2017/2018 Athlon Sports Magazine Pre-Season Predictions | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2017/2018 Athlon Sports Magazine Pre-Season Predictions

Reaction Score
Which of these players would you think was more deserving to be on an All-American list?

Player A: 16 Points, 4 Rebounds, 1.5 Assists, 37 assists - 63 turnovers, 37% FG, 28% 3-pt

Player B: 13 points, 2 rebounds, 4 Assists, 128 assists - 50 turnovers, 48% FG, 46% 3-pt
Player B but it's missing the average number of min. each played (and probably the competition each faced and do they play the same position)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Player B but it's missing the average number of min. each played (and probably the competition each faced and do they play the same position)

B is Nurse, A is Victoria Vivians.

I'm not sure minutes matter in this case but Vivians averaged 30.1 to Nurse's 29.5 over the last two years.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Which of these players would you think was more deserving to be on an All-American list?

Player A: 16 Points, 4 Rebounds, 1.5 Assists, 37 assists - 63 turnovers, 37% FG, 28% 3-pt

Player B: 13 points, 2 rebounds, 4 Assists, 128 assists - 50 turnovers, 48% FG, 46% 3-pt
Neither. But if I have to choose I would say player B.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
My mistake. After the negative I made about Kia Nurse I see she was named second team preseason AA by Street & Smith. She was ahead of Ionescu, Sophie Cunningham, Ogunbowale, and Ariel Atkins. So, Nurse must be pretty good, Alydar.

Reaction Score

IMHO Sluconn Husky, Player B would be my AA!

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
For anyone who may be curious, the college basketball editions of Lindy's and Street & Smith is on the market. The only constant beside Uconn being ranked number one is Gabby, Napheesa, and KLS being first team AA. Azura is second team Street & Smith and I believe third team on Lindy's. For those of you who are wondering about Nurse, her name is not on any list and should not be, imo. However, if she plays the whole season the way she played at the end of last season, she will make some post season AA team and those are the only ones that matter. Also, even though my favorite players are Gabby and Napheesa, There is something about the way KLS looked on the Italy trip that makes me think she is ready to play at a POY level and will be a strong contender for the award. I believe the kind of confidence she had in high school she now has in college. I know the competition they played was not high level but, there was just something about the way she carried herself on the court. Her confidence seemed to be higher than ever. Of course I may be wrong (strange things do happen sometimes) but, I think she is ready to contend with any player in WBB for POY.
KLS said she wants to be a 180 player. Accomplish that and the accolades will follow.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
My mistake. After the negative I made about Kia Nurse I see she was named second team preseason AA by Street & Smith. She was ahead of Ionescu, Sophie Cunningham, Ogunbowale, and Ariel Atkins. So, Nurse must be pretty good, Alydar.

Those are some talented players. Seems like fairly high praise for Nurse.

I've said it elsewhere. I could be wrong, but I think Ionescu is gonna blow up this year. Name one other player that posted 4 triple doubles as a freshman. She just needs to improve her consistency and accuracy shooting from the floor and the sky is the limit for her.

Just looked it up, no freshman has ever had 4 triple doubles before. Ionescu is already only 1 away from tying Nicole Powell for the Pac 12 record and she has 3 more years to add to her total.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Oregon is a team full of potential and its not just a team of one. They are very fortunate to have several good bigs and PG CaZorla, who in my opinion is the unsung hero of this group, she is the reason this team ticks. Kelly did a masterful job of recruiting.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Ionescu got what she wanted. She wanted to go to a school that was not an established power and try to help raise it to a national power. She succeeded her first season. I know one good year does not make a team a national power but with the other talented players on Oregon, I think they will be a power for the next few years. I don't think she is sorry for the decision she made.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Doesn't a certain Canadian Olympian, at the very least, deserve to be part of the discussion? Would she part of the top ten if she played for somebody else?

While I think she is a very solid player, I don't think she set herself apart last season. Will she be a great pro? Was Allisah Gray an AA last season?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I think Nurse has shown at times she can be a dominant player, but she's been surrounded by ridiculous talent her entire career and has mostly been in a complimentary role. I'm sure she could've been more of a scorer under different circumstances, but it really hasn't been necessary during her 3 years so far. It's kind of hard to see her scoring increasing significantly during her Sr. year, based on all the players coming back plus the influx of talent and new players.

I haven't seen her play for the Canadian national team, but it sounds like she's a totally different player in that setting.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I think Nurse has shown at times she can be a dominant player, but she's been surrounded by ridiculous talent her entire career and has mostly been in a complimentary role. I'm sure she could've been more of a scorer under different circumstances, but it really hasn't been necessary during her 3 years so far. It's kind of hard to see her scoring increasing significantly during her Sr. year, based on all the players coming back plus the influx of talent and new players.

I haven't seen her play for the Canadian national team, but it sounds like she's a totally different player in that setting.
+

Reaction Score
4 first team All Americans all from the same team? That's getting pretty greedy. I would be SHOCKED if that actually happened.
Since they usually use statistics to judge, I’m surprised they put as many as 3 Huskies on the team. When they just choose the best players, I’m surprised at only 3.

Reaction Score
Just my thoughts on this......Not sure about Gabby or Naphessa as far as individual awards are concerned ...the may play as well or better then a year ago.......it's just that their numbers may not be quite as gaudy as they were last season as they will hopefully be playing far fewer minutes with such an infusion of talent...I find it hard to believe that those in charge would reward a player with 15 and 10 first team All-American status even if they were deserving of the honor...Gabby will be effected the most followed by Napheesa while KLS is far more likely to meet or better her stats from last year
I disagree, Napheesa and Gabby were more consistent in their scoring and defense . Napheesa led the team in points and Gabby was awesome all around in points and rebounds.

Reaction Score
I disagree, Napheesa and Gabby were more consistent in their scoring and defense . Napheesa led the team in points and Gabby was awesome all around in points and rebounds.

yes they all improved markedly, my point was simply that this coming season they will hopefully not have to carry as much of the load in any particular category as the bench is much improved...............if they are playing any where near the same minutes as last year then there's a problem........

Reaction Score
yes they all improved markedly, my point was simply that this coming season they will hopefully not have to carry as much of the load in any particular category as the bench is much improved.....if they are playing any where near the same minutes as last year then there's a problem...
True, their minutes will decrease but I believe UConn will crush all comers like they did in prior years and the starters will be warming the bench by the 3rd quarter. The Miss St. loss will be on their minds and motivate that kind of performance this entire season.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
While I think she is a very solid player, I don't think she set herself apart last season. Will she be a great pro? Was Allisah Gray an AA last season?
I can't believe I have to sell YOU on Kalani but here goes: She has done a remarkable job since her freshman year on her conditioning and is continuing to work on stupid fouls. Her marked Improvement made Beatrice transfer and the fact that Baylor plays a pathetic OOC with only Texas on the docket says Ms. Brown will do very well. Remember Joyner is ineligible 1st semester (hopefully not 2nd as well!) so BU vs. Texas boards will be dominated by Baylor. I like what Ashton is doing at Texas but her offensive coaching is average at best (starting to sound familiar eh?) so while she has a boatload of HS AA's and more than tOSU (shouldn't be in top 10 as he can't coach a lick of defense) I see BU winning and as such Mulkey will be at her very loudest extolling Kalani's virtues.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I can't believe I have to sell YOU on Kalani but here goes: She has done a remarkable job since her freshman year on her conditioning and is continuing to work on stupid fouls. Her marked Improvement made Beatrice transfer and the fact that Baylor plays a pathetic OOC with only Texas on the docket says Ms. Brown will do very well. Remember Joyner is ineligible 1st semester (hopefully not 2nd as well!) so BU vs. Texas boards will be dominated by Baylor. I like what Ashton is doing at Texas but her offensive coaching is average at best (starting to sound familiar eh?) so while she has a boatload of HS AA's and more than tOSU (shouldn't be in top 10 as he can't coach a lick of defense) I see BU winning and as such Mulkey will be at her very loudest extolling Kalani's virtues.

I was talking about Nurse, not Brown. I am already sold on Brown. I think she is very possibly next season's POY.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
I was talking about Nurse, not Brown. I am already sold on Brown. I think she is very possibly next season's POY.
In the Big 12. Certainly not the nation. I believe she will be an AA but, not the the national POY. Of course, this is the opinion of a Uconn fan.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Whew, I was really worried for a second. We all like Nurse, but under no circumstance is she an All-American. Is she a good player-ABSOLUTELY, but she does not force any team to say, "hey we have to contain Kia if we want to beat UConn". I do not mean to disparage any of her contributions as she is more than capable on any given night to fill the stats and she is a steady presence (most of the time). That, however is not the definition of an All-American. She is, however, a 1st Team All-Canadian! :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom