2017 Recruiting Thread | Page 53 | The Boneyard

2017 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Aman is reporting that Burnett will be visiting Storrs this weekend.

I think it was Aman, but maybe someone else, who said we are recruiting this kid as a wide receiver. He's fluid and racked up a ton of yards and TDs as a scrambling QB (49 in the air and on the ground). At 6ft and 190, the kid looks like someone in the mold of Beals who is 6'1 and 185. Similar level of agility.

Reaction Score
I think it was Aman, but maybe someone else, who said we are recruiting this kid as a wide receiver. He's fluid and racked up a ton of yards and TDs as a scrambling QB (49 in the air and on the ground). At 6ft and 190, the kid looks like someone in the mold of Beals who is 6'1 and 185. Similar level of agility.

Receiver would make sense. He looked more like an athlete than a QB from his Hudl - he wasn't even playing QB in it the entire time.

Reaction Score
not true at all, NFL centers on average are 6'2 1/2. ill take a savvy undersized lineman over a lazy oaf any day.

Centers do seem to be much shorter than the other O-line positions.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
Centers do seem to be much shorter than the other O-line positions.

they are usually the home for undersized linemen because that is where the most combo blocks happen as well as the slower linemen tend to be (on the defensive side of the ball). if your small but play with good leverage you can be a dynamic center. my center when I played was 5'10 standing on a shoe box and he ended up being all state, same with the OC I currently work with.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
Chris Elmore is a 6-0 270lb DT from Philips High in Chicago Ill (Q. Skanes' alma mater). Current offers from Syracuse, Buffalo, Western Michigan, Central Michigan, FAU. Miami Ohio and Wyoming.

“Western Michigan is still there. They are still one of my top choices,” Elmore said. “Syracuse is in there and I’ll be taking a visit there this weekend, UConn has also gotten into the mix a little bit and I’ve been talking to their new coaching staff.

>>With UConn introducing new head coach Randy Edsall late last month, Elmore is just starting to familiarize himself with the Huskies, but a former teammate of his is already in Storrs. “I’ve talked to Quayvon (Skanes) about it and he loves it there,” Elmore said. “He is on a good road, so hopefully he will be playing a lot next year because he redshirted this past year.”<<

Junior Highlights - Chris Elmore

interesting kid, hes a bit small to play DL but a bit big for DE, for sure has great speed and tremendous get off, beat most OL off the ball on those plays, showed great handwork and technique fighting over blocks and shedding them to make the tackle. also great play recognition, if he can put on some weight he could be a great DT for us.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You guys have a point with the short OL thing; however, the only guy I saw at 6'1 who made any real noise at the FBS, in terms of being viewed as a NFL Draft prospect was the kid from Geogia Tech... His name escapes me though... That was a few years ago...

Not knocking the size thing on OL whatsoever, it's just that it is not commonplace (anymore) to see a 6'1 and under OL at the FBS level... If we're recruiting to play on OL there's gotta be something special about him... In Edsall I trust... He's gotten us quite a few gems over his 1st go round...

Reaction Score
We are starting very late this recruiting cycle (obviously). While there is no point recruiting players who have no shot at helping us, the realistic goals are (i) to improve the class from what they were handed when Edsall took over, (ii) to remake the class to fit our new systems better, and (iii) to not take athletes who, while the best we can get, have little chance to ever help us win.

The point being, our metrics for this very short cycle may be more flexible than what you will see for 2018 recruiting.

Reaction Score
Edsall pulled Sean Davis out of Maret (same as Garrison Burnett) while at Maryland. Davis had amazing tape in HS, but the competition was low so he didn't get many offers. Davis was the defense ROY for the Pittsburgh Steelers this season.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
interesting kid, hes a bit small to play DL but a bit big for DE, for sure has great speed and tremendous get off, beat most OL off the ball on those plays, showed great handwork and technique fighting over blocks and shedding them to make the tackle. also great play recognition, if he can put on some weight he could be a great DT for us.

And he plays with some tenacity. Reminds me of Campenni who also was on the shorter side, but made up for it with a square build.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
So maybe this weekend ends up with Blackshear, Gardner, Pindell, Burnett and Brown. That's what I am hoping for, plus a couple surprises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom