2018 New York Mets season thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2018 New York Mets season thread

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
I think they'll be okay with the combined numbers of Plawecki and Darnaud. I mean if you could pick up a huge upgrade you do it, but otherwise they're keeping these guys fresh alternating them. A different approach to the "everyday catcher" sacred cow.

js...i'd take that sacred cow right about now

Reaction Score
js...i'd take that sacred cow right about now

Unbelievable. If there is a saving Grace is that they are both bad offensively and defensively. Collectively I was hoping they could be decent by keeping them fresh.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
Unbelievable. If there is a saving Grace is that they are both bad offensively and defensively. Collectively I was hoping they could be decent by keeping them fresh.

in theory, that principle may still work out in the Tomas Nido/Jose Lobaton combination we are about to run out there. those guys are at least defensively capable

Nationals DFA'ing Miguel Montero but he's really bad in keeping guys from running too

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score

not going to happen but i'd be hyped about this move provided we don't trade Nimmo (or Rosario, but I doubt they'd ask) for him. as i said, though - not rly making trades in April and Sandy isn't a quick mover anyway

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Same old Harvey. Thank God this is the last year of pretending he’s still salvageable. Trade him for a ham sandwich this season if someone offers.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Harvey to the pen. This isn’t going to end well in a contract year, but it’s what needs to happen barring an injury to another starter.

Reaction Score
Harvey to the pen. This isn’t going to end well in a contract year, but it’s what needs to happen barring an injury to another starter.

Props to Callaway for not letting any Harvey drama linger too long into the season. He's seen enough and that's that. To the pen until you're better. If you get worse, released or to AAA.

And, if mopping up 5th and 6th inning type work doesn't solve his issues either his head or his arm are really gone for good.

Reaction Score
Well, after that great start.....

1) deGrom is hurt (hopefully nothing serious)
2) Frazier is hurt (hopefully nothing serious) and we're one little injury from Reyes playing every day
3) The catching position is an even worse mess than it's been in recent years and dragging down the entire staff's performance
4) We just traded Matt Harvey for an oft-injured middle of the road catcher who won't improve that position much, if any.
5) Jason Vargas stinks. Like bad.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Well, after that great start.....

1) deGrom is hurt (hopefully nothing serious)
2) Frazier is hurt (hopefully nothing serious) and we're one little injury from Reyes playing every day
3) The catching position is an even worse mess than it's been in recent years and dragging down the entire staff's performance
4) We just traded Matt Harvey for an oft-injured middle of the road catcher who won't improve that position much, if any.
5) Jason Vargas stinks. Like bad.
6) We just batted out of order and had a double taken away

M-E-T-S, Mets, Mets, Mets!

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
The wheels are coming off. The 12-2 start was Fool’s Gold. This is who we really are.
And you all know how I have ragged on this org for its ignoring the catching. The prize we got for Harvey got the collar yesterday. The position this year has to be .200 overall, and I think it’s what, 8 RBIs?

Reaction Score
Regardless of what happens this season, I’m a Wheeler fan. I like how he never complains, works hard, has taken his lumps and is a smart pitcher. I feel like (or maybe wishful thinking) that the older he gets, the better he may get from being more cerebral?

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what's worse? The actual Mets season or this thread.

Just cut Adrian Gonzalez to bring up Dom Smith. Familia on the DL with a shoulder issue. And a laundry list of other problems.

Cuncel da saeson?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what's worse? The actual Mets season or this thread.

Just cut Adrian Gonzalez to bring up Dom Smith. Familia on the DL with a shoulder issue. And a laundry list of other problems.

Cuncel da saeson?
If you were GM, would you entertain offers for deGrom and Syndergaard--even from the likes of the Yankees--if we could get back multiple top prospects in return?

I don't know how I feel about that, but I am starting to see it mentioned (in the NYT and ESPN this weekend, among other places).

I do know we are mostly constructed as a "win now" team and several keys to that strategy have been plagued with injuries, so I don't think we have a realistic shot at that becoming reality.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
If you were GM, would you entertain offers for deGrom and Syndergaard--even from the likes of the Yankees--if we could get back multiple top prospects in return?

I don't know how I feel about that, but I am starting to see it mentioned (in the NYT and ESPN this weekend, among other places).

I do know we are mostly constructed as a "win now" team and several keys to that strategy have been plagued with injuries, so I don't think we have a realistic shot at that becoming reality.

Yes, you trade them. The Met offense is so awful, you could lose with a starting 5 of Koufax, Cy Young, Bob Gibson, etc etc etc. Maximize return now, because even these guys can't fix what is broken on this team - hitting and the farm.

Reaction Score

Maybe a weird answer to the question, but I'd trade Syndergaard. Why? I don't think he can throw as hard as he does and NOT eventually have Tommy John. My fear with him is, signing him to a huge contract, then popping his elbow. Out for a year, the next year is a slow road back and next thing you know it's 3 years or more before he's our stopper ace (if he's even that now).

deGrom has already had TJ, as has Matz and Wheeler. I'd throw the bank account at deGrom and keep him here.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'd throw the bank account at deGrom and keep him here.
Yeah, I think he may be the only guy on the entire roster I'd consider untouchable. It would kill me to see him go elsewhere--especially the Yankees.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Yeah I'd rather trade Thor than deGrom. The problem is, you're not going to get as much for Syndergaard as you would for deGrom; he's our true ace.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I mean, I'm trying to stay interested. Trying to watch the games and have some hope.

And they just keep ripping my heart out and stomping on it.

Brutal.

Reaction Score
And I'm now officially confused on this Jose Reyes issue. I get he's a Mets hall of famer and, in his prime, was one of the most electric players to ever put on the uniform. I think he's good in the locker room (maybe moreso with the Latino players). But he's gotten way, way, WAY past the point where anyone would look poorly on the Mets for releasing him.

Best case? He gets hot for a stretch? We're 7 games under .500 right now. What impact is he going to really have on making that any better? And, worst case, we get hit with more injuries and he's forced to play every day.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Season’s over, blow it all up. Nobody should be off the table, but agree Jake should stay unless some team is willing to pony up huge.
They can’t hit. At all.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom