2018 New Targets - Freshmen and Grad Transfers | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2018 New Targets - Freshmen and Grad Transfers

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'm not talking about Hurley. I'm talking about Jay Wright.

lol I took your post to mean (in reply to the guy wondering how we could compete with that), "don't worry, elite coaching beats elite recruiting....and we have an elite coach."

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
lol I took your post to mean (in reply to the guy wondering how we could compete with that), "don't worry, elite coaching beats elite recruiting....and we have an elite coach."

Haha no, I was referencing that Jay Wright has some elite recruits but it’s really his coaching that gets the job done

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
A lot of people saw Brunson in HS and made Shabazz comparisons. He’s a product of environment. He almost played for Dunphy. Instead he played for a coach that turned him into a college legend. Why are we hating. Everyone should be a fan of Brunson. He embodies what is cool about college basketball. He probably will still get drafted in the second round, and pass 90% of people drafted before him.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
A lot of people saw Brunson in HS and made Shabazz comparisons. He’s a product of environment. He almost played for Dunphy. Instead he played for a coach that turned him into a college legend. Why are we hating. Everyone should be a fan of Brunson. He embodies what is cool about college basketball. He probably will still get drafted in the second round, and pass 90% of people drafted before him.

Nobody's hating.

Reaction Score
Jay Wright coaches circles around 97% of other college coaches. That's why Nova is so good. He made Bill Self look like Bill Self.
Last night was a matter of a shooting clinic. Any time Kansas cut the lead to 14 or 11, Nova would hit a 3 and deflate them. He's a great coach, but last night he had 5 guys on floor who could hit 3s and they all were hitting them.

Not much you can do when Pachall hits a 3 at the shot clock buzzer from 25 feet off a loose ball scramble.

Reaction Score
Here's the thing, though... Nova does not typically light the world on fire w/ their recruiting classes.

Spellman #20
Brunson #22

Bridges #81
Booth #75
Cosby-Roundtree #97
Gillepsie #200
DiVincenzo #124
Paschall #210.

Nova is actually built quite similarly to the classic UConn teams. One or two 5 star guys and then a bunch of other players who were coached up. Jay Wright runs a great system, recruits the right guys for said system, and then makes them better year after year. On paper, they do not have as much talent as the other 1 seeds. But they are far and away the best team.

And 5+ guys who can hit a 3. Moneyball.

Reaction Score
Last night was a matter of a shooting clinic. Any time Kansas cut the lead to 14 or 11, Nova would hit a 3 and deflate them. He's a great coach, but last night he had 5 guys on floor who could hit 3s and they all were hitting them.

Not much you can do when Pachall hits a 3 at the shot clock buzzer from 25 feet off a loose ball scramble.
14 was the closest they got, actually think the refs did their best to keep Kansas from losing by 30. Last night was not at all Self's fault, he ran into a buzzsaw. This season is maybe Self's best ever coaching job.

Reaction Score
14 was the closest they got, actually think the refs did their best to keep Kansas from losing by 30. Last night was not at all Self's fault, he ran into a buzzsaw. This season is maybe Self's best ever coaching job.
I could have sworn they got it to 11, but yeah, it was just lights out shooting. Self was helpless to stem the tide. Plus Brunson is such a smooth under control leader in the floor. Special college player. Not dynamic like Kemba and Bazz, but very special in always keeping them from getting out of control.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

Agree. But Self did nothing to adjust. Nova's looks were almost always uncontested. I suppose last night wasn't as much pro-Wright as it was anti-Self.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Agree. But Self did nothing to adjust. Nova's looks were almost always uncontested. I suppose last night wasn't as much pro-Wright as it was anti-Self.

Nova gets looks whenever they want them against most teams. Those guys can not only all shoot 3s, but they all move without the ball and can all pass. It's damn near impossible to stop 5 guys hunting threes.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

They adjusted and pushed out the defense on the perimeter. The result was a parade of layups and dunks by Nova. They got tons in the last ten minutes as KU tried to stop the threes.

There’s just nothing much you can do when a team shoots that well from everywhere on the floor.

Reaction Score
This should be an exciting next month or so as we see how this roster shapes up for next year.
I am very much looking forward to the day when the roof is blown off the BY when it's posted that DH has landed the commitment of his first top-50 prospect. Right now the BY is like a pressurized pinata ready to explode and rain candy down on all of us.

Reaction Score
I am very much looking forward to the day when the roof is blown off the BY when it's posted that Coach Hurley has landed the commitment of his first top-50 prospect. Right now the BY is like a pressurized pinata ready to explode and rain candy down on all of us.

He's got till Friday 5 pm to complete this or I'm off the Hurley bandwagon .

Reaction Score
Does anyone know how UConn missed on Spellman? Was it because he was a possible academic problem and we passed on him because of the past APR problems?

C

Chief00

Interest/lack of interest in Chill was the “national” barometer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom