2017 National Signing Day Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

2017 National Signing Day Thread

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
am I the only one who thinks Marvin Washington could possibly start from Day 1 with the right offense?
Given the low expectations bar in year 1, I don't see him being forced to play. If he's really the future, give him his redshirt. That's why you bring back BrS and bring in a Juco.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I guess 'could' and 'should' are two different questions....

By could, I meant he straight up is that good and earns the job from a seemingly deep pool of new, old and JUCO QB's we suddenly find ourselves swimming in.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
By could, I meant he straight up is that good and earns the job from a seemingly deep pool of new, old and JUCO QB's we suddenly find ourselves swimming in.
I follow.. and I suppose he COULD be although I also think that McAfee COULD be. As for what SHOULD be, I'd be trying very hard to red shirt both the freshman unless I thought one of them was going to add 5 or 6 wins to the total.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I follow.. and I suppose he COULD be although I also think that McAfee COULD be. As for what SHOULD be, I'd be trying very hard to red shirt both the freshman unless I thought one of them was going to add 5 or 6 wins to the total.

I follow you too, Seoul. For some reason, after watching all of the new QB's on tape, Marvin's was the only one I immediately watched again and a dozen so times after. Insane running ability but the head to look pass first and an arm that makes all of the throws. And I thought that to myself before Coach put that in his signing comments on the young man.

We've all had high hopes for QB rookies before and I'm smart enough to not expect too much. Agreed that red-shirting them all is best, if possible.

But, if Rhett's new offense is as exciting and versatile as we all hope, it would be pretty cool if a young kid came in and took the gig based solely on talent. If anyone does it, my feeling is it will be MW. Just a hunch and a prayer my friend.

Reaction Score
My prayer is that we never try that lightning in a bottle crap that the last 2 coaches tried with young QB's again. Recognize the temptation, walk over to the big box of red shirts and grab 2.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Check out this film of Washington again and tell me he doesn't have everything we've all been dreaming of for a long time. Watch the 4-5 plays where he escapes pressure and has a clear lane to run for a few yards but stays in the pocket, steps up and throws for a TD or big gain. What impresses me most is that his tape is 80% arm and 20% legs but both are equally as impressive against high quality HS competition.

Why can't he be our Robert Griffin, III? Baylor was a joke before he got there and took control of the team from day 1.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Let me ask you this, what makes the Fickel hiring so uninspiring? Are you basing that solely on the fact he took a really talented Ohio State team and finished 6-7? He did a bad job that year, no doubt. But I don't think it's fair to say that Luke Fickel can't coach or he's uninspiring because of one 8 month period in his 20 year career. Those circumstances around that year have been well documented so I won't go into it further but Luke Fickel has been an outstanding defensive coordinator for years and a great recruiter. I'll take that over an older, boring coach in Randy Edsall who straight up left UConn for maybe the absolute most average program in the Power 5. Lashlee was a great hire for your OC, no doubt about it. I think he actually might have been an even better option for UConn at head coach. The problem is it's so hard to recruit for UConn because no one really wants to go there unless you either have no other options or very, very limited options. We'll see what happens.

Tripling down on stupid. Good for you bro.

You don't think its fair to call Luke Fickel uninspiring because of the circumstances around the 2011 season? Why not? Was it not his job to teach, coach, and inspire his team to victory despite the circumstances surrounding it? What about the s*** storms coaches like Bill O'brien and Jim Grobe walked into? Their teams rose above far greater circumstances and still put winning teams on the field. Both with far less talent than the 2011 Bucks. This was essentially the same team that Urban had undefeated the following season.

Luke Fickel has been an outstanding defensive coordinator for years? How so? Let me ask you something, if he's so great why is it that Urban always had a Co-Coordinator with him on the staff? Guys like Ash, Schiano, etc. Why wasn't he THE man running the show and calling all the shots? Also how is it that a team with so much talent got absolutely boat raced by Clemson in the playoff? Fickel has had the benefit of coaching defenses loaded 3 deep with NFL Caliber Players. Why weren't they more dominant? If Fickel was such a hot s*** commodity, why weren't P5 Schools fighting like hell to get him?

You can slam Edsall all you want but he's proven it on the field. He took a team from FCS to The Fiesta Bowl. Was his record poor against Top 25 Ranked opponents? Absolutely, but when if ever has he had the benefit of being the more talented team going into one of these games? Answer:Never. When did Luke Fickel have the benefit of coaching the more talented team as HC at OSU? Answer: Every. Single. Time. The hire of Edsall was never about inspiration, but instead reclamation. Uconn had two coaches in a row who took a blue collar winning program and drove it through the ground. Uconn was not in a position to gamble on Lashlee, in the manner that Cincy could with Fickel. Uconn 100% needed someone who knew what they were doing as a HC, and knew what it took to win at a challenging place like Uconn.

Finally you can slam Husky Recruiting all you want, but your beloved Cincy has never been some kind of recruiting powerhouse either. You're a development program same as Uconn. You're a former MAC School that got lucky with a string of talented head coaches. Houston rode the same wave of success with their string of great coaching hires. Like Fickel, we'll see if that success continues with Applewhite, or if the team regresses back to the pack as Cincy did under Tubberville. For all your bluster about Cincy recruiting you're in no different a boat than the Huskies. Fickel ain't going head to head with Meyer, Harbaugh, Franklin, or Kelly for top regional talent. You'll need to battle Pitt, Kentucky, Indiana, Purdue etc. Same way Edsall will eventually have to win some battles with Rutgers, BC, Cuse etc. if he wants to compete for AAC Titles. With that settled, please take your now 3rd rated AAC Class(by 247 Rankings) that you are so proud of and go
enjoy a big bowl of vomit inducing spaghetti covered in cinnamon chili.

Reaction Score
Given the low expectations bar in year 1, I don't see him being forced to play. If he's really the future, give him his redshirt. That's why you bring back BrS and bring in a Juco.

There should not be a low expectations ban this year. You can look at our roster and speculate that we could have as many as many as 16 senior starters, which is an unheard of number, from a group that was 6-6 two years ago and 3-4 last year before collapsing. The low expectations, unfortunately, need to be there in '18 and '19 while Edsall's recruits mature, unless Diaco's to date unused two full recruiting cycles surprise.

We not just can win this year -- we badly need to win this year.

Reaction Score
Check out this film of Washington again and tell me he doesn't have everything we've all been dreaming of for a long time. Watch the 4-5 plays where he escapes pressure and has a clear lane to run for a few yards but stays in the pocket, steps up and throws for a TD or big gain. What impresses me most is that his tape is 80% arm and 20% legs but both are equally as impressive against high quality HS competition.

Why can't he be our Robert Griffin, III? Baylor was a joke before he got there and took control of the team from day 1.

Why can't he be our RGIII? You mean other than the fact that RGIII was literally a national track star with speed at another level?

The best QB will play next year. Based on who recruited them and the desirability of experience, I would be very surprised if it was either of the two true frosh.

Reaction Score
We badly need to win this year.

I don't see any way we don't. The kids are psyched, especially the holdover starters. That was a demoralized group out there last year without a coach they could look to for leadership. Instead they got disingenuous praise at inappropriate moments. The leadership change alone will have this team doing a 180. Just think about how your own attitude about the future of UConn Football has morphed from despondence to an excited (yet clear eyed) optimism. Now imagine how the players feel. Bring on the season.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
There should not be a low expectations ban this year. You can look at our roster and speculate that we could have as many as many as 16 senior starters, which is an unheard of number, from a group that was 6-6 two years ago and 3-4 last year before collapsing. The low expectations, unfortunately, need to be there in '18 and '19 while Edsall's recruits mature, unless Diaco's to date unused two full recruiting cycles surprise.

We not just can win this year -- we badly need to win this year.
I don't necessarily disagree with this. I do think we grossly under performed last year when the wheels came off the whole program -- even that 3 and 4 start could easily have been 5 - 2. I don't think they'll be burdened by high expectations though, other than internally and maybe in isolated pockets of the boneyard. They could be postured for a surprise season that won't really surprise to a few hard cores.

Reaction Score
Confessions. I was wrong about PP, in hoping he as a CT native, will build on what RE had and bring the program to new height. I was wrong again with WM and BD, thinking the nightmare was over. But it was not over and extended. I was jaded but still hopeful when Athletic Director Dave fired BD and soon afterward named REv2 as the new leader. Now with the new Rhett Lashlee OC and new DC and a bunch of great hires and the whirlwind recruiting season over, I feel optimistic again. But it all depends on what is the end product we will see on the field comes next fall. I feel anything less than 6 wins for next season is a downer. I don't care about expectations low or high, I just want to win and win more than 6 games, not in the future but this year!!! I have to believe that REv2 and staff will know who their quarterback will be sooner than later. The OL has to be better possibly with new freshmen, although it's not easy. Just hope that I am finally on the right track!!!

Reaction Score

Former
I am really high on this kid as well. Love his arm. He has snap to his throws and the ball comes out tight. Looks to have good vision and awareness along with speed.
This is a big get in my opinion.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Let me ask you this, what makes the Fickel hiring so uninspiring? Are you basing that solely on the fact he took a really talented Ohio State team and finished 6-7?

LOL That sucks

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Let me ask you this, what makes the Fickel hiring so uninspiring? Are you basing that solely on the fact he took a really talented Ohio State team and finished 6-7? He did a bad job that year, no doubt. But I don't think it's fair to say that Luke Fickel can't coach or he's uninspiring because of one 8 month period in his 20 year career. Those circumstances around that year have been well documented so I won't go into it further but Luke Fickel has been an outstanding defensive coordinator for years and a great recruiter. I'll take that over an older, boring coach in Randy Edsall who straight up left UConn for maybe the absolute most average program in the Power 5. Lashlee was a great hire for your OC, no doubt about it. I think he actually might have been an even better option for UConn at head coach. The problem is it's so hard to recruit for UConn because no one really wants to go there unless you either have no other options or very, very limited options. We'll see what happens.

I enjoy you on the Mens Basketball side but you are totally out of your league when it comes to football - stick to basketball
You are embarrassing your self here with your circle jerk arguments

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom