2017 Recruiting Thread | Page 71 | The Boneyard

2017 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm sure there is.... and yeah I get the Rutgers thing too. Most kids do... They might be having their growing pains like us, but realistically speaking, they're in a better spot (B1G) and growing... While we're where we're at. We are set up to do great things going forward. My hope with Blackshear is that he crosses all of his T's and dots all of his I's, do some real research and soul searching before he counts us out in his final decision. He'd potentially have immediate success here...

Agreed. As much as UConn has a nicer campus, a better student experience, a better brand, have reached higher football success (BCS bowl), have better facilities. . . . . ..... they still have the trump card of playing in the Big 10. They play OSU, Michigan, MSU every year . . .. . ... we play Navy, Temple, and Houston, some years. We are not going to beat them in many recruiting battles just based on this fact. It is what it is. We can still get 3 star guys and win this conference year in and year out, which is what we need to do to fill the stands and get the attention of a P5 conference.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Blackshear looks like a four star player. Under the right system and with field time he has Sunday skills written all over him. If he goes to Rutty, I hope he can find daylight on that brutal schedule. At UConn I think we offer superior coaching and coaching stability (will Ash be at Rutty in 2019?) and better odds of on field success.

Below regarding Sheffield

ThisIsUConnCountry ‏@MattSchonvisky 11m11 minutes ago
Recruiting Update: Hearing positive feedback on FL RB Deonte Sheffield's OV w/#UConnFootball this weekend, just 2 days before signing day

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
So lets recap what we think we collectively know about our remaining recruits. We have approx 5 or 6 scholarships left between attrition is needed to create space. I wonder if some of these kids have been offered gray shirt scholarships given our limited seats. Seems like #9-11 below would be gray shirt candidates.

1. Washington - deciding tonight - appears to be a battle between UConn and Arizona. He never visited AZ.
  2. Pindell - no indication yet on which way he is leaning between UConn and Temple.
  3. Sheffield - UConn seems to be in the lead - maybe we get an announcement today.
  4. Blackshear - tall odds - but door is open. Rutty vs UConn? 95% most likely going with Rutty.
  5. Gardner - deciding between UConn and BC.
  6. Kayoute - seems like this kid is ours. No other major offers on the table if I recall correctly. Looks like a fine diamond in the rough by the staff for Dline.
  7. Green - UConn vs AZ
  8. Vollmer - deciding between Temple, UConn and UMass. Took official visits to Temple and UMass.
  9. Mensah - was rumored to be visiting this past weekend - radio silent.
  10. Hall - WR from MI offered by the staff last week - radio silent,
  11. Hairston - surprise WR from MO. Seems like he would take the UConn offer vs ND St.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Blackshear looks like a four star player. Under the right system and with field time he has Sunday skills written all over him. If he goes to Rutty, I hope he can find daylight on that brutal schedule. At UConn I think we offer superior coaching and coaching stability (will Ash be at Rutty in 2019?) and better odds of on field success.

Recruiting Update: Hearing positive feedback on FL RB Deonte Sheffield's OV w/#UConnFootball this weekend, just 2 days before signing day

As a friendly reminder (because I needed one), Sheffield is listed as the 46th best RB in the country by Rivals and the 65th best by 247, both sites listing him as 3 stars. This would be a very nice pick-up indeed...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
As a friendly reminder (because I needed one), Sheffield is listed as the 46th best RB in the country by Rivals and the 65th best by 247, both sites listing him as 3 stars. This would be a very nice pick-up indeed...

If we bag Washington, Sheffield, Kayoute, Gardner and Vollmer our recruiting class will move into the top 100 per 247, maybe top 90. Add Blackshear and we go even higher (top 85). As a Juco Pindell is not fully rated by all the services so hence I didn't mention him in the same bunching, although he clearly deserves recognition as he is clearly talented.

Reaction Score
So lets recap what we think we collectively know about our remaining recruits. We have approx 5 or 6 scholarships left between attrition is needed to create space. I wonder if some of these kids have been offered gray shirt scholarships given our limited seats. Seems like #9-11 below would be gray shirt candidates.

1. Washington - deciding tonight - appears to be a battle between UConn and Arizona. He never visited AZ.
  2. Pindell - no indication yet on which way he is leaning between UConn and Temple.
  3. Sheffield - UConn seems to be in the lead - maybe we get an announcement today.
  4. Blackshear - tall odds - but door is open. Rutty vs UConn? 95% most likely going with Rutty.
  6. Kayoute - seems like this kid is ours. No other major offers on the table if I recall correctly. Looks like a fine diamond in the rough by the staff for Dline.
  7. Green - UConn vs AZ
  8. Vollmer - deciding between Temple, UConn and UMass. Took official visits to Temple and UMass.
  11. Hairston - surprise WR from MO. Seems like he would take the UConn offer vs ND St.

I think Hairston is a done deal as a commit but no confirmation other than brother's tweet. I also think FAU is still on the table for Washington. They (UConn) aren't turning down any of their prime targets (or surprise commit/flip) based on numbers - they will make it work.

Reaction Score

7. Green - UConn vs AZ
Nice summary Exit....I might even view Gardner as a UConn lean based on his positive tweets re; offer, his visit this weekend and the removal by him of his BCU commit.

Reaction Score
Was Vollmer up in Storrs for an OV as well this past weekend? One would think he's probably been on campus quite a few times regardless considering he played prep ball in CT....

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Was Vollmer up in Storrs for an OV as well this past weekend? One would think he's probably been on campus quite a few times regardless considering he played prep ball in CT....

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Watch his entire HUDL video. By the end you see this kid is a vacuum, catching many balls that he has to reach for. He also shows a willingness to block downfield.
Saw a video today where he talks about not participating in camps and aau bball, because he was busy with football, basketball, track and baseball. Plays CF and SS in baseball apparently. Probably an all around athlete that will blow up in a college FB conditioning program.

Reaction Score
We can only assume he was offered but he is not on the big list. Am I missing him?

Nope... I have seen no public information that he has an offer from UConn (doesn't mean he doesn't just hasn't been shared).

Reaction Score
Welcome to Edsall ball gentlemen.. He doesn't operate like that... offers/non offers get revealed eventually around this time of the recruiting period...

Reaction Score
Rayam to BC and Elliott Brown to UVA are two surprises in my book. In my unqualified opinion, I thought they were reaches (down) for us and so very much reaches down for the ACC. Obviously the respective coaching staffs saw something more.
with Chris Green visiting from L.A. kinda put the kibosh on TJ Rayam... now here's hoping Green and his signed NLI reaches Edsall's fax machine Wednesday

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
with Chris Green visiting from L.A. kinda put the kibosh on TJ Rayam... now here's hoping Green and his signed NLI reaches Edsall's fax machine Wednesday
I'd like Green's tape better anyways.

Reaction Score
Rayam to BC and Elliott Brown to UVA are two surprises in my book. In my unqualified opinion, I thought they were reaches (down) for us and so very much reaches down for the ACC. Obviously the respective coaching staffs saw something more.

Rayam had offers from Iowa State and Wake in addition to UMass (who he decommitted from last year to go to Peddie to try to parlay bigger offers). Seemed to work. Good pedigree - I would have welcomed him w/ open arms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom