2017/2018 Athlon Sports Magazine Pre-Season Predictions | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2017/2018 Athlon Sports Magazine Pre-Season Predictions

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I'd take Mercedes over Brown. In the last game Mercedes shut Brown down.

Reaction Score
I'd take Mercedes over Brown. In the last game Mercedes shut Brown down.

Does that mean Tenn won the game against Baylor? If I recall Baylor beat up the LadyVols 88 to 66 in Knoxville of all places. Brown only played 11 minutes, IMO it was the 4 fouls that shut down Brown and not Russell. Just think Brown only scored 2 points. The LadyVols should have shut down the rest of the Baylor team...just saying! ;)

Reaction Score
Because the AA designation is based on the play of the individual, not on the play of the team. Just because Connecticut is dominant doesn't mean every player on their team deserves to be an All-American. A'ja Wilson is unquestionably an AA so is Kelsey Mitchell, Kalani Brown, Oregon's Ruthy Hebard and many others.

I think that UConn fans sometimes forget that there are other deserving players out there............that said, when a great player makes a major contribution to a winning and possibly championship team, that should be considered a plus by those judging individual merit........

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Does that mean Tenn won the game against Baylor? If I recall Baylor beat up the LadyVols 88 to 66 in Knoxville of all places. Brown only played 11 minutes, IMO it was the 4 fouls that shut down Brown and not Russell. Just think Brown only scored 2 points. The LadyVols should have shut down the rest of the Baylor team...just saying! ;)
It wasn't because of Russell. She did her part.

Reaction Score
Link?

Yea--agreed about Ohio State. They have a 9 player roster (unless walk ons are added). Mitchell is dynamic but i dont know if they are 3rd ranked material.
#2-5 are all somewhat questionable, I would say Texas is about the ONLY possible top 5 of all those. Maybe UCLA could break through but no way state (no defense, need to learn to play both ways) or nd (especially without Turner).

Reaction Score
Because the AA designation is based on the play of the individual, not on the play of the team. Just because Connecticut is dominant doesn't mean every player on their team deserves to be an All-American. A'ja Wilson is unquestionably an AA so is Kelsey Mitchell, Kalani Brown, Oregon's Ruthy Hebard and many others.

iamcbs- - - I realize that the AA designation is based on the individual! What I'm saying is the 5 starters on UCONN are among the best players at each of their positions and should be considered as such! The strength of the team is only as great as the individual players make it!
IMHO the 5 UCONN starters are better than Wilson, Mitchell, Brown, or Hebard and many others! There are great players all across the country and our 5 UCONN starters are an equal to almost all of them, again IMHO!
It's wrong to set limits for rewarding players and coaches for awards that are heads and shoulders above their competition!

Reaction Score
Why can only 3 UCONN players make the team if more are deserving? It seems like deserving players are being penalized for being on a great team!

I agree, but those are the rules.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Can someone explain why Ohio State is picked that high?
Because on paper they have a boatload of McDonald AAs and Kelsey Mitchell returning. A lot of voters are more focused on player personnel rather than the actual play put on the court by the team from the previous year. I have little doubt that South Carolina and Mississippi State will be much stronger teams than most ranked ahead of them due to strong players they have coming back and terrific coaching.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Doesn't a certain Canadian Olympian, at the very least, deserve to be part of the discussion? Would she part of the top ten if she played for somebody else?

There's no way anybody will logically put her on a top 10 team preseason for All American. She isn't going to be playing as many minutes or taking as many shots this year with the additions of Stevens and Walker. She'll play her role and will be an important player for Connecticut, but she'll be no higher than the 5th option as a scorer at Connecticut. She wasn't part of the discussion this last season as a 4th option, and this year she'll likely be a 5th or 6th option. Considering no team has ever had more than 3 players on the 10 man squad, I don't see her being in part of the discussion unless she takes on a bigger scoring role which means one of Gabby/KLS/Collier takes a backseat.

Reaction Score
Your right of course. Not a single game has been played and there are some outstanding players in WCBB. I'm speaking for myself here when I say that I think most BY'ers would prefer to win the NC first and then open the let the potential NPOY and AA selections work themselves out.

Reaction Score
I posted this several weeks ago but it bears repeating.
"The idea that you have to reach some sort of play to earn being named to the MLB Hall of Fame.
How Tim Raines and Jim Rice finally earn their induction into the HoF after 10+ years of not getting the 75% needed for induction! Their stats never changed but influential people in the Stat Field got behind them & finally got them in!
How is Edgar Martinez of the Seattle Mariners not in the HoF? He's one of the 5-6 greatest hitters of the modern game but he played mostly at Designated Hitter his later career because of bad knees, and the "Powers that Be" can't have DH's in the HoF with FULL TIME players!
IMHO the biggest induction qualification should be, DID THAT PLAYER DOMINATE MLB during his era playing the game? If yes then he deserves to be named to the HoF! The stats are all comparable at that level!" Players such as: Jim Kaat, Jack Morris, Edgar Martinez, Mike Messina, among others dominated MLB when they played!

Same thing with All-Stars or BB AA's or any high awards based on success! What team they play for is immaterial and shouldn't enter in to the discussion for a yea or nea vote! The 5 UCONN starters this season are ALL going to be among the individual elite of the College game, just because they all happen to play for UCONN should not disqualify any of them from being considered for that honor! Now of course they have to play up to the elite level to be named, not on PAST accomplishes!
And I'm not preaching this because I'm an arrogant UCONN fan! If 5 great players were on the court for ND or Baylor or Stanford they should be afforded the same rights as any other players!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Oregon's Ruthy Hebard is an AA ????? Let's not get carried away here. I realize that she made All Pac 12 team but that conference nominates 15 people for the All conference team.

Reaction Score
Oregon's Ruthy Hebard is an AA ????? Let's not get carried away here. I realize that she made All Pac 12 team but that conference nominates 15 people for the All conference team.

AA????? Not after the way Vadeeva handled her in the U19 championship!! I must admit the kid has a lot of potential to be great. But she has a LONG way to go before she can be put in the AA conversation.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I think Hebard needs to get in line behind some older, fellow Pac 12 frontcourt players like Billings from UCLA and Anigwe from Cal. Her teammate Ionescu on the other hand I could see blowing up and challenging for first team AA this coming season.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
AA????? Not after the way Vadeeva handled her in the U19 championship!! I must admit the kid has a lot of potential to be great. But she has a LONG way to go before she can be put in the AA conversation.
Vadeeva handled everyone in the Gold Medal Game and she is a Pro, right?

Reaction Score
Vadeeva handled everyone in the Gold Medal Game and she is a Pro, right?
Pro or not, Vadeeva is only 18 years of age. Both Holmes and Hebard were considered two of the best freshman forwards in the country last year. Had Vadeeva competed in the NCAA would she have been a AA? My Guess is yes. My point is Hebard has to grow more before she can be considered an AA.

Reaction Score
"The idea that you have to reach some sort of play to earn being named to the MLB Hall of Fame.
How Tim Raines and Jim Rice finally earn their induction into the HoF after 10+ years of not getting the 75% needed for induction! Their stats never changed but influential people in the Stat Field got behind them & finally got them in!
How is Edgar Martinez of the Seattle Mariners not in the HoF? He's one of the 5-6 greatest hitters of the modern game but he played mostly at Designated Hitter his later career because of bad knees, and the "Powers that Be" can't have DH's in the HoF with FULL TIME players!
IMHO the biggest induction qualification should be, DID THAT PLAYER DOMINATE MLB during his era playing the game? If yes then he deserves to be named to the HoF! The stats are all comparable at that level!" Players such as: Jim Kaat, Jack Morris, Edgar Martinez, Mike Messina, among others dominated MLB when they played!

Same thing with All-Stars or BB AA's or any high awards based on success! What team they play for is immaterial and shouldn't enter in to the discussion for a yea or nea vote! The 5 UCONN starters this season are ALL going to be among the individual elite of the College game, just because they all happen to play for UCONN should not disqualify any of them from being considered for that honor! Now of course they have to play up to the elite level to be named, not on PAST accomplishes!
And I'm not preaching this because I'm an arrogant UCONN fan! If 5 great players were on the court for ND or Baylor or Stanford they should be afforded the same rights as any other players!
Don Mattingly

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Their preseason team rankings are interestingly off base too. Sorry stwainfan@, but your team is not 10 coming in.

Reaction Score

Don Mattingly

cbraarj- - - Yes TOTALLY! You can make a case for Thurman Munson TO HoF, IMO!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
For anyone who may be curious, the college basketball editions of Lindy's and Street & Smith is on the market. The only constant beside Uconn being ranked number one is Gabby, Napheesa, and KLS being first team AA. Azura is second team Street & Smith and I believe third team on Lindy's. For those of you who are wondering about Nurse, her name is not on any list and should not be, imo. However, if she plays the whole season the way she played at the end of last season, she will make some post season AA team and those are the only ones that matter. Also, even though my favorite players are Gabby and Napheesa, There is something about the way KLS looked on the Italy trip that makes me think she is ready to play at a POY level and will be a strong contender for the award. I believe the kind of confidence she had in high school she now has in college. I know the competition they played was not high level but, there was just something about the way she carried herself on the court. Her confidence seemed to be higher than ever. Of course I may be wrong (strange things do happen sometimes) but, I think she is ready to contend with any player in WBB for POY.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
For anyone who may be curious, the college basketball editions of Lindy's and Street & Smith is on the market. The only constant beside Uconn being ranked number one is Gabby, Napheesa, and KLS being first team AA. Azura is second team Street & Smith and I believe third team on Lindy's. For those of you who are wondering about Nurse, her name is not on any list and should not be, imo. However, if she plays the whole season the way she played at the end of last season, she will make some post season AA team and those are the only ones that matter. Also, even though my favorite players are Gabby and Napheesa, There is something about the way KLS looked on the Italy trip that makes me think she is ready to play at a POY level and will be a strong contender for the award. I believe the kind of confidence she had in high school she now has in college. I know the competition they played was not high level but, there was just something about the way she carried herself on the court. Her confidence seemed to be higher than ever. Of course I may be wrong (strange things do happen sometimes) but, I think she is ready to contend with any player in WBB for POY.
I agree that Lou was aggressive and stellar in Italy. She'll be expanding her game over the next 2 seasons and should be an Olympian in time. She should get some NPOY votes the next 2 years.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
For those of you who are wondering about Nurse, her name is not on any list and should not be, imo. However, if she plays the whole season the way she played at the end of last season, she will make some post season AA team and those are the only ones that matter.

Which of these players would you think was more deserving to be on an All-American list?

Player A: 16 Points, 4 Rebounds, 1.5 Assists, 37 assists - 63 turnovers, 37% FG, 28% 3-pt

Player B: 13 points, 2 rebounds, 4 Assists, 128 assists - 50 turnovers, 48% FG, 46% 3-pt

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom