: 9.5 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 3 apg, 3.8 bpg, 54% FG, 44% FT

Haley Jones: 15.8 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 5.2 apg, 57% FG, 61% FT

Brooke Demetre: 7.7 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 52% FG

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Seeking clarity on Jordan Horston.
@Sluconn Husky & @Charliebball & @MilfordHusky can't recall specifically when this happen but Horston seems to have acquired a non-UCONN kid , at times out of control, "Geno couldn't coach her" kind sort of vibe. I have not seen her play live but at USA basketball when Carla Berube was the coach she made the team, started, played out of position on the wing entirely. I though her and Diamond Miller were both solid on that team. Both at USA basketball trials and during the games she made some spectacular passes off the bounce and she took shots when open. When I watch her play I see a gifted willing defender than can be deployed as a shut down defender & an offensive player that has all the tools to boost a transition game. Where did this vibe come from and what are other people seeing that I may have missed?

Reaction Score
@Sluconn Husky & @Charliebball & @MilfordHusky can't recall specifically when this happen but Horston seems to have acquired a non-UCONN kid , at times out of control, "Geno couldn't coach her" kind sort of vibe. I have not seen her play live but at USA basketball when Carla Berube was the coach she made the team, started, played out of position on the wing entirely. I though her and Diamond Miller were both solid on that team. Both at USA basketball trials and during the games she made some spectacular passes off the bounce and she took shots when open. When I watch her play I see a gifted willing defender than can be deployed as a shut down defender & an offensive player that has all the tools to boost a transition game. Where did this vibe come from and what are other people seeing that I may have missed?

I've seen her a few times in the past....always seemed to be in a big hurry with the ball........a bit out of control .......her outside shot also needed some work..........those were my issues and I assume they would be UConn's issues too.......that said she seems to have matured a lot since last summer, taking on a leadership role..........with the strange case of Brunelle and Jones being a huge question mark, I started to focus on other talented recruits and thus my renewed interest in Horston over the past few months...........other then Correa who is a very "nice" player, UConn seems to be putting all of it's wing/guard eggs in the Jones basket.............with her great athleticism and defensive prowess alone, Horston should certainly be considered at this point but I said the same thing about Mikayla Coombs and Geno seemed less then thrilled with her play this past season.........I won't even go there..........

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
@Sluconn Husky & @Charliebball & @MilfordHusky can't recall specifically when this happen but Horston seems to have acquired a non-UCONN kid , at times out of control, "Geno couldn't coach her" kind sort of vibe.

Yeah, I don't know about all of those descriptions but she seemed really unsure of how to play with the American team. But when you throw a bunch of random players together quickly some can get lost in the fog. But she gets rave reviews and was terrific last weekend. I kinda doubt we'll get her but she's intriguing.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Geno and the Muffster watching a U16 game Saturday night, likely one involving Paige Bueckers.

Geno and the Muffster? LoL in a serious way. I'm starting to write lyrics to it to the tune of "Benny and the Jets" :rolleyes: ;) Well done....

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Notre Dame board claiming Brunelle had a good tourney. Hmmm, must be two different Brunelles.

Hey Sluconn:
I just came from the Bench. I think that was one comment, which last I checked, does not make a board :confused:. BTW, stay awhile next time. ;)

Switching coasts, turns out one of our benchers saw Van Lith played and he admitted that she was not what he initially expected. Instead of a lithe, Paige Bueckers-type, he found Van Lith very aggressive, played at an intense pace and reminded him more of a cross between Ionescu and Ogunbowale (spell those two names fast...now again ;))

Lastly, that's pretty wild that the Cal Stars flew east. Wanted to be at Boo? Nike Team? Combo thereof? Good move getting them up to Storrs..who was that with Haley, members of the team?

Thanks again for the reports...greatly appreciated.

Reaction Score
Switching coasts, turns out one of our benchers saw Van Lith played and he admitted that she was not what he initially expected. Instead of a lithe, Paige Bueckers-type, he found Instead Lith very aggressive, played at an intense pace and reminded him more of a cross between Ionescu and Ogunbowale (spell those two names fast...now again ;))

Lastly, that's pretty wild that the Cal Stars flew east. Wanted to be at Boo? Nike Team? Combo thereof? Good move getting them up to Storrs..who was that with Haley, members of the team?

Thanks again for the reports...greatly appreciated.
That’s not a bad description of Van Lith. I saw her play yesterday and there’s nothing “lithe” about her. Very strong - almost “stocky,” very big for her height. Not as athletic as Ogumbowale, but she’s fast. And her game isn’t nearly as refined as Ionescu’s, but there’s no reason it should be for a ‘20 prospect.

She couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn from 10’ out, but that didn’t stop her from trying. And she could do no wrong driving the lane against 1, 2, 3 defenders, didn’t matter - she was money inside all day. Seemed like she got fouled every time, and she made her free throws.

Extremely talented passer, but some razzle dazzle passes were just borderline showmanship, especially one no-look, behind-the-back missile - right on target, but it bounced off the unsuspecting recipient for a turnover. She needs to develop more of a sensitivity and communication with her teammates, who actually need to anticipate and catch the passes. This will come.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
That’s not a bad description of Van Lith. I saw her play yesterday and there’s nothing “lithe” about her. Very strong - almost “stocky,” very big for her height. Not as athletic as Ogumbowale, but she’s fast. And her game isn’t nearly as refined as Ionescu’s, but there’s no reason it should be for a ‘20 prospect.

She couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn from 10’ out, but that didn’t stop her from trying. And she could do no wrong driving the lane against 1, 2, 3 defenders, didn’t matter - she was money inside all day. Seemed like she got fouled every time, and she made her free throws.

Extremely talented passer, but some razzle dazzle passes were just borderline showmanship, especially one no-look, behind-the-back missile - right on target, but it bounced off the unsuspecting recipient for a turnover. She needs to develop more of a sensitivity and communication with her teammates, who actually need to anticipate and catch the passes. This will come.

Great report, thanks. Sounds like she's got her own distinct set of attributes. Our Bencher thought she'd need some acclimation and/or coaching to fit within offensive sets that Geno and/or MM run, but that this could happen because of her talent. Easier to downshift a bit than give the pedal to the metal when there's nothing there, right?

Reaction Score
Geno and the Muffster? LoL in a serious way. I'm starting to write lyrics to it to the tune of "Benny and the Jets" :rolleyes: ;) Well done....
I've been putting off stating the obvious but can't take it any longer.
Of course Geno isn't seated. Being the gentleman that he is he gave up his tuffet for Little Miss Muffet

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom