2017 UConn Spring Practice Updates | Page 22 | The Boneyard

2017 UConn Spring Practice Updates

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
... and Foley has three times as many games played. Always room for improvement but he got out techniqued by a veteran.

and he will be playing against guys this season that are even better than Foley. college football isn't freshmen v. freshmen, soph v. soph etc. if your playing you need to be ready to go against the best at all times. there comes a time when guys need to be held accountable and we as a fan base cannot be ok with accepting mediocrity. like you said he got out techniqued by a veteran but when you look at the tape and realize he utilized no technique what so ever and just tried to out muscle a guy then that is alarming. it simply will not work at this level.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
this is exactly what i was talking about with Peart, he plays so high, doesn't use technique or leverage to gain control. he has a long way to go.
As I said from time to time last year, Knappe was a huge offender in this area. The guy was a man mountain but had guys stand him up routinely.

Reaction Score
Really shouldn't come as a surprise to hear any of this. The roster is a mess. Diaco recruited at a FCS level. We had a lot of posters claim it was mostly coaching (and a lot of it certainly was), but we just don't have the talent right now. This is gonna take a while.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
We had six combined years of the stupid twins and Crazy Bob. We know Edsall is a good builder which would suggest he can also rebuild. But, we simply cannot expect much this season. There is simply too much to address with depth and new schemes.

Diaco, more than anything else may have screwed the roster. His recruiting was always a head scratcher to me. I never understood what he was trying to accomplish and now I'm pretty sure he didn't know what he wanted to accomplish.

He and his agent wanted to collect 3.4 million $$$ without having to pass Go. Mission accomplished. They ended up owning Park Place and The Boardwalk with hotels for accomplishing less than nothing. They're laughing all the way to their respective banks.

Reaction Score
Really shouldn't come as a surprise to hear any of this. The roster is a mess. Diaco recruited at a FCS level. We had a lot of posters claim it was mostly coaching (and a lot of it certainly was), but we just don't have the talent right now. This is gonna take a while.

At least, now, Edsall 2.0 doesn't appear to be settling when it comes to recruiting so far... bringing in transfers from the FBS level , or that clearly are FBS level talent, that will help NOW is a clear sign of that....

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score

I'm not going to disagree with you, although I don't think we have any idea what level of talent we have. Diaco clearly couldn't develop players either. I hold out hope that there's something to work with, because we were actually competitive through the first 4 games of the season against three FBS opponents. I know too of them were awful, but at least it's something to keep me from utter despair.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to disagree with you, although I don't think we have any idea what level of talent we have. Diaco clearly couldn't develop players either. I hold out hope that there's something to work with, because we were actually competitive through the first 4 games of the season against three FBS opponents. I know too of them were awful, but at least it's something to keep me from utter despair.

It was more than 4 games. I thought the Cincy win was our best effort of the year, and we did fine against UCF other than having every big and key play go against us. And then it fell apart.

I know we're not good, but I'm not sure whether the "real" UConn was the first 7 or 8 games or the last 4 or 5. We'll see soon enough.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It may take an entire season to teach the linemen proper technique but in time Peart will be as good as any LT we've had and our O'Line will get fixed.

One thing glaring in the earlier clips was that our offensive linemen need to continue working the sleds and get more comfortable with playing lower. Their collective backsides were too high. Similar to an infielder taking ground balls, you need to lower your ass, which will lower your upper body while maintaining balance and position. That is how you bend at the knees instead of the waist.

Reaction Score
The Peart - Fatukasi matchup is a bad one in that drill. There's no recognition for the defender to make and a board to prevent the o-lineman from taking an angle. He didn't win the battle but he wasn't terrible. The delayed start by Foley actually allowed him to wait for Peart to rise up a little higher. Sneaky Dude:) That was the key to letting him use his lower body strength. Those long legs don't help a guy in that drill but they might in other areas.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As I know from my golf game it is really hard d to change bad habits and easy to go back to them. But I really love ol' JB Holmes to get it corrected over time. Edsall said after the first practice that he had a bunch of waist benders on the oline and that it wS the unit needing the most work. So expecting those guys to be there after 14 practices is probably asking too much.

Reaction Score
As I said from time to time last year, Knappe was a huge offender in this area. The guy was a man mountain but had guys stand him up routinely.
Did he ever take a 3-point stance?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom