2017 UConn Football Coaching Staff (official) | Page 10 | The Boneyard

2017 UConn Football Coaching Staff (official)

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Oh vey. I would assume that Benedict came up with the idea and made the initial call to Lashlee. But guess what? Edsall is his boss and if an SEC school calls BEnedict with an offer, he's gone tomorrow. This doesn't work -- especially with the pay cut -- if Edsall isn't selling it, and if Edsall didn't really want him here he would have known how to communicate that without saying it and this wouldn't have happened.
Randy develops young coaches. Randy develops players. Lashlee gets away from Malzahn, runs his own offense and learns how to be a head coach from a really organized coach who has lots of experience. This is a win win for Lashlee, UCONN and props to Randy for feeling comfortable enough in his own skin to bring in Lashlee.

Reaction Score
So we have to know who the DC is tomorrow, right?

Reaction Score
So we have to know who the DC is tomorrow, right?

In a fair world, a number of posters would be apologizing for their lunacy in worrying that this took an extra 24 hours. God forbid.

It being the Boneyard, don't hold your breath. We will be fine with Edsall and Wholly on the staff whomever the DC ends up being. Just need to get everyone out on the recruiting trail and see what we can do. By the way -- I think a healthy BS can run the Auburn offense fine. I hope the chance to play for a Malzahn disciple is exciting to him.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Oh vey. I would assume that Benedict came up with the idea and made the initial call to Lashlee. But guess what? Edsall is his boss and if an SEC school calls BEnedict with an offer, he's gone tomorrow. This doesn't work -- especially with the pay cut -- if Edsall isn't selling it, and if Edsall didn't really want him here he would have known how to communicate that without saying it and this wouldn't have happened.

OK, I'll take your word for it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm guessing the conversation went something like this...

DB: So for offensive coordinator... The last Coach didn't want to listen to me but you are going to have to. I want Rhett Lashlee and we can get him. Thoughts?

RE: Uh, OK.

I'll bet $1 that there wasn't any conversation like that at all.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
It seems reasonable to assume that Benedict, through his Auburn connections, heard Lashlee wanted out and/or was being pushed out, and initiated discussions. How much of a say did Edsall have? Who knows. But he'd be dumb not to sign off on bringing in a bright young offensive mind with recruiting chops. So I'd think he got on the phone and enthusiastically promised to give RL control.

Reaction Score
Boy do I look silly. :oops:

As+a+recently+married+man+i+can+confirm+this+_1eef7e459f5ec0f3336815233aca440c.jpg

;);)

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
Got to be excited about how this is shaping up. Love Richardson back cultivating RBs and Wholly working LBs. Both positions are historically hallmark strengths of our program. With our new OC, we should see some explosive dynamics. The missing piece is a solid QB. Need a JUCO QB big time.
DW can run this offense. Emphasis on run. Kid is explosive and fast. Pair that with an entire off season of grooming by the new OC in the passing game and he will be dynamic. I think he was in this similar offense in HS. The competition will start to get much better this year and next with Jordan McAfee and whomever else they bring in. I would not be shocked now one bit if we see a big time surprise commit in the next few days. This is a big time game changer for us.
The previous regime had zero clue about play calling. We know that. We need to remember that.

Reaction Score
DW can run this offense. Emphasis on run. Kid is explosive and fast. Pair that with an entire off season of grooming by the new OC in the passing game and he will be dynamic. I think he was in this similar offense in HS. The competition will start to get much better this year and next with Jordan McAfee and whomever else they bring in. I would not be shocked now one bit if we see a big time surprise commit in the next few days. This is a big time game changer for us.
The previous regime had zero clue about play calling. We know that. We need to remember that.

While I question his arm strength, and still want Shirreffs back, I do wonder if in a run 71% offense, with the QB getting a good number of those carries, Tyler Davis doesn't need to get another look at QB. Especially this year where we still have plenty of TEs and probably will use them a lot less.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
While I question his arm strength, and still want Shirreffs back, I do wonder if in a run 71% offense, with the QB getting a good number of those carries, Tyler Davis doesn't need to get another look at QB. Especially this year where we still have plenty of TEs and probably will use them a lot less.
Not a horrible idea.

Reaction Score
His performance in the Blue/White game last spring showed that he needs a LOT of help with his passing game! As bad as people say Williams was in 3 games..I thought Davis was much worse in the spring game.

Reaction Score
John Franklin graduated and was lured to Auburn by Lashlee. Kid from FSU and featured on Last Chance U. Has his warts if you've seen the show, but an electric playmaker.

Reaction Score
His performance in the Blue/White game last spring showed that he needs a LOT of help with his passing game! As bad as people say Williams was in 3 games..I thought Davis was much worse in the spring game.

Don't get me wrong -- from what I saw, Davis does not have the arm to be a QB at this level. But if our options are Williams and Davis, I could see Davis being a much better runner.

That having been said, even besides Lashlee's rolodex we just became a more interesting destination for a grad student transfer leaving a P-5 school. I'm frankly excited to see how it plays out.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Would assume that after hiring Richardson and Corey, HCRE thought he needed not to fill the rest of the offensive staff until he had his OC's input. Still would like Foley, but if Malzohn's offense requires different OL techniques, so be it.
Was thinking the same thing. And with OCRL being young, and maybe without a lot of good OL coach connections willing to follow him to CT, perhaps HCRE can prevail on him to at least give Foley a fair hearing. One can hope anyway.

Reaction Score

Davis would seem to be a durable big athlete after getting TE reps last season. Seemed to have decent running instincts in HS from the pocket as well. We're not as deep at QB as we are at TE.

Reaction Score

Nebrich never lit it up in Spring nor did Joe Williams.

Reaction Score
We need coaches that clearly fit our recruiting footprint ... as HCRE did before. I don't think we ever saw a hint of that with PP or Diaco (with notable exception of Poindexter, Corley, Brown, Lineburg having VA connect). Foley got good kids from NE; Orlando kids from Western PA; Ambrose kids from MD ... and Richardson.

OCRL can fit the WR and OL to his structure. But we also need to get 10-15 more kids this Feb.

Reaction Score
We need coaches that clearly fit our recruiting footprint ... as HCRE did before. I don't think we ever saw a hint of that with PP or Diaco (with notable exception of Poindexter, Corley, Brown, Lineburg having VA connect). Foley got good kids from NE; Orlando kids from Western PA; Ambrose kids from MD ... and Richardson.

OCRL can fit the WR and OL to his structure. But we also need to get 10-15 more kids this Feb.

As we all know, coach's words are meaningless, but Edsall did say he was not going to rush to use all our available scholarships, and if he couldn't find players whom he thought could help us he'd just wait a year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom