2017 Class Rankings | The Boneyard

2017 Class Rankings

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Ok, someone tell how with FOUR 5 Star recruits and the number 1 player in the HS Class that UConn is #2 behind Tenn with Three 5 Stars and one 4 Star? It still doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps our UT colleagues could oblige and opine here. I am not trying to be snarky or obnoxious and truly am scratching my head on this...Head bang

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Ok, someone tell how with FOUR 5 Star recruits and the number 1 player in the HS Class that UConn is #2 behind Tenn with Three 5 Stars and one 4 Star? It still doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps our UT colleagues could oblige and opine here. I am not trying to be snarky or obnoxious and truly am scratching my head on this...Head bang
I'd have ranked our class #1 but you can make the case for the Vols to be #1 because they got 3 McD's AAs and we 'only' got two.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

Well, here is something to cause more scratching of your cabeza (HG - HoopGurlz, PN - Prospect Nation). I could buy into TENN's top three are just that much better ... maybe. Look at PN's ratings! UCONN is seriously downgraded and TENN is rated higher. How can HoopsGurlz see Kasiyahna Kushkituah as a 57 and PN have her at 11? HG and PN can't even agree on the order of ranking UCONN's recruits?! I know these ratings are just opinion but I would expect them to be within shouting distance of each other.
images

I would like to see their algorithm for their rating of recruiting classes.
Code:
HG      PN
 1       1    Megan Walker
13      31    Mikayla Coombs
16      32    Andra Espinoza-Hunter
29      22    Lexi Gordon

2       2    Evina Westbrook
 7       6    Anastasia Hayes
12       9    Rennia Davis
57      11    Kasiyahna Kushkituah

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Exactly,

Tennessee Lady Vols: High ranking: 1 - Low ranking: 10
Connecticut Huskies: High ranking: 1 - Low ranking: 3

And UConn is #2?

Reaction Score
Well, here is something to cause more scratching of your cabeza (HG - HoopGurlz, PN - Prospect Nation). I could buy into TENN top three are just that much better ... maybe. Look at PN's ratings! UConn seriously downgraded and TENN rated higher. How can HoopsGurlz see Kasiyahna Kushkituah as a 57 and PN have her at 11? HG and PN can't even agree on the order of ranking UConn's recruits?! I know these ratings are just opinion but I would expect them to be within shouting distance of each other.
images

I
[/CODE]

It's not unusual at all to see such disparities between the ranking services........................some say it's due to politics, some say it's about player visibility and then there are those who say it is simply subjective differences between evaluators.....................I would say it's a bit of all three.....................

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
It's not unusual at all to see such disparities between the ranking services....some say it's due to politics, some say it's about player visibility and then there are those who say it is simply subjective differences between evaluators......I would say it's a bit of all three......

I am tempted to say something snarky about the lack of talent doing the evaluating. But then I remember Geno and staff have had their share of evaluations gone awry. Let us hope HoopGurlz has UCONN's 2017 class more properly evaluated and Prospect Nation is totally wrong except for Walker.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I'd have ranked our class #1 but you can make the case for the Vols to be #1 because they got 3 McD's AAs and we 'only' got two.
Thank you, and it is a fair observation, however as some have noted on their comments on the thread- McDonald's AA IS Politically driven. I know that HG has less scouts than PN but also know that HG has better ties into USA Basketball. So in the case of Kush (KK), while she is very tall, she has limited USA Basketball experience and many reports say she is raw and less skilled than Mulkey who just tranferred from Oklahoma and did not impress anyone this past year. I tend to think "bigs" get over rated due to their size, while guards are scrutinized 6 ways to Sunday. As my dad who coached basketball for 40 years used to say, you can't coach size! That said, I do wonder why Westbrook was left off the U19 squad especially considering C.Williams, a HS player is on the team. Thanks for you cooment though, you do have me thinking!

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

Probably has something to do with Tennessee's class having a higher "average" ranking. Sure, UConn got the number 1 overall player and 3 other 5-star players but Tennessee got THREE top 15 players.. that's impressive.

FWIW, I really like both classes.. offensively, UConn's class is better (although Tenn's Rennia Davis can really light it up).. defensively, I like Tennessee's class (although I think Coombs is an underrated defender).. both classes have players ready to contribute immediately (UConn-Walker.. Tenn-Westbrook/Hayes) and both classes have players that I think need more "seasoning" (UConn-Espinoza-Hunter...Tenn-Kushkituah)...

There's no real huge separation between the classes talent wise.. but both schools really cleaned up in 2017. I like our class (ranked #10 overall).. but I would take a few players from both classes in a heartbeat.

Reaction Score
Rankings are just rankings and are just fun for the fans ... the proof is in the pudding, we'll see this year and beyond who does better (but then that also means what kind of coaching you got).

P.S. the McD AAs sounds good until you realize AEH wasn't eligible for McD AA or surely she would have made it as well.

Reaction Score
Prospects Nation recently released their Mid-Summer rankings for the 2018 class.

Tennessee is #1 again, UCONN #3, Texas #5, SC #6, and ND #7

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Prospects Nation recently released their Mid-Summer rankings for the 2018 class.

Tennessee is #1 again, UConn #3, Texas #5, SC #6, and ND #7
Here is the link to PN on the update- Class Rankings -- 2017 -- Late Signing Final | Prospects Nation

You buried the lead by not saying Baylor moved to #2 with the #5/7 recruits and 2 unheralded players Odd to me they would move up as a CLASS ranking with 2 nondescript players.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Maybe LAMM will see the No. 2 ranking as a snub and use it as motivation?

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

Tennessee is #1 again, UConn #3, Texas #5, SC #6, and ND #7

PN getting ahead of the curve..

SC at #6 with one player committed.. I think we have a shot at a top 5 class if the wheels don't fall off. If the stars align properly we may just bring in a class of all top 15 players..

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Both teams got some really good players. Let's see how they do. I like our class. Davis I've heard has been impressive in workouts. Some are comparing her athletic ability with Holdsclaw. At least in terms just athletic ability.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The separation of the classes will begin once they set foot on campus. What's that? They already were on campus? Then UCONN is number 1-Hands down! Just ask Miss Burdick-TN alumni.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

That's politics :cool:

Reaction Score

Why does it matter?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Well, here is something to cause more scratching of your cabeza (HG - HoopGurlz, PN - Prospect Nation). I could buy into TENN's top three are just that much better ... maybe. Look at PN's ratings! UConn is seriously downgraded and TENN is rated higher. How can HoopsGurlz see Kasiyahna Kushkituah as a 57 and PN have her at 11? HG and PN can't even agree on the order of ranking UConn's recruits?! I know these ratings are just opinion but I would expect them to be within shouting distance of each other.
images

I would like to see their algorithm for their rating of recruiting classes.
Code:
HG      PN
 1       1    Megan Walker
13      31    Mikayla Coombs
16      32    Andra Espinoza-Hunter
29      22    Lexi Gordon

2       2    Evina Westbrook
 7       6    Anastasia Hayes
12       9    Rennia Davis
57      11    Kasiyahna Kushkituah

It's normal to have some inconsistencies in these rankings. If you add in blue star, rankings swing toward UCONN:
BS HG PN
1 1 1 Megan Walker
8 13 31 Mikayla Coombs
10 16 32 Andra Espinoza-Hunter
21 29 22 Lexi Gordon

3 2 2 Evina Westbrook
9 7 6 Anastasia Hayes
26 12 9 Rennia Davis
22 57 11 Kasiyahna Kushkituah

Overall class ranking means very little in the grand scheme of things. Look at the last 5 years of top classes:
2016-Maryland, multiple transfers already including best player
2015- Duke, top player leaves after a year, Primm transfers too
2014-UCLA, stayed in tact, doesn't appear to be a Final Four type of team though
2013-North Carolina, all 4 players transferred
2012-Connecticut, Jefferson/Tuck/Stewart all stayed and won 4 titles
2011-I think Tennessee had the top class with Burdick, Massengale and Harrison...all stayed, Izzy was the best but they weren't able to reinvigorate the program
2010-I think it was Duke, the class all stuck together but had underwhelming results, largely due to injuries
2009-No idea
2008-Tennessee and Rutgers had the top classes. This went on to be Tennessee's first class to never make a Final Four, and this class also started Rutgers downhill decline
2007-I think again in was Tennessee with their class of Cain, Bjorklund and Baugh. Injuries derailed Cain and Baugh, even though they had some very good moments. Bjorklund was quite overrated in hindsight. They won 1 title on the coattails of Parker and company, but never were able to get Tennessee back to a Final Four.

Out of 40 teams who have made the Final Four the last 10 seasons, programs who had a #1 overall class ranking on their roster make up a grand total of 5 of those 40 teams. 4 of those 5 were Connecticut's 2012 class, and the other team made the Final Four on the coattails of their upperclassmen.

In summary, having the #1 overall class ranking doesn't mean squat.

Reaction Score
Probably has something to do with Tennessee's class having a higher "average" ranking. Sure, UConn got the number 1 overall player and 3 other 5-star players but Tennessee got THREE top 15 players.. that's impressive.

FWIW, I really like both classes.. offensively, UConn's class is better (although Tenn's Rennia Davis can really light it up).. defensively, I like Tennessee's class (although I think Coombs is an underrated defender).. both classes have players ready to contribute immediately (UConn-Walker.. Tenn-Westbrook/Hayes) and both classes have players that I think need more "seasoning" (UConn-Espinoza-Hunter...Tenn-Kushkituah)...

There's no real huge separation between the classes talent wise.. but both schools really cleaned up in 2017. I like our class (ranked #10 overall).. but I would take a few players from both classes in a heartbeat.
Coombs was ranked 4th until she hurt her knee and I think she will be a big part of what Uconn does this year!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom