2017/2018 Athlon Sports Magazine Pre-Season Predictions | The Boneyard

2017/2018 Athlon Sports Magazine Pre-Season Predictions

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The second ranked team is Texas, third Ohio State, fourth, Notre Dame and fifth UCLA. Guess what team is ranked first. Baylor is sixth and South Carolina is thirteenth.
First TeamAA

Kalani Brown
Napheesa Collier
Kelsey Mitchell
Katie Lou Samuelson
A'ja Wilson

Second Team AA

Kristine Anigwe
Jordin Canada
Asia Durr
Victoria Vivians
Gabby Williams

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Understandable given her Honorable Mention 2 years ago. 3rd team prediction in one service. She'll give us all the terrible dilemna of dealing with the no more than 3 rule I'll bet.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not sure how they would leave this coming season's NPOY & DPOY off the 1st team, but so long as Gabby remains healthy, she will be a consensus AA. I see Lou, Pheesa, Gabby & Wilson as consensus 1st teamers, with Mitchell, Brown & Z battling for the 5th slot.

Reaction Score
Not sure how they would leave this coming season's NPOY & DPOY off the 1st team, but so long as Gabby remains healthy, she will be a consensus AA. I see Lou, Pheesa, Gabby & Wilson as consensus 1st teamers, with Mitchell, Brown & Z battling for the 5th slot.

You realize only 3 UConn players can make the list right?

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You realize only 3 UConn player can make the list right?
I believe the 3 player restriction only applies to the WBCA 10 player 1st team which Lou, Pheesa & Gabby made last season. I don't believe that same restriction applies to the 5 player teams such as the AP or ESPN teams.

Obviously, 5 player teams are extremely limited by the size of the team, but if the Huskies run the table on the way to their 12th national championship, and Z plays like we all expect, it may be difficult for voters to keep her, along with the 3 returning Husky AA's, off the 1st team.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
4 first team All Americans all from the same team? That's getting pretty greedy. I would be SHOCKED if that actually happened.

Reaction Score

Just my thoughts on this................Not sure about Gabby or Naphessa as far as individual awards are concerned ..................the may play as well or better then a year ago.................it's just that their numbers may not be quite as gaudy as they were last season as they will hopefully be playing far fewer minutes with such an infusion of talent.............I find it hard to believe that those in charge would reward a player with 15 and 10 first team All-American status even if they were deserving of the honor.............Gabby will be effected the most followed by Napheesa while KLS is far more likely to meet or better her stats from last year

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Just my thoughts on this......Not sure about Gabby or Naphessa as far as individual awards are concerned ...the may play as well or better then a year ago.......it's just that their numbers may not be quite as gaudy as they were last season as they will hopefully be playing far fewer minutes with such an infusion of talent...I find it hard to believe that those in charge would reward a player with 15 and 10 first team All-American status even if they were deserving of the honor...Gabby will be effected the most followed by Napheesa while KLS is far more likely to meet or better her stats from last year
Stats are important, but if you play the toughest schedule in the country and beat everyone you play it will influence a lot of AA voters when they fill in their ballots.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
For at least some of the All-American awards, I believe that each team can submit up to 3 names. Can someone elaborate on this? If it's the case, it obviously limits the number of AA selections.

Reaction Score

UConn will not have 4 AAs on a 5-person team. Even 3 is questionable.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
UConn will not have 4 AAs on a 5-person team. Even 3 is questionable.
Probably not, but as the season unfolds, if the Huskies bury everyone in their path, it will give the AA voters something to consider.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Link?

Yea--agreed about Ohio State. They have a 9 player roster (unless walk ons are added). Mitchell is dynamic but i dont know if they are 3rd ranked material.

Reaction Score
I want to review this selection process in early January...........UCONN will have played all their tough opponents by then, with exception of USC in February........Geno will have his rotation set by then...........Watch out!!

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Doesn't a certain Canadian Olympian, at the very least, deserve to be part of the discussion? Would she part of the top ten if she played for somebody else?

Reaction Score
For at least some of the All-American awards, I believe that each team can submit up to 3 names. Can someone elaborate on this? If it's the case, it obviously limits the number of AA selections.
It is my understanding each team can submit 3 max for WBCA AA consideration. It is also my understanding WBCA AA is the sole criteria for HOH.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Doesn't a certain Canadian Olympian, at the very least, deserve to be part of the discussion? Would she part of the top ten if she played for somebody else?
No, to your last question, imo.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It is my understanding each team can submit 3 max for WBCA AA consideration. It is also my understanding WBCA AA is the sole criteria for HOH.
I may be wrong, but I think the HOH requires first-team AA selection by the AP, the women's coaches, or the women's sportswriters. The AP first team has only 5 players; the others have 10-player first teams, so selection is "easier." I don't know if we have had a player make the sportswriters list without also making the coaches list.

To date, ESPN selections don't count for the HOH, but I think they have only 5 on the first team.

To clarify a point, making FIRST-team AA is a requirement. First-team on one of the 10-player lists noted is sufficient. Second-team on one of the 5-player lists is NOT sufficient.

Reaction Score
The AP and ESPN are 5 member AA teams and the WBCA team is 10 members.
I could never understand how the powers that be ignore complete domination because they "have to fair to everyone!"
There should never be limitations on success and domination!
If UCONN dominates like is possible this year, then they should be rewarded for their domination! Not name 2 girls from UCONN and 3 girls from lower ranked teams and not as successful as UCONN has been!
Let's give everyone a participation trophy so everyone goes home happy!
I remember the MLB writers picking all-stars from last place teams so EVERY team is represented at the All-Star Game.
It could be possible that UCONN has ALL 5 starters with stats better than everyone else at their positions and the shame is 3 deserving players will be left off AA teams to be politically correct!
Going into this season, if healthy, Nurse is among the best PG's, KLS is among the best SG's, Gabby is among the best SF's, Collier is among the best PF's, and Azura is among the best C's/PF's in the Division I NCAA!
And then you hear that underclassmen will have "other" shots at AA teams in coming years, but good health is never promised to anyone and they may never have that type of year again!

Reaction Score
I may be wrong, but I think the HOH requires first-team AA selection by the AP, the women's coaches, or the women's sportswriters. The AP first team has only 5 players; the others have 10-player first teams, so selection is "easier." I don't know if we have had a player make the sportswriters list without also making the coaches list.

To date, ESPN selections don't count for the HOH, but I think they have only 5 on the first team.

To clarify a point, making FIRST-team AA is a requirement. First-team on one of the 10-player lists noted is sufficient. Second-team on one of the 5-player lists is NOT sufficient.
We had the same discussion last year. Gabby made WBCA, but only 2nd team AP, and she is up on the Werth wall, indicating HOH when she graduates. This meets both yours and my ctriteria. I thought last year we found an authoritative resolution on the exact criteria, which I thought was WBCA (formerly State Farm). But I can't think of what that reference was. I will be on the lookout - this should be an easy one.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
The AP and ESPN are 5 member AA teams and the WBCA team is 10 members.
I could never understand how the powers that be ignore complete domination because they "have to fair to everyone!"
There should never be limitations on success and domination!
If UCONN dominates like is possible this year, then they should be rewarded for their domination! Not name 2 girls from UCONN and 3 girls from lower ranked teams and not as successful as UCONN has been!
Let's give everyone a participation trophy so everyone goes home happy!
I remember the MLB writers picking all-stars from last place teams so EVERY team is represented at the All-Star Game.
It could be possible that UCONN has ALL 5 starters with stats better than everyone else at their positions and the shame is 3 deserving players will be left off AA teams to be politically correct!
Going into this season, if healthy, Nurse is among the best PG's, KLS is among the best SG's, Gabby is among the best SF's, Collier is among the best PF's, and Azura is among the best C's/PF's in the Division I NCAA!
And then you hear that underclassmen will have "other" shots at AA teams in coming years, but good health is never promised to anyone and they may never have that type of year again!
Because the AA designation is based on the play of the individual, not on the play of the team. Just because Connecticut is dominant doesn't mean every player on their team deserves to be an All-American. A'ja Wilson is unquestionably an AA so is Kelsey Mitchell, Kalani Brown, Oregon's Ruthy Hebard and many others.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Never 4.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom