2018 New Targets - Freshmen and Grad Transfers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2018 New Targets - Freshmen and Grad Transfers

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I don't know who we are recruiting for 2018 but we need a pg and shooting and these are the best of the uncommitted players
Best available 2018 point guards:
Brandon Williams 6'2"
Courtney Ramey 6'3"
Jimmy Akinjo 5'11"
Tyler Harris 5'9"

Shooting/combo guards:
Romeo Langford 6'5"
Devonaire Doutrive 6'5"
Myreon Jones 6'3"
Malik Riddle 6'4"

A lot of these guys are from the west and the south.

I'm not optimistic that Hurley will be bringing anyone in from these areas.

Reaction Score
I'm not optimistic that Hurley will be bringing anyone in from these areas.
Agreed, especially given what Hurley said at his presser (for those who missed it, that his recruiting footprint is New England and the Mid-Atlantic and his staffing hires would reflect that) so I don't expect any 2018 recruits outside that area either. You would think his best relationships as of right now are within that recruiting footprint.

Fortunately, if this is what Hurley wants to do, it seems that New England and the Mid-Atlantic are stacked with talent over the next few years.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

I know nothing about him other than what Evans has here

His best offers were Georgia and USF. That combined with Hurley's lack of connections down south makes me think there's no chance we'd be in on him.

Reaction Score
For those of you with The Athletic accounts, here's their list of transfers:

The Fieldhouse's College Basketball Transfer Tracker (updates page)
Notable college basketball transfers (confirmed transfers)

Blake Francis is one transfer that I don't think anyone else has mentioned. Former Wagner guard, 6'1 165 who averaged 17.3 ppg with 3.2 3s/game @ 40.2 3% clip and 80.6% FT with 3.4 attempts/game. He has two years of eligibility so could be an interesting long-term piece. Plus, there's the Hurley connection @ Wagner. Only major downside is that Francis averages 1.7 assists/game, so at 6'1, he's more of an undersized 2 guard. He recently got an offer from Richmond.

Reaction Score
Agreed, especially given what Hurley said at his presser (for those who missed it, that his recruiting footprint is New England and the Mid-Atlantic and his staffing hires would reflect that) so I don't expect any 2018 recruits outside that area either. You would think his best relationships as of right now are within that recruiting footprint.

Fortunately, if this is what Hurley wants to do, it seems that New England and the Mid-Atlantic are stacked with talent over the next few years.
JC changed that by recruiting nationally and it worked out pretty well. I guess there are more than one way to build a program.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

He also has the UCONN brand and resources to go after some of these kids. Maybe not the first year or two but once things start rolling I don’t see why not

Reaction Score
Just because Hurley stated that he will concentrate on the east coast does not mean Uconn will stop recruiting nationally or even internationally all together. That would be dumb.
This makes so much sense. First of all, if you look at Moore, he is responsible for bringing Ray, Okafor, etc. He obviously has experience recruiting outside of the Mid-Atlantic and NE region and has brought us some pretty amazing players. I doubt he’d say well, I’m going to pass on the next Ray Allen because he’s in SC when we’re only looking at NJ...

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
You could make a great team out of New England recruits. I don’t care if he doesn’t leave the state for our next recruiting class honestly.

I agree but the next month or two I would be fine with going outside of New England of it brought in a couple of solid players.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I agree but the next month or two I would be fine with going outside of New England of it brought in a couple of solid players.
Yeah he'll probably need to get more creative if he wants to have a good season next year.

But I couldn't stand the amount of top New England recruits Ollie lost/didn't show much interest in. Even this year you had

Naz Reid-LSU
Moses Brown-UCLA
Cole Swider-Villanova
David Duke and AJ Reeves-Providence

Among others.

Reaction Score

Not to mention Jay Wright has shown that if you get the right kids from mostly this area...Brunson aside you can do pretty well.

Reaction Score
Not to mention Jay Wright has shown that if you get the right kids from mostly this area...Brunson aside you can do pretty well.
Over the past 10 years if we just drew a border around New England and got, say, 50% of the best talent, we'd have been to the final four half a dozen times. It's really frustrating we weren't able to capitalize on that more.

Anyway, even if Hurley never goes west of the Hudson or south of Cape May there'll be more than enough talent to recruit. And I honestly like the fact that he's talking about being more targeted and concentrated than the previous staff – who offered everybody under the sun.

Anyway, give me Jalen Lecque, Micah Seaborn and Ryan Luther this spring, and I'll be good.

Reaction Score
I don’t know who we’re going to get but watching these teams play tonight, especially Nova, I’m wondering how we can get this kind of talent. This is a very high mountain Hurley has to climb.

Reaction Score
I don’t know who we’re going to get but watching these teams play tonight, especially Nova, I’m wondering how we can get this kind of talent. This is a very high mountain Hurley has to climb.

Here's the thing, though... Nova does not typically light the world on fire w/ their recruiting classes.

Spellman #20
Brunson #22

Bridges #81
Booth #75
Cosby-Roundtree #97
Gillepsie #200
DiVincenzo #124
Paschall #210.

Nova is actually built quite similarly to the classic UConn teams. One or two 5 star guys and then a bunch of other players who were coached up. Jay Wright runs a great system, recruits the right guys for said system, and then makes them better year after year. On paper, they do not have as much talent as the other 1 seeds. But they are far and away the best team.

Reaction Score
Over the past 10 years if we just drew a border around New England and got, say, 50% of the best talent, we'd have been to the final four half a dozen times. It's really frustrating we weren't able to capitalize on that more.

Anyway, even if Hurley never goes west of the Hudson or south of Cape May there'll be more than enough talent to recruit. And I honestly like the fact that he's talking about being more targeted and concentrated than the previous staff – who offered everybody under the sun.

Anyway, give me Jalen Lecque, Micah Seaborn and Ryan Luther this spring, and I'll be good.
Already a huge departure from the last staff, so refreshing.

Reaction Score
By having a plan and loving the process of recruiting. We'll get there and I think it will be quicker than people think.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

Elite coach > elite recruiting (unless it's a future NBA HOF)

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Here's the thing, though... Nova does not typically light the world on fire w/ their recruiting classes.

Spellman #20
Brunson #22

Bridges #81
Booth #75
Cosby-Roundtree #97
Gillepsie #200
DiVincenzo #124
Paschall #210.

Nova is actually built quite similarly to the classic UConn teams. One or two 5 star guys and then a bunch of other players who were coached up. Jay Wright runs a great system, recruits the right guys for said system, and then makes them better year after year. On paper, they do not have as much talent as the other 1 seeds. But they are far and away the best team.

I've posted this a few times, but it's worth repeating:

Nova recruiting class rankings:

From 247
2015 - 29
2014 - 48
2013 - 36
2012 - 27
From ESPN
2015 - 24
2014 - 37
2013 - 31
2012 - >25

Those classes led to the 2016 NC.

Their 2016 class rankings were 45 and 33 respectively.

They're very likely looking at NC#2 out of them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom