2017 Class Rankings | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2017 Class Rankings

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Being # 1 is significant for TN because only a few years ago Holly was taking a lashing for not getting any top recruits. To be in the conversation for number 1 is a good accomplishment.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I was actually talking about the 2018 class. I'm well aware what the rankings were for the 2017 class.
Sorry, you are correct, I missed your comment on the 2018! How coincidental is it UT is #1 and UConn #3 in BOTH Polls? Though to be fair, it is way too early to take much stock in it. Even if C Collier is the only recruit Geno gets, he is only losing 2 from a fully stocked roster (yes, I know Azura could also leave, but don't think she will) and with the 1 recruit, UConn will have done well. AZ #2??? The best player US player is ranked #29, which in essence is saying the Italian Trucco must be special. I would expect she is on the Italian U19 team playing this week and we can see how she does vs. Walker and Williams.

Last comment- I actually see Cristyn Williams as the best player in the 2018 Class. Her choice will swing the rankings!

Reaction Score
Sorry, you are correct, I missed your comment on the 2018! How coincidental is it UT is #1 and UConn #3 in BOTH Polls? Though to be fair, it is way too early to take much stock in it. Even if C Collier is the only recruit Geno gets, he is only losing 2 from a fully stocked roster (yes, I know Azura could also leave, but don't think she will) and with the 1 recruit, UConn will have done well. AZ #2??? The best player US player is ranked #29, which in essence is saying the Italian Trucco must be special. I would expect she is on the Italian U19 team playing this week and we can see how she does vs. Walker and Williams.

Last comment- I actually see Cristyn Williams as the best player in the 2018 Class. Her choice will swing the rankings!

I agree, it's very ironic that both are ranked the same in both polls. I don't agree with PN giving Tenn the #1 ranking for 2018, both Collins & Massengill are very good but do they really make out the best class so far? Of course their is a lot of top players uncommitted so the rankings will make a big shift. Starting with the descision of Nalyssa Smith next month I think we could see a big shift in the rankings very soon.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Ok, someone tell how with FOUR 5 Star recruits and the number 1 player in the HS Class that UConn is #2 behind Tenn with Three 5 Stars and one 4 Star? It still doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps our UT colleagues could oblige and opine here. I am not trying to be snarky or obnoxious and truly am scratching my head on this...Head bang

Why sweat this. Where do you think these two schools will be next April?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
For many years Bill Belichick and the Patriots would draft players that no other team had high on their draft board (i.e. Tom Brady), and they would turn out to be solid players and even All-pros.

Forget ESPN and Prospects Nation, I would take Geno's recruiting class over any other team's. What did Geno see in Steph? Gabby was good in HS, but following her injuries, how did Geno know that she had that fire burning inside that would drive her to become an AA and NDPOY?

Reaction Score
Being # 1 is significant for TN because only a few years ago Holly was taking a lashing for not getting any top recruits. To be in the conversation for number 1 is a good accomplishment.

I'm waiting for Holly's excuse for not cracking the top ten with this number one recruiting class...................maybe next year.............

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
It's normal to have some inconsistencies in these rankings. If you add in blue star, rankings swing toward UConn:
BS HG PN
1 1 1 Megan Walker
8 13 31 Mikayla Coombs
10 16 32 Andra Espinoza-Hunter
21 29 22 Lexi Gordon

3 2 2 Evina Westbrook
9 7 6 Anastasia Hayes
26 12 9 Rennia Davis
22 57 11 Kasiyahna Kushkituah

Overall class ranking means very little in the grand scheme of things. Look at the last 5 years of top classes:
2016-Maryland, multiple transfers already including best player
2015- Duke, top player leaves after a year, Primm transfers too
2014-UCLA, stayed in tact, doesn't appear to be a Final Four type of team though
2013-North Carolina, all 4 players transferred
2012-Connecticut, Jefferson/Tuck/Stewart all stayed and won 4 titles
2011-I think Tennessee had the top class with Burdick, Massengale and Harrison...all stayed, Izzy was the best but they weren't able to reinvigorate the program
2010-I think it was Duke, the class all stuck together but had underwhelming results, largely due to injuries
2009-No idea
2008-Tennessee and Rutgers had the top classes. This went on to be Tennessee's first class to never make a Final Four, and this class also started Rutgers downhill decline
2007-I think again in was Tennessee with their class of Cain, Bjorklund and Baugh. Injuries derailed Cain and Baugh, even though they had some very good moments. Bjorklund was quite overrated in hindsight. They won 1 title on the coattails of Parker and company, but never were able to get Tennessee back to a Final Four.

Out of 40 teams who have made the Final Four the last 10 seasons, programs who had a #1 overall class ranking on their roster make up a grand total of 5 of those 40 teams. 4 of those 5 were Connecticut's 2012 class, and the other team made the Final Four on the coattails of their upperclassmen.

In summary, having the #1 overall class ranking doesn't mean squat.
I'm pretty sure the number 1 class in 2009 was California or Baylor.

Cal had like 6? recruits in that class and at one time Gennifer Brandon was number 5 in the class. Brenna Heater transferred before her freshmen season began, Tierra Rogers was diagnosed with some heart problem and was ruled ineligible to play. Denesha Stallworth (who was actually like 16? when she enrolled at Cal) was a top player for them and transferred to Kentucky. This class made it to the Final Four.

Baylor had Brittney Griner, Mariah Chandler, Jordan Madden, Shanay Washington (Who I think ended up having injury problems). They also added a transfer in later in Destiny Williams from Illinois (and Brooklyn Pope from Rutgers but she was the class before). They won the title.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm waiting for Holly's excuse for not cracking the top ten with this number one recruiting class....maybe next year...
As with anything having to do with the soap opera that is TN WBB, this news begs more questions than answers. How many of this incoming class will still be in Knoxville in 2 years? 3 years? 4 years? Will HW still be around to coach them in 4 years? Does WBB really matter in Knoxville?

Reaction Score
Ok, someone tell how with FOUR 5 Star recruits and the number 1 player in the HS Class that UConn is #2 behind Tenn with Three 5 Stars and one 4 Star? It still doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps our UT colleagues could oblige and opine here. I am not trying to be snarky or obnoxious and truly am scratching my head on this...Head bang

This type of ranking is absurd on its face. Hard to believe that they continue doing this. The team landing the number one player should get extra points. Also extra points going to players in the top 5, and the top 10. You just cannot add up the number of kids ranked in the top 50 or so, and declare that number a ranking that anyone should pay attention to. Perhaps in college football, since you need so many numbers, and with injuries, the team with the most ranked kids will ultimately prevail (?). But in WCBB, makes no sense.

They need to revise.

Reaction Score
I careoth nototh at alloth aboutoth thisoth. :rolleyes:
Did Shakespear or my Amish neighbors get your tongue??? Thou swell, thou lovely, thou sweet, thou grand, wouldst kiss me pretty, wouldst hold my hand.........
give me, just a plot a---not a lot-a land, thou sweet thou lovely thou grand.
(Jerome Kern)
Pearls before Swine (cartoon, today) He really must hate soda pop!!

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
This type of ranking is absurd on its face. Hard to believe that they continue doing this. The team landing the number one player should get extra points. Also extra points going to players in the top 5, and the top 10. You just cannot add up the number of kids ranked in the top 50 or so, and declare that number a ranking that anyone should pay attention to. Perhaps in college football, since you need so many numbers, and with injuries, the team with the most ranked kids will ultimately prevail (?). But in WCBB, makes no sense.

They need to revise.
I also think it is about impact players. The #1 thru 8 ranked players usually have significantly more experience and exposure, validating their ranking. If we looked at 2018, with Charlie Collier on board, her impact alone as the #1 with a lot more experience than Georgia Tech who lists 4 players, none higher than #18. Also, who knows how a player will develop. We always cite Gabby as an a example who was lower than Courtney Ekmark in these rankings, what about Kelsey Plum who was also rather low in the mid 20's coming out of HS? It isn't an exact science and it does create hard feelings, it also creates dialogue and makes money for someone. And here I am (and you) talking about it despite it's flaws. Didn't Obi Wan say -who's the more foolish, the fool or the one who follows him? :rolleyes:
Color us both as that!

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Did Shakespear or my Amish neighbors get your tongue??? Thou swell, thou lovely, thou sweet, thou grand, wouldst kiss me pretty, wouldst hold my hand....
give me, just a plot a---not a lot-a land, thou sweet thou lovely thou grand.
(Jerome Kern)
Pearls before Swine (cartoon, today) He really must hate soda pop!!
:confused: Now my head hurts!

Reaction Score
As with anything having to do with the soap opera that is TN WBB, this news begs more questions than answers. How many of this incoming class will still be in Knoxville in 2 years? 3 years? 4 years? Will HW still be around to coach them in 4 years? Does WBB really matter in Knoxville?
I agree with all you say---the Last sentence --deserves an answer--my take is --WBB isn't really big on the menu---except to long time, old time and some Women fans---and to them --like us WBB is REALLY important.

I'm asking a question--you and me we know the answer---and if this question was asked 2 years before Pat retired it would have gotten our answer--the question is could this happen to UConn 4 years after Geno retires?? Remember in both schools Football gets the money.

Reaction Score
For many years Bill Belichick and the Patriots would draft players that no other team had high on their draft board (i.e. Tom Brady), and they would turn out to be solid players and even All-pros.

Forget ESPN and Prospects Nation, I would take Geno's recruiting class over any other team's. What did Geno see in Steph? Gabby was good in HS, but following her injuries, how did Geno know that she had that fire burning inside that would drive her to become an AA and NDPOY?

Shame on me I've been kicking Holly--and I'm wrong for doing it.
However---it is not always the school or the coach of that school or the players that school gets that creates a top5 (end of season) team. Those XX factors tend to have more to do than just recruiting.
I don't think Geno knew whether Gabby would end her rehab or further her injury while at Uconn- he saw something --attitude/heart/ someone who finishes what they start--he hoped --but didn't know for sure--he offered a scholarship--and true to his word she got one. I don't drink from Geno's wine (often) --but this I believe--take his word home and bank it.

Reaction Score

The polls this time of the year--give schools like Tn--something to brag about--maybe others too.
The one that counts is in April--last April Uconn 1 most of the year --was (I believe) 4th---361 schools would have been thrilled to be 10th.
You caught my attention about Azura (I like that name) I don't think she'll leave either--more of I hope she won't --I hope she has a secure financial situation at home--that would be the straw to get her attention. (I'm working hard not to say the words)
Fla has recruited europe heavily and done well but not exceptional with them. Duke did too.
Geno did once --and she was fantastic--but IMO the team with or without her was great--with her greater.
Keep us posted on game dates and times --for U19.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
We always cite Gabby as an a example who was lower than Courtney Ekmark in these rankings

I agree with your points but Gabby wasn't rated lower than Ekmark in any of the ranking systems, if that's what you mean.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
They have Holly and we don't.
Exactly. It's just further justification for Holly getting fired. How often does a #1 class not make it to the Final Four over their career?

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Hayes and Westbrook have had very successful careers. The will both play a big part of the upcoming season. BTW ESPN had a visitor today.

Reaction Score
The #1 ranking is unfortunate for Tennessee. It creates sky-high expectations in a fan base that is poised to run Holly out on a rail. What pressure for her to endure, and she doesn't appear to have the ability to perform under pressure.

Fact is, their #1 ranking is only one element of success, and it is more applicable to 2, 3 and 4 years hence. Feast or famine recruiting is not conducive to long term strength. Next season, one must factor in the unexpected loss of Diamond, Te'a Cooper and Alexa Middleton plus an assistant coach. Having 4 freshmen with little experience without veterans to give them a chance to ease in is not going to bode well for Tennessee when compared with UCONN's strong class plus two high quality transfers.

We've seen it before, with recruits riding in on an orange horse boasting of intentions to bring the program back to prominence. But it ain't the good ole' days when Pat was here.

The Tenn season will be interesting though, either some success or a train wreck. Will the Asst Coach search bring in a dynamite replacement? I doubt if Holly will be hiring someone who would be a threat to her job, unless she's not making the hiring decision.

Reaction Score
Baylor had Brittney Griner, Mariah Chandler, Jordan Madden, Shanay Washington (Who I think ended up having injury problems). They also added a transfer in later in Destiny Williams from Illinois (and Brooklyn Pope from Rutgers but she was the class before). They won the title.

Shanay Washington was #2 in her class I believe before injuries.

Reaction Score
Exactly. It's just further justification for Holly getting fired. How often does a #1 class not make it to the Final Four over their career?

Has that UCLA class even made an elite 8?

Reaction Score
2016-Maryland, multiple transfers already including best player
2015- Duke, top player leaves after a year, Primm transfers too
2014-UCLA, stayed in tact, doesn't appear to be a Final Four type of team though
2013-North Carolina, all 4 players transferred
2012-Connecticut, Jefferson/Tuck/Stewart all stayed and won 4 titles
2011-I think Tennessee had the top class with Burdick, Massengale and Harrison...all stayed, Izzy was the best but they weren't able to reinvigorate the program
2010-I think it was Duke, the class all stuck together but had underwhelming results, largely due to injuries
2009-No idea
2008-Tennessee and Rutgers had the top classes. This went on to be Tennessee's first class to never make a Final Four, and this class also started Rutgers downhill decline
2007-I think again in was Tennessee with their class of Cain, Bjorklund and Baugh. Injuries derailed Cain and Baugh, even though they had some very good moments. Bjorklund was quite overrated in hindsight. They won 1 title on the coattails of Parker and company, but never were able to get Tennessee back to a Final Four.

Reece Caldwell transferred from ucla.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom