2017 Gold Cup | Page 8 | The Boneyard

2017 Gold Cup

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
This is where I'm at also.

Jozy is not the answer at striker for the US if we want to compete with the big boys. But having said that, it's hard for me to come up with a top 5 striker listing that doesn't include him in it. For the record, I'd be more than happy for the WC Qualifiers to be Wood and Dempsey up top with Altidore and Morris on the bench. But leaving Altidore off of the current squad when considering the level of striker depth we have would just be silly...
Agree, I personally prefer Wood in Altidore's Striker/point role (if we are going to play Dempsey from the start). At this point though I don't think Dempsey is going to start all the games. I think he'll move to more and more as an impact sub.

So I think it should be looking at Wood and ??? (Altidore, Morris, Agudelo, Dwyer, ???? with 2 strikers, or maybe Pulisic in the Dempsey role - withdrawn FW). But start with Wood and go from there, not start with Altidore.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
In the current pool of strikers we have, assuming you don't play Pulisic as a striker, the only two who you can make a case are clearly better than Jozy are Wood and Dempsey. And Dempsey is not going to play 90 minutes every 4 or 5 days through a World Cup cycle and neither of them (nor anyone in our player pool) is half as good as Jozy at hold up play as a lone striker. So Jozy is going to Moscow, and who starts and plays will depend on the team that Arena thinks will have the talent and style giving him the best chance to win. Morris has a defined role he is useful at, but is not as good an overall player as Jozy. He's just not. Neither is Dwyer or Agudelo or anyone else in our pool.

If Green can start actually getting on the field in Germany, or Johanson recovers to his pre-injury form, and they get to a level above Altidore great. But as for now, we are who we are. And like it or not, Altidore is an important piece of it.
I'm fine with that at this point. Altidore is easily in the top 5 list of strikers/forwards.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Agree, I personally prefer Wood in Altidore's Striker/point role (if we are going to play Dempsey from the start). At this point though I don't think Dempsey is going to start all the games. I think he'll move to more and more as an impact sub.

So I think it should be looking at Wood and ??? (Altidore, Morris, Agudelo, Dwyer, ???? with 2 strikers, or maybe Pulisic in the Dempsey role - withdrawn FW). But start with Wood and go from there, not start with Altidore.

Agreed. Wood has a higher work rate, and is much better helping on defense. He's also got more speed. I'm not sure what the best combination is. I'm inclined towards Wood and Dempsey to start, and Jozy and Morris as subs. I think Morris' high work rate can be valuable in some situations. Not sure who would be #5 between Dwyer and Aguelo. May not need one if you feel you can move Pulisic up. But our attacking midfield ranks are even thinner.

Reaction Score
Nagbe had a really good game but I don't see him as a better option than Johnson on the left. He hasn't done as well in the middle where it is more congested. The guy can dribble though.

In the channel between midfield and the attacking 18, he is the best we have with the ball. I don't know who he is bumping from the starting 11, though regardless of formation. Yedlin would be the closest I think in a wing back role.

I agree that Johnson probably starts on the World Cup squad. But Nagbe is good insurance for an injury and... he would a make a good late sub as an activity catalyst. He definitely could come in and bring speed and energy.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Yup, the Dozer STILL shot it right at the keeper. Shots going in half the time's even generous; maybe 2-3 times on slick grass or when the keeper just blows a save. With Hull, the Dozer's laser-focused ability to nail his few shots directly at keepers was downright impressive. Fast forward a few years, little to nothing's improved. Same same Dozer!
Sometimes, especially when the keeper is coming out in a line at the control player - a shot at the keeper is the best because the keeper will have a tendency to cheat to the short side.
So what appears to be a shot at the keeper as a mistake is not an error at all
And - I know what I am talking about - nearly 30 yrs of coaching

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Nagbe had a really good game but I don't see him as a better option than Johnson on the left. He hasn't done as well in the middle where it is more congested. The guy can dribble though.

In the channel between midfield and the attacking 18, he is the best we have with the ball. I don't know who he is bumping from the starting 11, though regardless of formation. Yedlin would be the closest I think in a wing back role.

Someone like Nagbe who is a creator with speed belongs in a wing midfield position and would be a waste in the middle. Leave the middle for the possession and transition players like Bradely who I thought looked like his old self and was particularly effective. I don't understand Johnson - he seems to take a step back when he puts on the national uniform/
I think Nagbe is a real sleeper on this squad and for his size, is not afraid to mix it up

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
In the current pool of strikers we have, assuming you don't play Pulisic as a striker, the only two who you can make a case are clearly better than Jozy are Wood and Dempsey. And Dempsey is not going to play 90 minutes every 4 or 5 days through a World Cup cycle and neither of them (nor anyone in our player pool) is half as good as Jozy at hold up play as a lone striker. So Jozy is going to Moscow, and who starts and plays will depend on the team that Arena thinks will have the talent and style giving him the best chance to win. Morris has a defined role he is useful at, but is not as good an overall player as Jozy. He's just not. Neither is Dwyer or Agudelo or anyone else in our pool.

If Green can start actually getting on the field in Germany, or Johanson recovers to his pre-injury form, and they get to a level above Altidore great. But as for now, we are who we are. And like it or not, Altidore is an important piece of it.
Agreed
Jozy has the bulk to hold up to the larger marking backs. Dempsey and Jozy play different games and that, when they play together, really screws up the opponents marking. Jozy has been and will be a part of this team. Regardless what Zoo pontificates. Woodsy is always a dangerous attacker.

Reaction Score
Someone like Nagbe who is a creator with speed belongs in a wing midfield position and would be a waste in the middle. Leave the middle for the possession and transition players like Bradely who I thought looked like his old self and was particularly effective. I don't understand Johnson - he seems to take a step back when he puts on the national uniform/
I think Nagbe is a real sleeper on this squad and for his size, is not afraid to mix it up

Johnson should be our left back. I don't care what position he plays in Germany. He is light years ahead of anyone else at left back, but we can craft a midfield o.k. without him.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Johnson should be our left back. I don't care what position he plays in Germany. He is light years ahead of anyone else at left back, but we can craft a midfield o.k. without him.

My thoughts exactly. His speed and ability to recover and tackle without fouling are key in that role. I actually think Nagbe is more creative on the left wing anyway.

Reaction Score

Disagree. We need as many difference makers getting as we can. After Pulisic and Dempsey, Johnson and Wood are about it.

Reaction Score
Yup. I'm so wrong that top notch coaches making millions of dollars continue to repeat the "mistake". You're pure comedy, brotha...

You were dead wrong about John Brooks. Get over it.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Disagree. We need as many difference makers getting as we can. After Pulisic and Dempsey, Johnson and Wood are about it.

When has he ever made a difference on the wing? I can't even remember it happening. I've seen him have more good offensive moments out of the left back slot actually.

Reaction Score

Green is already better than any US MLS wing player. He's really not a #9.

If you use Pulisic as a cf/st then you waste what he does in midfield. Frankly, he needs to be roamer but time and time again, for BVB he seems to make the most money ruling sidelines.

Dwyer is slow, needs 3-4 chances to actually finish but he gives us better energy than Dozy. I would be interested to see how he will do with Pulisic and Nagbe getting him better service.

Reaction Score
When has he ever made a difference on the wing? I can't even remember it happening. I've seen him have more good offensive moments out of the left back slot actually.

He hasn't had many opportunities to with the USMNT. But that's where he lines up for Gladbach, and is his natural position, and if they can make it work then we should.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
You were dead wrong about John Brooks. Get over it.

Don't worry. I called up Max Allegri and let him know that you thought he was dead wrong. He's very concerned. He is now aware that he's at risk of losing his $4 million per year job because he didn't talk to you first... :confused:

Reaction Score
Don't worry. I called up Max Allegri and let him know that you thought he was dead wrong. He's very concerned. He is now aware that he's at risk of losing his $4 million per year job because he didn't talk to you first... :confused:

About John Brooks? Or are you attempting to move the bar? Go ahead and rehash.

Reaction Score
Green is already better than any US MLS wing player. He's really not a #9.

If you use Pulisic as a cf/st then you waste what he does in midfield. Frankly, he needs to be roamer but time and time again, for BVB he seems to make the most money ruling sidelines.

Dwyer is slow, needs 3-4 chances to actually finish but he gives us better energy than Dozy. I would be interested to see how he will do with Pulisic and Nagbe getting him better service.

Which is why he couldn't get off the bench in the German 2d division last year? Please.

Reaction Score
Which is why he couldn't get off the bench in the German 2d division last year? Please.

It's still better competition than MLS. And Stuttgart is back in the 1st Division this season. Iwould caution against banking your argument on the performance of a midseason transfer anyways.

Reaction Score
It's still better competition than MLS. And Stuttgart is back in the 1st Division this season. Iwould caution against banking your argument on the performance of a midseason transfer anyways.

The second Bundesliga? Hogwash. Absolute hogwash.

Reaction Score
The second Bundesliga? Hogwash. Absolute hogwash.

Really? How so? Now I am really wondering about your knowledge level. You see tons of guys who aren't second division starters take over starting roles in MLS. That's SKC's business model.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Really? How so? Now I am really wondering about your knowledge level. You see tons of guys who aren't second division starters take over starting roles in MLS. That's SKC's business model.
9253c5b2e9520394d06ef32b9764c42b71939dc83beca8333814a4bbed6265ab.jpg

Reaction Score
Sometimes, especially when the keeper is coming out in a line at the control player - a shot at the keeper is the best because the keeper will have a tendency to cheat to the short side. So what appears to be a shot at the keeper as a mistake is not an error at all. And - I know what I am talking about - nearly 30 yrs of coaching
A generous reach, as if Dozer's laser-focused shots clanged off of goaltenders are typically strategically targeted. Alas, you allegedly know a little about what you're talking about ... albeit not in the Dozer's case. Few can teach, coach, or develop his unusual capability. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
A generous reach, as if Dozer's laser-focused shots clanged off of goaltenders are typically strategically targeted. Alas, you allegedly know a little about what you're talking about ... albeit not in the Dozer's case. Few can teach, coach, or develop his unusual capability. :rolleyes:
you paint with a broad brush when I am talking about a particular tactic but that's ok - you and zoo continue to think you know what you are talking about - Ive forgotten more soccer than you will ever come to know.
Continue bashing Jozy - at 41 minutes of today's final he was laughing at you

And Zoo's claim that the 2nd division Bundesliga as better than MLS - yeah - he's watched a ton of tier 2 BL matches

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So. Nice win. Quick thoughts.

Morris clearly belongs. He will be in England eventually.
Nagbe was possibly our best player tonight. Electric at times.
Bradley, under Arena, is more like his old self. Played well.
Jozy was solid. Great free kick.
Zardes doesn't belong on the roster, let alone the field. What an oafish player.
Arietta has horrible hair.
Acosta...didn't like his game. Bruce correctly subbed him first.
Tough break for Andre.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom